Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

HFC noob questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
HFC noob questions...

I've decided to change my gameplan for the direction I'm going with my exhaust. While I'm still set on the Borla catback bc of its deep rumble, I've decided to install HFCs first. Since I'm going with a Borla catback in the future, I've decided on Berk HFCs as I've read that they match up best with Borla.

My question is, what can I expect with the HFCs? Almost every thread has different responses. I've read that they give the stock exhaust a deeper sound, but my biggest concern is the amount of drone, if any, I'll get by adding the Berk HFCs. Guys who have these installed can you please share your exeriences please? Any other comments, tips and advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 AM
chicago_animal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL! I was going to post a thread like this also. I read that HFC will make it deeper while some say it will make it sound Higher and Raspy. WHICH IS IT?! I cant use that awesome Borla on my car as it doesnt work with AWD so I might be better off with some HFC if it makes a deeper growl.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Dr.Pat

LOL I was actually gonna send you a link to this thread bc I figured you'd have the same questions. That's exactly what I've found too...some say deep rumble sound, some say high and raspy, some say drone, some say no drone...wtf?!? lol

I THINK different HFC brands produce different sounds...also most people have HFCs paired with an aftermarket exhaust...I'm guessing that's why there's such variation in people's responses. A lot of knowledgable guys on here so hopefully we'll get SOME consensus
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Sound is subjective. I had the berks with the infinity sport muffler, it sounded good but there was some rasp. No drone at all, you won't have to worry about drone unless you have an aftermarket exhaust. I had to get a resonated y-pipe from motordyne with my berks and tanabe to get rid of the rasp, but there was drone, although I really don't mind it. If you want no rasp I'd suggest getting resonated HFC's. FI makes great products as well as motordyne, although the later are test pipes. Berks makes a quality product but IMO you need to pair it with a resonated y-pipe to get rid of the rasp.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Rasp is the answer.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Dr.Pat

Originally Posted by Seraphix
Sound is subjective. I had the berks with the infinity sport muffler, it sounded good but there was some rasp. No drone at all, you won't have to worry about drone unless you have an aftermarket exhaust. I had to get a resonated y-pipe from motordyne with my berks and tanabe to get rid of the rasp, but there was drone, although I really don't mind it. If you want no rasp I'd suggest getting resonated HFC's. FI makes great products as well as motordyne, although the later are test pipes. Berks makes a quality product but IMO you need to pair it with a resonated y-pipe to get rid of the rasp.
Thanks for the info. How much rasp are we talking? Similar to stock or civic fart can full of angry bees kind of rasp? lol

So if I go with a resonated HFC...like FI...it'll have the same deep sound and no drone as I would get from the Berks,just without the rasp? If I go FI resonated HFCs does that limit me to a FI catback in the future? I know other brands will "fit" but will the sound be off?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Won't sound like a civic lol, but it will be raspier than stock. You have to hear it in person. Resonated HFCs are your best bet for no rasp and no drone. And no your not stuck with an FI set up if you go with there cats. I'm running there double res test pipes with motordyne res. y-pipe and tanabe mid and axle back.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Dr.Pat

LOL *phew* k good! Yes not having rasp or drone is important. I've just read a few threads saying they aren't as loud and deep as the Berks, but the fact that so many people say Berks will be raspy i may just go with FI RHFCs. If they're louder and deeper than stock, and they give me some bump in performance I'll be happy
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Dr.Pat

Soooooo I went in a COMPLETELY different direction than I had planned lol. Just got off the phone with Tony at FI and ordered the FI resonated HFCs. For anybody that hasn't done business with him, he's a great guy. He gave me an explanation on what to expect from the HFCs, explained what an O2 bung is (NEVER heard of that before), explained the difference between resonated and non-resonated, and told me about future options in terms of catbacks. He said that he doesn't have any in stock so it'll take about 1-2 weeks before they're ready to ship. I won't be charged until they are shipped.

I decided against the Berks as I initially had planned because every review I read on them mentioned a significant increase in rasp. From what I've read, the FI RHFCs should give me a nice, clear, deep sound without any rasp or drone, and a nice bump in performance. I'll be sure to post sound clips as soon as their installed.

I really appreciate all the help and advice
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
chicago_animal

Yeah lets hear what happens. So the FI RHFCS will give us what you and I are looking for?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Dr.Pat

I hope so! I'll be sure to post a review and some video clips once I have them installed
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Espig37s

Good info, might be following your route.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Seraphix
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Thanks for the info. How much rasp are we talking? Similar to stock or civic fart can full of angry bees kind of rasp? lol

So if I go with a resonated HFC...like FI...it'll have the same deep sound and no drone as I would get from the Berks,just without the rasp? If I go FI resonated HFCs does that limit me to a FI catback in the future? I know other brands will "fit" but will the sound be off?

Great info^^

Fast Intentions products are direct replacement of stock. Fitment is DEAD ON, and quality is as good as it gets.

There are Berks which are 200 cell HFCs. These are EXTREMELY raspy HFCs.

Then there are Fast Intentions HFCs, Resonated HFCs, and Resonated Test pipes. These are your best options to avoid rasp, yet gain power and a deep throaty sound.

I highly recommend resonated HFCs. From personal experience, there's just no other way to go. There's zero rasp, zero drone, & DEFINITE power increase!

I just became an exclusive rep for Fast Intentions, so please feel free to PM me with any inquires or questions in the future.

Thanks!
-Lance
GOTORacing
President Infiniti/Nissan Division
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
chicago_animal

Can you give me some info on what is the O2 Bung.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Dr.Pat

Originally Posted by chicago_animal
Can you give me some info on what is the O2 Bung.
Oh Tony explained this to me but I don't remember...all I remember is that it was only needed in specific situations...none of which include daily driving. I'm sure someone else will know

Quick Reply: HFC noob questions...