Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Adding Y-pipe and mid section to Tanabe axle back

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Craig6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Y-pipe and mid section to Tanabe axle back

I've had the Tanabe axle back system on my 2010 G37S for about a year and love it. Now I'm considering completing the system with their y-pipe and mid section. Does anyone have an opinion on how much louder it will be?
I love the growl its got but don't want to get obnoxious.

Will I notice any significant power increase? I put the K&N Typhoon intake on at the same time as the axle back and was disappointed I didn't notice any more power.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I had the Tanabe catback I loved it. I never had the axle back without the mid and Y-pipe so I can't really say much about the comparison but the catback sounds really mean and the tone is deep. It will be louder but not obnoxious. You will def see some gain in horsepower but im not going to estimate the amount because unless you do a dyno, you'll never really know for sure.

Originally Posted by Craig6mt
I've had the Tanabe axle back system on my 2010 G37S for about a year and love it. Now I'm considering completing the system with their y-pipe and mid section. Does anyone have an opinion on how much louder it will be?
I love the growl its got but don't want to get obnoxious.

Will I notice any significant power increase? I put the K&N Typhoon intake on at the same time as the axle back and was disappointed I didn't notice any more power.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I also have the Tanabe axle back - and like you, like the sound. It is quiet at idle and low-rpms until you step into it.

I was thinking of going with an Exhaust Depot Y-pipe and keeping the stock mid-pipe. From what I have read and figure out on my own, much of the sound 'control' is coming from the mid-pipe.

If I don't do the ED Y-pipe, I was contemplating a 'custom' set-up: simply have an exhaust shop fabricate 2.5" pipes from the cats -> X-pipe -> stock resonators (cutting mid-pipe in front of the resonators).

I am nervous about going full cat-back. I have read posts regarding low-rpm, part-throttle drone. I had that in my '06 350zr w/Nismo exhaust. That exhaust sounded glorious above 3k rpm...but the first time I drove it after the install (low rpm putting alond in traffic), I was looking for the fed-ex truck in my blind spot - lol. One of my wants w/my G is a good sounding but 'politically correct' (?) exhaust. I am taking it one step at a time.

Good Luck - and if you go w/full Tanabe, let us know what you think of the sound.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Craig6mt

Well the y-pipe and mid pipe are on order. Thanks to Charles and b2autodesigns. Called in my order and had the tracking# for the package 2 hours later. I added the Tanabe NF210 lowering springs for good measure.
I'll let everyone know how it sounds.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Zack342
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well the y-pipe and mid pipe are on order. Thanks to Charles and b2autodesigns. Called in my order and had the tracking# for the package 2 hours later. I added the Tanabe NF210 lowering springs for good measure.
Hi craig do you when your mid pipe and y come in do you can you share some of the pictures> I would like to get the tanabe catback but i am confused if there are 2 or 3 parts?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Craig6mt

It's three parts. Here's the part #s. I was confused for a while also. Everyone carries the axle back and y-pipe but you usually need to ask about the mid pipe.
T70132A Tanabe Medallio Touring Muffler (axle back)
T50132 Tanabe Coupe Center Pipe (mid pipe)
T50063 Tanabe Coupe Y-Pipe
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Mazaki

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Please do! My Typhoons are coming in tomorrow, and I've had the Tanabe Axleback for about two years, now. I've been eyeing the Y-pipe and Mid-pipe to finally go full catback to get some gains. Like you, I enjoy the classy, mild tone of the Tanabes, and I don't want my car to sound like some ricer Civic.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Craig6mt

It's all installed and fits great. The guys at the exhaust shop were drooling over the fit and build quality.
It doesn't hang too low so there's no worries if your dropped like I now am! You actually have get down on your knees to see all the piping from the back so it doesn't look all riced out.
You can feel it pull harder on the bottom end and top end rpms.
The sound is obviously louder than when I had the axleback alone but I wouldn't say it's obnoxious. You feel and hear more inside the cabin. You can creep around silently but once you hit 3k rpm watch out.
It's still one of the purest and most distinct exhaust notes. Not high pitched like a inline 4 cyl and not gurgling like a big V8. I'd describe it as more exotic and clean like the S4 or S5.
Name:  null_zps520d18de.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  9.2 KB
Name:  null_zps8e0f124e.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  11.1 KB
Name:  null_zps520d18de.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  9.2 KB
Name:  null_zps5370eec8.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  195.8 KB
Name:  null_zps550ce733.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  179.8 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
null_zps520d18de.jpg (9.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
What are you comparing to the Audi S4/S5? The exhaust note?
I can't speak for using the Tanabe Y-pipe with the axel back Tanabe portion. I did run the Tanabe Y-pipe with my Powerhouse Amuse for a few weeks. Was very quiet but raspy between 2.2k RPM's and 3,600 RPM. After changing it out to another Y, the car immediately felt less restricted and more responsive.

Build quality?? you can't be serious. I'm a JDM fan and I'll be the first to admit... Tanabe dropped the ball on the Y-pipe. The welds are some of the worst I've ever seen.

Zoom in at the welding on the Y-pipe. Ironically it doesn't look bad in marketing images.

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 05-12-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
What are you comparing to the Audi S4/S5? The exhaust note?
I can't speak for using the Tanabe Y-pipe with the axel back Tanabe portion. I did run the Tanabe Y-pipe with my Powerhouse Amuse for a few weeks. Was very quiet but raspy between 2.2k RPM's and 3,600 RPM. After changing it out to another Y, the car immediately felt less restricted and more responsive.

Build quality?? you can't be serious. I'm a JDM fan and I'll be the first to admit... Tanabe dropped the ball on the Y-pipe. The welds are some of the worst I've ever seen.

Zoom in at the welding on the Y-pipe. Ironically it doesn't look bad in marketing images.
Notice the sections arent symmetrical either!!!

Here's pure JDM, FUJITSUBO!!!!

Name:  ypipeinstalled.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  112.9 KB
Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Notice the sections arent symmetrical either!!!

Here's pure JDM, FUJITSUBO!!!!
Fujitsubo is an excellent choice! I ran that on my Nismo Z. Fujitsubo makes the Nismo aftermarket exhaust for the Z33/350z. Much higher quality.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
Fujitsubo is an excellent choice! I ran that on my Nismo Z. Fujitsubo makes the Nismo aftermarket exhaust for the Z33/350z. Much higher quality.
My system is all Fujitsubo from the cat back.
A little deeper than OEM sport muffler at idle and low throttle. Hard throttle is noticeable, but adult!!
Old 07-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Santo542

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the tenabe axleback on my G now and I'm lowered on Eibach pro springs and I seem to be scraping occasionally on my stock Y pipe. From pictures the tenabe Y pipe looks like it doesn't drop as much as the stock pipe, so I think I would scrape less if i got it. Anyone have any input?

Thanks!!