Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

First Mod: G3 CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
shnakaratu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mod: G3 CAI

Just pulled the trigger and ordered my first mod: Stillen Gen 3 CAI.
Ordered it through FBParts vendor Jomer. He got me an amazing price on the Intake. Way lower than Stillen so DEFINITELY buy through him.

Ill be posting up pics when I get the Intake on Thursday and of the install as well. Ill also be taking videos of the before and after sounds and reports on the ever popular Butt Dyno.

Will be installing myself so any tips/advice is welcome.

P.S. its going on an 09 G37 Sedan
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I used a dremel with a sanding drum and it worked really well and basically just melted the plastic. Also, put foam padding around the area where you cut out the plastic because there is also metal on other side and will scratch the tubes. Bumper removal will
Make it much easier.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
shnakaratu

Thanks for the tip! I can't wait for them to get here.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
mine comes in tomorrow im going to use an oscillating tool like this guy used to punch through the plastic. you can pick one up from harbor freight for about $20. it looks much easier than a dremel. im planning on not removing the bumper, and just taping up the metal edges to prevent scratches. FYI you might want to get tuned after you install it for best results. Im going back to get my uprev tune finalized after the install.

Stillen Gen3 Ultra Long Intake installed on 2007 G35 Sedan V36 (VQ35HR) - YouTube
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
How much did you get it for? I'm planning on buying one soon too.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Austin713

they can be had for ~$500
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
This might be some help.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3394363-post2.html

Post pics when you're done.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Detail
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
what is fbparts?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If your doing just intake, I would not get a tune. If you are planning to do a exhaust and high flow cats in the future, do the tune then.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
shnakaratu

Originally Posted by Austin713
mine comes in tomorrow im going to use an oscillating tool like this guy used to punch through the plastic. you can pick one up from harbor freight for about $20. it looks much easier than a dremel. im planning on not removing the bumper, and just taping up the metal edges to prevent scratches. FYI you might want to get tuned after you install it for best results. Im going back to get my uprev tune finalized after the install.

Stillen Gen3 Ultra Long Intake installed on 2007 G35 Sedan V36 (VQ35HR) - YouTube
Thats the video I looked at for reference on the install. I was thinking of doing the same. I just want whats easiest to do lol

Originally Posted by AMai1215
How much did you get it for? I'm planning on buying one soon too.
Search for the vendor FBPARTS here on the forum and give him your info and he can tell you how much it will be shipped. You will not be disappointed.

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
This might be some help.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3394363-post2.html

Post pics when you're done.
Awesome write up. will def use this to my advantage.

Originally Posted by Detail
what is fbparts?
He is a registered user on here and is a vendor for a lot of aftermarket parts for our beautiful G's

Originally Posted by trcb777
If your doing just intake, I would not get a tune. If you are planning to do a exhaust and high flow cats in the future, do the tune then.
I'm going to do the tune after I get my test pipes and my exhaust. What worries me is voiding my warranty. I dont know which tuning would be best to be able to flash back to stock when I take my car in for service. I wanna ghost it so if something goes wrong, they cant even begin to blame the tune.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Austin713

Originally Posted by shnakaratu
Thats the video I looked at for reference on the install. I was thinking of doing the same. I just want whats easiest to do lol

Search for the vendor FBPARTS here on the forum and give him your info and he can tell you how much it will be shipped. You will not be disappointed.

Awesome write up. will def use this to my advantage.

He is a registered user on here and is a vendor for a lot of aftermarket parts for our beautiful G's

I'm going to do the tune after I get my test pipes and my exhaust. What worries me is voiding my warranty. I dont know which tuning would be best to be able to flash back to stock when I take my car in for service. I wanna ghost it so if something goes wrong, they cant even begin to blame the tune.
dont waste your money on the canned tuners (hypertech/bullydog) uprev is the only way to go for nissan/infiniti. it allows you to switch between tunes with a combo of the cruise control buttons. 1 for tuned, 2 for valet (4k rev limter) and 3 for stock. there are 5 spots total, i only used 3. the other 2 could be used for economy i guess.

if you take it to the dealer my guess is you could turn on the stock tune, although they would probably be able to see that your ECU had been unlocked. having them tune for the specific mods on your car is safer than just plugging in something that is designed for every nissan/ infiniti so you will be less likely to have more issues down the road.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
shnakaratu

What about the Cobb AccessPORT tune? I've read some reviews that says its good and flashes back to stock. Also read they cant detect it. Anyone have experiences with an under warranty G with Cobb AccessPORT?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Austin713

Originally Posted by shnakaratu
What about the Cobb AccessPORT tune? I've read some reviews that says its good and flashes back to stock. Also read they cant detect it. Anyone have experiences with an under warranty G with Cobb AccessPORT?
as far as i know COBB no longer supports anything other than the GTR.

A tune on a non Forced induction car is not going to push anything to failure. its going to be just as safe as the stock tune.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM
shnakaratu

What worries me is voiding the warranty when I take it to the dealer. I have bumper to bumper warranty until 2015 so I would like to keep that haha
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Austin713

well i just installed mine last night. it took me a bout 3 hours. it would have taken me 4 if i hadnt taken the grill and intakes out once or twice before.

Ill second everyone elses opinion about this intake in that it is an extremely tight fit. being a sedan and not with the updated front fascia i was able to get both tubes in without removing the bumper. i used an occilating tool to do plunge cuts into the plastic shroud and it worked perfectly. i had to cut off part of the pcv connection on the drivers side to make it mate up with the Stillen upper intake tube, and remove some cable clips on the other side to make the intake clear. even after all that im still only about 1/8" away from contacting the upper metal where the tube passes through the radiator support, and the driver side tube is almost resting on my strut tower.

Would i say its worth it? All doubts of that question went out the door as soon as i went WOT. its more responsive and just keeps pulling. if youve had the Ingen/K&N/fujuta SRI setup before, they are extremely loud, high pitched and almost tinny at wide open throttle. i thought my engine was going to explode. the Gen 3 has this extremely deep growl that just sounds angry as hell.

the splash guard covers the filters well and i dont see having issue with water in the future.

Im headed back soon to get retuned with the intake. ill post up results.