Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

High flow cat with stock headers and exhaust - how will it sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
High flow cat with stock headers and exhaust - how will it sound?

As the subject states, I am curious as to how the combination of completely stock CBE and headers, coupled with Berk (or similar) high flow cats would sound on a g37 sedan. Will it rasp? Drone? Or will it just sound a bit more aggressive?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,652 Likes on 3,479 Posts
Kind of an odd question, because headers will negate the cats.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Kind of an odd question, because headers will negate the cats.
Did you read OP's post?

He's only swapping out the cats, everything else will remain stock

I think it would sound nice, deeper & louder stock note basically
Old 04-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Did you read OP's post?

He's only swapping out the cats, everything else will remain stock
Did you read it? He said he wants High Flow Cats with headers and a stock cat-back.

Let's assume he doesn't know what headers are... there are lots of videos available. Youtube is fun.

Before & After BERK HFC's - YouTube

Last edited by Rochester; 04-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
G37performance (03-11-2014)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
completely stock CBE and headers
I think Sam is right. Judging by the op's title and his wording I would think its safe to say he is just talking about replacing the cats. To the OP it sounds pretty good. Just my $.02.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM
ashmostro

Yep fellas, only item I am talking about replacing are the cats. Stock headers, stock CBE. Sorry for the confusion.

The reason I asked is, sound doesn't always do what you expect it to. I worry about resonance weirdness and potential resulting nasty sounds like rasp on overrun, and drone at specific RPMs on the freeway. These are both things I despise.

What I'm looking for is reduced backpressure, with slightly more aggressive tone and snarl, but not an "aftermarket" sound level. Also, I don't like how a lot of the aftermarket exhausts look conspicuous. Stock looks great to me. I like sleepers (that's just my style, I don't judge what others prefer).

Thanks for your opinions (keep em coming!) Also, thanks for the youtube link. I also saw some of those vids but the fact is, mics don't hear the same way humans do, and there's little frame of reference of sound level to make an assessment off of. I trust your opinions more than I trust the recordings.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ashmostro
Also, thanks for the youtube link. I also saw some of those vids but the fact is, mics don't hear the same way humans do...
No problem. True enough about videos. Even more so, revving the engine while in neutral, with a microphone at a fixed point, is entirely different than an engine under load. That particular video is pretty good, though, with a decent before/after comparison. And that "after" component is nice.

As for the confusion... tubular exhaust manifolds are headers.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Redpit

My only experience with HFC's was not a good one. It did sound nice, but constant cel's was a pain. Especially in a state where you can't pass yearly inspections with a cel. This was all on an RX-8 though, but I'll never mess with HFC's again.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by Rochester

As for the confusion... tubular exhaust manifolds are headers.
I know... what about my posts implied that I didn't? I just looked to see if I wrote something to that effect but don't see that I did... ?

thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by Redpit
My only experience with HFC's was not a good one. It did sound nice, but constant cel's was a pain. Especially in a state where you can't pass yearly inspections with a cel. This was all on an RX-8 though, but I'll never mess with HFC's again.
Hmm, were you not running the O2 sensor, or was it running in the wrong location (ie after the cat)?

If this is going to happen with my car i wouldn't want to do it, but I though the CELs on our rides came more from test pipes than cats. Right?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Redpit

Yeah the G may be different, but it just left such a bad taste in my mouth that I won't personally mess with it again. Regarding the O2 sensors, yeah it was all correct. It ran without a cel for a few months. It was not a cheap one either, I spent close to 1k on it.

The thing that sucked most is I researched it for a while before getting one. The consensus was it would not throw a code, but I was one of the few unlucky ones. I am in no way saying its going to happen to you, but figured I'd give you my experience with HFC's on one of my previous cars.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
ashmostro

Word. Thanks dude.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

My last car, I had the pre-cats gutted, and wired an O2 Simulator into the secondary sensors. Worked very well. Anyone want to chime in on who makes an O2 Sim for the G37? Because IDK the answer to that.

The alternative on that particular car (2003 Maxima) was to extend the bungs for the secondaries, typically with a Spark Plug non-fouler. Somehow by extending the sensor slightly outside the exhaust flow, it was enough to trick the ECU into thinking the catalyst was being effective (when there was no actual catalyst). I'm fairly sure that's a common trick, but again... IDK how well that works on the G37.

However, either approach is only relevant for test pipes or headers (that word again, LOL). From what I've read here so far, the general consensus is that HFC's don't throw codes on the G37. I can't speak from experience on the HFC's just yet, but it certainly does seem the best drop-in bang-4-your-buck exhaust mod.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
will the HFC pass the emissions tests if they don't throw a code? I thought they put some sort of measuring device at the tail pipes to determine if it was ok, or do they only check for codes?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BLamb
will the HFC pass the emissions tests if they don't throw a code? I thought they put some sort of measuring device at the tail pipes to determine if it was ok, or do they only check for codes?
According to this, Texas doesn't sniff. They just check for codes.

TxDPS - VI Emission Testing

Quick Reply: High flow cat with stock headers and exhaust - how will it sound?