Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

ABE - Tanabe Replica or Megan racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
08G37SBLUE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ABE - Tanabe Replica or Megan racing

I'm Interested in the Tanabe dual canister axle back (well the replicas) and the Megan racing.

I love the VQ stock exhaust sound. I just want it louder and little deeper.

Which one would make more sense as far as noise goes? I doubt either of them make extra power. Maybe save little weight.

Megan racing is nice because like the tips but I also like the dual canisters as well.

Megan quality is good. Whats the quality of the tanabe replicas (welds, SS, Packing, fitment). Are they all the same. They range in price from $180-300 on ebay?

I was thinking doing either axle back, leave the rest of the factory piping and maybe do HFC's for actual power. Which one would also sound better if I added HFC's in the future?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 AM
08G37SBLUE

I know I want either the Megan or the Tanabe Replica.The more I watch youtube videos and peoples experience adding High flow cats just make it sound raspy (not as much as test pipes but I don't want rasp at all)

Maybe I'll just stick with getting a true CAI and Axle back Exhaust. These cars have enough power anyways. Just looking for mostly sound.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
rza2042

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stock intake is already a true CAI.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 AM
rza2042

Go with the aFe drop ins for a filter replacement.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 08G37SBLUE
I'm Interested in the Tanabe dual canister axle back (well the replicas) and the Megan racing.

I love the VQ stock exhaust sound. I just want it louder and little deeper.

Which one would make more sense as far as noise goes? I doubt either of them make extra power. Maybe save little weight.

Megan racing is nice because like the tips but I also like the dual canisters as well.

Megan quality is good. Whats the quality of the tanabe replicas (welds, SS, Packing, fitment). Are they all the same. They range in price from $180-300 on ebay?

I was thinking doing either axle back, leave the rest of the factory piping and maybe do HFC's for actual power. Which one would also sound better if I added HFC's in the future?

Thanks
Why not go with quality, authentic, real parts? Your car isn't a 1995 Civic! Tanabe isn't that expensive and list in the marketplace sometimes. Don't buy an ebay replica made by some Tranny coke ladyboy hookah in Thailand. It will rust and break at the welds... and ruin your day like herpagonasyphilaids.

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 03-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Not all high flow cats make it sound raspy...I have Fast Intentions resonated high flow cats and there's no rasp or drone at all. I've read that all the other brands...especially the non-resonated ones have rasp and drone
Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM
rza2042

Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
Why not go with quality, authentic, real parts? Your car isn't a 1995 Civic! Tanabe isn't that expensive and list in the marketplace sometimes. Don't buy an ebay replica made by some Tranny coke ladyboy hookah in Thailand. It will rust and break at the welds... and ruin your day like herpagonasyphilaids.
^lol,well put
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
08G37SBLUE

Is there any benefit over the stock air filter other then it's reuseable.

I was looking at the CAI they make. Is there really any added power? is the noise noticeable?

Originally Posted by rza2042
Go with the aFe drop ins for a filter replacement.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 PM
08G37SBLUE

I agree besides the price of the tanabe. $800-900 seems a lot of just two canister mufflers.

Is the Megan axle back worth it? The sound seems noticeable over stock as long as you have the silencers removed. Any power difference or is it just lighter and more aggressive noise.

Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
08G37SBLUE

Are the high flow cats worth the extra $500+, gains noticeable.? Sound much louder?

Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Not all high flow cats make it sound raspy...I have Fast Intentions resonated high flow cats and there's no rasp or drone at all. I've read that all the other brands...especially the non-resonated ones have rasp and drone
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM
08G37SBLUE

I was looking at the Kinetix High Flow cats. What do you think about them?

Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM
DeamonG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imo Leave it stock don't buy buget parts. If u can't do sumfin right the first time don't do it all.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
rza2042

Originally Posted by 08G37SBLUE
Is there any benefit over the stock air filter other then it's reuseable.

I was looking at the CAI they make. Is there really any added power? is the noise noticeable?
The aFe filter is a high flow filter and does not need to be oiled after washing. From all the reading I've done on this forum, IMO, the best bang for the buck is a drop in filter such as aFe or K&N. Some even report a loss in power after adding an aftermarket intake. In addition, you could change out the post MAF tubes (Mishimoto, Z1 or HKS...) for a little more sound and possibly better throttle response. I feel the drop ins and tubes have made a slight performance increase for me at a fraction of the cost of the Stillen Gen 3/install. As far as exhaust, a quality catback and/or high flow cats seem to be the way to go for additional power. To maximize the gains from all your mods, a tune is then necessary. You should search the forum and come to your own conclusion based on all the knowledge that's already here.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Craig6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the K&N typhoon intake and Tanabe ABE. The Tanabe sound is priceless IMO and I don't think a replica can match the materials, quality and fit of them. They line up perfectly and don't really appear modified to the untrained eye. Until you look down to see the canisters.
I'm hooked on the Tanabe and just about to order the y-pipe and mid pipe to complete the system.

I don't hear people mention the K&N intake much which surprises me. It's great. Its not just a dropin, its a specific design for our cars. It's almost a combo of a short ram and CAI. Just replaces the intake tubes adds the cone filters and adds heat shields for both sides. The heat shields are perfectly designed for the space and powdercoated black so they also don't look modified.

The exhaust sound clearly over takes the intake but I did have the intake on alone for about a day. You definitely hear it when you open the throttle. It's a loud sucking noise like you hear on some big turbos right before the whistle takes over. It's very cool.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
08G37SBLUE

Well I'm gonna take your guys advice and not go with any ebay exhaust/replica's.

I think the Megan racing is good or something better. I can't afford both cat-back and high-flow cats. Which one typically give you more more a full cat-back system or HFC's with stock cat back exhaust.

I'm back and forth with the Intake. I have my reasons why I don't want the K&N, JWT, Injen SRI or Injen & Stillen CAI.

I'm down to picking between the R2C or the Takeda CAI... I want best performance/sound...

Originally Posted by rza2042
The aFe filter is a high flow filter and does not need to be oiled after washing. From all the reading I've done on this forum, IMO, the best bang for the buck is a drop in filter such as aFe or K&N. Some even report a loss in power after adding an aftermarket intake. In addition, you could change out the post MAF tubes (Mishimoto, Z1 or HKS...) for a little more sound and possibly better throttle response. I feel the drop ins and tubes have made a slight performance increase for me at a fraction of the cost of the Stillen Gen 3/install. As far as exhaust, a quality catback and/or high flow cats seem to be the way to go for additional power. To maximize the gains from all your mods, a tune is then necessary. You should search the forum and come to your own conclusion based on all the knowledge that's already here.
Originally Posted by Craig6mt
I've got the K&N typhoon intake and Tanabe ABE. The Tanabe sound is priceless IMO and I don't think a replica can match the materials, quality and fit of them. They line up perfectly and don't really appear modified to the untrained eye. Until you look down to see the canisters.
I'm hooked on the Tanabe and just about to order the y-pipe and mid pipe to complete the system.

I don't hear people mention the K&N intake much which surprises me. It's great. Its not just a dropin, its a specific design for our cars. It's almost a combo of a short ram and CAI. Just replaces the intake tubes adds the cone filters and adds heat shields for both sides. The heat shields are perfectly designed for the space and powdercoated black so they also don't look modified.

The exhaust sound clearly over takes the intake but I did have the intake on alone for about a day. You definitely hear it when you open the throttle. It's a loud sucking noise like you hear on some big turbos right before the whistle takes over. It's very cool.

Quick Reply: ABE - Tanabe Replica or Megan racing