Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM
jojobucks
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My word, what you say actually makes sense, I never thought of a filter that way. One fact that many people today do not understand however, is the belief that a really really dirty air filter will hurt gas mileage. This is not true, regardless of what K&N says. A nearly plugged air filter will only reduce HP in modern cars, and will have no effect on gas mileage. Why--because the amount of air entering the engine will be mixed with the correct amount of gasoline for optimum combustion. Does anybody dissagree?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Here is a video from the tube and it explain more:

Impact of a Dirty Air Filter on a Modern Engine

Cheers.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 AM
DeamonG37s

cover ur mouth with a dirty rag and run a mile. Now do it with a clean cloth. See my point... Your gonna be more efficient with a clean cloth over your mouth. Same goes with cars, intake is your mouth and exhaust is your ***. More air in more air out more efficient. Dont know where you guys get the idea of a dirty filter being more efficient, but im glad ur not my mechanic. lol you guys can run ur filters till their kaka brown, but im sure those that do are only leasing and not actually owning the 45k vehicle and to ignore a 30 dollar once a year thing boggles my mind.

Last edited by DeamonG37s; 03-20-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
...has anyone had success using the K&N high flow filters? Or should i just go to a CAI setup and not bother with those? Looking for some opinions..
Originally Posted by jojobucks
Concerning air filters, don't make the mistake I did and replace the stock filters with K&N filters. I thought I would buy a pair because they can be cleaned and re-used and are probably useable for many years. They are also advertised to give you a couple extra horse power. After I installed them, I decided to check out what others had to say about their performance. They cost $60 each plus the necessary cleaning solvent and re-oiler which comes to about $135 total. If you don't mind spending that much on filters that's OK, but the bad news is --these filters do NOT filter as well as the factory filter. You get a little more air flow thru the K&N, but by doing so, larger particles of dirt will get through the filter. I have also heard that if you over oil the filter, it has been known to do damage to the mass airflow sensors. I could tell absolutely no difference in sound or performance with the K&N's. I eventually took mine out, sold them on ebay, and re-installed the factory filters. In my opinion, K&N filters are a waste of good money.
Instead of going with a K&N drop in filter that requires cleaning/oil kit, I went with an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in filter.
The aFe does not require any oil and can be cleaned with soap & water, so the prevention of any oil damaging the maf sensors and cost of cleaning kits is none!

Here is a thread with more information about the aFe Pro S:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...in-filter.html

Here is my thread regarding my Mishimoto Silicone Tubes and aFe Pro S drop-in filters:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-vs-stock.html

I'm quite happy with this set up...it is still using the OEM intake system, but with improvement to the air flow!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I second the aFe Pro Dry S drop-ins, been using these for a couple of years now and they are working out great. Just cleaned them up with some Simple Green and water in the sink, no re-oiling kit or special cleaners required for the cotton media.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I put a Jim Wolf intake on my car shortly after I bought it. I have 30k miles on it and have had zero issues.

The filters are identical to the K&N and I've cleaned them and oiled them once.

Name:  intake.jpg
Views: 4375
Size:  67.8 KB
Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
I put a Jim Wolf intake on my car shortly after I bought it. I have 30k miles on it and have had zero issues.

The filters are identical to the K&N and I've cleaned them and oiled them once.

Looks real similar to my Injen, your tubes are a bit longer w/ shorter filters and just the inner heat shields. My filters are the dry Amsoil type, 5k miles on mine thus far and love the sound w/ no mpg loss.
MACS, what did that intake setup cost, not familiar w/ that brand but looks good in there
Damn my engine bay is dirty
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my country the dealership replaces them every 40k Kms..
Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 PM
DeamonG37s

Depends on your driving conditions. Their is no set time or kms/mph but inspection should be done prior to 40k. If u go thru constructions zone frequently u wiLl be dirty before 40km. Jus check it when u do ur oil, its just a clip takes 5 seconds. You can even shake em off and re insert the filter to release the big debree in their.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
blnewt - just under $600, but I had it done at the dealer because I had a $300 credit there that I used.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Newt, I suspect the pop-chargers on that Jim Wolf intake setup have a big velocity stack integrated into the design. IDK about that K&N Typhoon of yours.

All guesswork, though, looking at the filters.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Damn my engine bay is dirty
That's because you keep posting the same dirty engine bay photo over and over. Clean it up, man! Take new pictures.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
[QUOTE=blnewt;3603224]Damn my engine bay is dirty

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's because you keep posting the same dirty engine bay photo over and over. Clean it up, man! Take new pictures.

One word Newt...M-I-S-H-I-M-O-T-O!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
One word Newt...M-I-S-H-I-M-O-T-O!
Nah, all he needs is elbow grease and motivation.

The G's bay is a very simple layout, and mostly covered. So once it gets clean, it's quite easy to keep it that way.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Those Mishimotos would be a nice touch in there. I've got the bones on my G just about where I want it (once Johns' sways transaction is complete) so then it's on to the skin.
Got a DA, some pads, polish, clay bar, carnauba wax, so once I get working on that I'm sure the engine bay will be the final piece. Oh, and then maybe find someone that knows how to take decent photos
Wish me luck
BTW, nice engine bay John, I think I will have to take you up on your tutorial when the time comes.

What were we talking about again???
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 AM
DeamonG37s

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nah, all he needs is elbow grease and motivation.

The G's bay is a very simple layout, and mostly covered. So once it gets clean, it's quite easy to keep it that way.

NiCce! Cool dip stick, matches the rad cap nicely which goes with the strut bar. Very Niccce

Quick Reply: Air filters?