Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tekeda CAI help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tattoo400
Lol! I knew it was Takeda and not the other way around....all I had to do was read the intake pipe! lol...duuuhhh
HAHAHAHA!!

One thing about the shield, I'm sure it looks pretty good behind the grill.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:52 AM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
LOL...yea another help thread. I told you on your other HELP thread to contact AFE and they would replace it for you...what were you waiting for?
Other help thread!! Well I wasted my time trying to help I guess. Haha. Looks like it worked out though...
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BurdEmelry
You can of course contact Takeda yourself and see if a replacement is possible.
That was suggested in the first reply to this post.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:10 PM
tattoo400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poorly designed CAI!

Wow, what a pain in the ***! I still hold by my statement that the Takeda CAI system is poorly designed. I had it installed for less than a week and the one rubber elbow on the drivers side was ripped upon installation....WELL, today the G just stopped running all together and I checked the elbow and it is all but completely mangled! FN CHEAP!!! I am just gunna sell it and buy a RAM air intake system and save myself the trouble and worry! what a POS.....so beware people......you can install the CAI system if you want but beware that it may end up just flat out failing and costing you a tow to your local dealer or you house......NOT happy with the system at all....
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Did you ever contact aFe with this problem? I know a lot of people have that intake installed on their G's, including me and have never had a single problem with it. Dont you think if it was a POS product people wouldnt buy it? I think it is more likely that you got a bad coupler or just installed it wrong. And im sure if its a bad coupler aFe would replace it free of cost. I work very closely with them and they are all great people over there. Try giving them a call (951) 493-7100. I also see that your local, aFe is just in Corona, you could always try going there and showing them your problem. Im sure they will help you out.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Intakes are worthless on our cars.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pauliewalnutzz
Intakes are worthless on our cars.
Makes them sound nice at least.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
tattoo400

I know I was a little hot in my "POS" designation for the Takeda CAI, but I know the coupler was rather cheap feeling and it tore really easily (which I still find to be lame) but I will likely just sell it and get an Injen RAM air set up. Just the fact that you have to run the coupler through the radiator core support, which reduces the airflow significantly, is a poor design in my book. Had the G towed home and I REALLY hope it gave me trouble because of the intake....if not.....then I don't know what's wrong with it.....I haven't done anything else to the motor sooooooooo it HAS to be the CAI (I'm guessing the MAF's aren't happy). As soon as I get home I am putting the stock air boxes back on and selling the CAI to get the money for a RAM air system.....so tired of taking the bumper on and off! I ordered another coupler but I don't wanna deal with th it again.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by tattoo400
Wow, what a pain in the ***! I still hold by my statement that the Takeda CAI system is poorly designed. I had it installed for less than a week and the one rubber elbow on the drivers side was ripped upon installation....WELL, today the G just stopped running all together and I checked the elbow and it is all but completely mangled! FN CHEAP!!! I am just gunna sell it and buy a RAM air intake system and save myself the trouble and worry! what a POS.....so beware people......you can install the CAI system if you want but beware that it may end up just flat out failing and costing you a tow to your local dealer or you house......NOT happy with the system at all....
It's not the system lol. Either you got a bad part or you did a poor job installing. Did you take out the air "scoop" that was in the radiator support? Or did you try to squeeze the coupler through the VERY small hole?

I don't recall anyone else having issues with this.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
tattoo400

Yup, took out the "scoops" and still the hole is TINY....so I guess I just got a bum coupler.....story of my ***** fukn life.....the system works great other than the cheap couplers....so in that regard I say.......lame! And if the kit only makes it "sound cool" than I shouldn't lose much by switching to the RAM air set up......at least with that you can see the filters lol
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
did one of your MAF connectors come loose, or did you not seat them both in completely? A disconnected or faulty MAF connection will make the car run terribly and very likely stall.

I, too have a Takeda CAI and agree the tolerances aren't good at all. But what you are describing sounds more like a MAF issue to me.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 PM
tattoo400

HELP!!! please tell me my G isn't dead!!!

I just re installed the stock air boxes and the car STILL will not start!!! WTF?! please tell me I didn't spend 25K on a lemon G....it starts, then revs to redline then dies and will not start again for a while.....any idea's??? if not I guess I will have to take my chances with the stealership.....
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pull the battery and let it sit for awhile then try again and if no luck have it towed to the dealer
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
tattoo400

Okay god damn what a FN mess! I stand by my anger for the cheap *** Takeda supplied couplers......I undid the air box for the side that had the torn coupler and what did I find?? a piece of the coupler!!! so I removed it and the G started and idled as it should.....just has a check engine light now. How do I read and erase the code that was thrown? I have an OB2 scanner but it seems to be out dated and will not read the G.....I am pretty miffed about the coupler almost destroying my motor but WHEW! what a bullet dodged....now just need to clear the code.....
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Wyldfyer

^^^ Yup! Sounds that way!

Quick Reply: Tekeda CAI help