Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Status elite intakes ftw

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Saad Ashraf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Status elite intakes ftw

Finally got around doing something to the G and bought myself a set of Status Elite intakes, courtesy of TastefullyDoneG. Was mostly wanting to do something because I missed working on my car, as school keeps me busy. Was originally going to go with a different short ram but when I saw these I had to purchase them. The build quality is some of the best I've seen for intakes and the sound they make, good lord. MPGs have taken a hit but thats because I've been having so much fun with them. Heres a picture of them installed if anyone doesn't know what intake I'm talking about.

Status elite intakes ftw-nw5rjek.jpg
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM
PM-Performance

What are the ribs in the tubes? I would love to wish they are built in venturi plates but that is probably unrelistic.

Any other pictures or insight on any performance gains?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I think they're to reduce the diameter of the pipes at the MAF location to stock size to avoid throwing it all over the place
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by PM-Performance
What are the ribs in the tubes?
Do you mean those thick welds connecting the smaller diameter MAF section so the measured air volume is stock? Hmm... no heat shields, and hideous unpolished tubing. I don't get it.

As long as you don't open the hood and show it to anyone, and as long as you're OK with dumping the OEM cold-air design for a warm-air short-ram, then it's a fair trade-off for some nice engine bay noise. But I wouldn't do this, even if you gave it to me for free.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM
PM-Performance

Originally Posted by Rochester
Do you mean those thick welds connecting the smaller diameter MAF section so the measured air volume is stock? Hmm... no heat shields, and hideous unpolished tubing. I don't get it.

As long as you don't open the hood and show it to anyone, and as long as you're OK with dumping the OEM cold-air design for a warm-air short-ram, then it's a fair trade-off for some nice engine bay noise. But I wouldn't do this, even if you gave it to me for free.
well. . . I didnt want to be the one to say all that, but now that you mention it. lol
The welds threw me off though. I couldnt tell what it was for. So just a downsize at the MAF section then?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
As long as you don't open the hood and show it to anyone, and as long as you're OK with dumping the OEM cold-air design for a warm-air short-ram, then it's a fair trade-off for some nice engine bay noise.
Yes - many people may not be aware of this. The OEM boxes are fairly efficient and do a decent job of grabbing cold (non-engine-bay) air. I would assume most of these Short-ram intakes could actually degrade performance, but give a placebo effect due to the sound.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Saad Ashraf

I mostly bought them for the sound. StatusElite ran some dynos on it and it had a significant affect on the numbers.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/support...-orders-2.html

the dynos on this intake are on that link. Heres a link of them on the dyno and how they sound.

Maybe when summer gets here, itll zap the power but for someone on a limited budget and resources, they are amazing. Maybe once I graduate med school, I can invest in a cold air setup but for now, these will do. Plus they sound like no other intake I've ever heard.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Yep, that does sound nice. I suspect the K&N Typhoon and the Fujita sound very similar. In actuality, the unpolished Typhoon looks very similar to this intake of yours.

Always nice the hear a intake growl on the VQ when actually under load, rather than simply revving the car in idle. Much more realistic that way.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Glad to see something other than another G3 thread They sound aggressive and are limited from what I understand.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Saad Ashraf

Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
Glad to see something other than another G3 thread They sound aggressive and are limited from what I understand.
I did a bit of research before I bought them, only 22 were ever made for the G37 (I have 8/22). Its definitely nice to hear them at or above 4k rpm. They're quiet when they need to be but ridiculously loud when going WOT.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Nice sound clip, sound very similar to my Injen SRI.
I haven't had any mpg decrease w/ mine, and the sound is worth the price of admission, very happy w/ them.

Glad your happy w/ them, and nice to try something unique. Oh, and congrats on your pursuit of your Medical career