Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tekeda CAI help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 PM
tattoo400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just cheap....it literally fell apart after getting ripped in one spot....I wish the intake company would have just invested in some QUALITY hoses/couplers....jeez

[IMG]Tekeda CAI help-zykld.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Str8shooter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks pretty bad. You need to contact the company ASAP, if you have not done this already. They should be able to replace the failed hoses/couplers.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tattoo400
This is just cheap....it literally fell apart after getting ripped in one spot....I wish the intake company would have just invested in some QUALITY hoses/couplers....jeez

[IMG][/IMG]
if a piece of those rubber went inside your engine then you're in a big mess
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
if a piece of those rubber went inside your engine then you're in a big mess
Yikes. Lets hope that's not the case.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redrover23
Yikes. Lets hope that's not the case.
**** bruh. Hope that didn hAppen.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you serious?! The saga of your failed install continues...

For all others interested in this Takeda long tube intake, please take note that the coupler is not of the highest quality, but with the right tools, a little time, and a little patience, you can install this intake and it will work wonderfully!

Sorry to flame, but you post multiple problem threads, don't respond to advice given, and then somehow after replacing the stock intakes you managed to get a piece of the coupler in the stock unit? That is not Takeda's fault, nor the fault of the coupler. You just suck at this. Stock intakes for you!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:00 AM
tattoo400

I understand the need to flame but I am half blind and I try to use my brain more than my eye's for certain things but when the perfect storm of BS hits...it makes it seem as though I am stupid and that I suck at things that are really not that hard (CAI install) so yes I blame a crappy coupler...I got lucky that I stuck my hand in the throttle body and found the piece of coupler that was causing all the trouble. Now I would like to clear the check engine light to see if it comes back....if it does then maybe it sucked in a smaller piece of the coupler...if not than huge bullet dodged no thanks to the crappy quality of said coupler....Any advice on a scanner to clear the and read the codes tripped by this mishap?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 AM
daicon0

weiboy called it! that **** knows everything, like did OJ really do it? lol

any decent obd reader, say $40+, should be able to give you the code. there's no way you can screw this part up...
Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
tattoo400

Lol....I ordered one so I will know as soon as I get it......I really hope the motor isn't in trouble do to particulates entering the intake system....when I got it running again it sounded fine and revved normally soooooo and this is the first time I ever had this kind of problem with a simple install (for the record). I also ordered an Injen short ram intake so THAT should be no problem as I don't have to remove the bumper again or deal with crappy materials (I refuse to accept scorn or ridicule for failed parts btw)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 AM
tattoo400

just to clear things up a bit....the piece that got stuck in the throttle body was already there so after I installed the stock air boxes the problem persisted so I took them off and reached in the throttle body and found the rogue piece causing all the problems. Once removed the motor started as normal and idled as normal.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
criledo
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The code you are getting is most probably one that was caused earlier (i.e. a missfire due to the malfunctioning throttle body.....) and needs to be reset. Any auto store will have a suitable scanner and if the above is the case, you can simply reset it. With that said, I would try to rebuild the rubber and make absolutely sure that you didn't get any of it inside the motor.......
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I understand the need to flame but I am half blind and I try to use my brain more than my eye's for certain things but when the perfect storm of BS hits...it makes it seem as though I am stupid and that I suck at things that are really not that hard (CAI install) so yes I blame a crappy coupler...I got lucky that I stuck my hand in the throttle body and found the piece of coupler that was causing all the trouble. Now I would like to clear the check engine light to see if it comes back....if it does then maybe it sucked in a smaller piece of the coupler...if not than huge bullet dodged no thanks to the crappy quality of said coupler....Any advice on a scanner to clear the and read the codes tripped by this mishap?
Props to you for attempting the install without full vision. You are however gambling with a $25k car
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Pep Boys will read it and clear it for free
Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This reminds me of the first time I told a "your mom" joke and the person replied that their mother had died. They were f'ing with me thankfully, but in this case I can understand how a vision impairment would make things harder, a lot harder.

I am still convinced that the coupler is not all that bad, it just needs to be put in place with a little more care and attention than would be required for a more robust part. In any case, the idea mentioned above about trying to glue the thing all back together to make sure you got all the pieces is a really good one. Definitely do that.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry guys but you don't just glue a hose/coupler like this together and hope it will last. Not going to happen and I wouldn't trust it. From what I can see in the picture is that this material seems to be made of rubber. Is that correct? If so, then why? What's wrong with going with a high quality silicon hose coupler? Since they are reinforced they can be used on a pressurized setup as well as a vacuum or NA setup with great results. I mean you spend all this time and money for these things and then they are cheapened up with some poor quality hoses or couplings. I doubt this would have happen with a silicon hose coupler. JMO -ICBW

Al

Quick Reply: Tekeda CAI help