Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Enginer Air Filters...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
blindman8858

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enginer Air Filters...

Ok Guys, I have searched a whole bunch through this site about what engine filter to get. I am coming up on 15k miles and I want to change them out. I have 3 in mind:

HKS, K&N, and OEM

I have read a lot of claims about the reliability of each of them and its hard to filter through the BS because I have not seen anything very definitive as to which of the three is better. I can't tell whether there are measurable gains from using non-OEM filters with respect to Horse Power or Fuel Economy.

Some questions That I'd Like Clarified:
Is it true that HKS does a poor job of filtering dirt? If so, why the hell are people buying them?

I found a post comparing K&N to OEMS and pretty much saying no added benefit and in fact OEM is the way to go. (K&N air filter or OEM, why OEM is better)

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if you just want filters go with afe or k&n. they are very good quality and reusable and will last forever. But if you want a little more power and a nice sound go with an intake system like some of these

Infiniti G37 Intake
Old 02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
apexi350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my previous car, 350z, I use stock airbox and just k&n filter. It's cheaper in the long run since it's washable, and supposed to be better air flow than oem. I also ran it on the dyno, and gained 7hp with the k&n vs stock filter.. but every car is different..
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
DashKid
Banned

If you want filters go with K&N cause you can wash them but I would say get a cold air intake.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
blindman8858

A lot of died hard K&N fans out there. HKS and AFE are also washable.

However, I have read HKS doesn't filter dirt very well. Can anyone verify this claim?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by blindman8858
A lot of died hard K&N fans out there. HKS and AFE are also washable.

However, I have read HKS doesn't filter dirt very well. Can anyone verify this claim?
No i have never heard that. But if you have might as well be safe and go with one that never has any problems like afe or k&n
Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm not sure of the filtration efficiency of any of the filters. Anyone can claim to make a filter that lets more air pass through. That's not hard at all. But the real question is how efficiently do they filter out particulates? Passing more air through isn't necessarily a plus if the dirt is coming through too.

If you get any info on it, post here because I want to know as well.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
blindman8858

Originally Posted by BluestickG
No i have never heard that. But if you have might as well be safe and go with one that never has any problems like afe or k&n
Yeah I will probably go with K&N. Do you know where I can get a good deal on them?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
mtrsprt

Originally Posted by apexi350z
on my previous car, 350z, I use stock airbox and just k&n filter. It's cheaper in the long run since it's washable, and supposed to be better air flow than oem. I also ran it on the dyno, and gained 7hp with the k&n vs stock filter.. but every car is different..
THIS^^^^^

Forget the CAI.... Nissan has developed the VQ37 engine to breath just about as best as it's going to ever, even in stock form.

$500-700.00 on a CAI is just plain silly. Much better spent somewhere else IMO. A $500.00 N20 kit, with about a small 50-75hp shot, would be MUCH more beneficial.... Price per HP.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
blindman8858

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm not sure of the filtration efficiency of any of the filters. Anyone can claim to make a filter that lets more air pass through. That's not hard at all. But the real question is how efficiently do they filter out particulates? Passing more air through isn't necessarily a plus if the dirt is coming through too.

If you get any info on it, post here because I want to know as well.
The closest thing I found to a study is this link which has been posted on this site before: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.ht
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
mtrsprt

The closest thing I found to a study is this link which has been posted on this site before: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.ht
Dead link.

Here's a little something.....

If ANY aftermarket air filter allows for more air flow (CFM) through it, simple physics says it will not trap as many air particles....

Will the difference ever be noticeable at wear of the cylinder walls/rings before 100+K miles....... Probably not.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Bad link?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
blindman8858

Here is another independent study with interesting results:
Air Filtration Test
Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
blindman8858

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Bad link?
K&N air filter or OEM, why OEM is better
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
blindman8858

Here is another one that looks to be more reputable. It is a study done by Oak Ridge National Laboratory for the US department of Energy that attempts to study whether a dirty vs clean filter has any effect on fuel efficiency.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

The conclusion from their study:
The goal of this study was to explore the effects of a clogged air filter on the fuel economy of vehicles operating over prescribed test cycles. Three newer vehicles (a 2007 Buick Lucerne, a 2006 Dodge Charger, and a 2003 Toyota Camry) and an older carbureted vehicle were tested.
Results show that clogging the air filter has no significant effect on the fuel economy of the newer vehicles (all fuel injected with closed-loop control and one equipped with MDS). The engine control systems were able to maintain the desired AFR regardless of intake restrictions, and therefore fuel consumption was not increased. The carbureted engine did show a decrease in fuel economy with increasing restriction. However, the level of restriction required to cause a substantial (10–15%) decrease in fuel economy (such as that cited in the literature3,4) was so severe that the vehicle was almost undrivable. Acceleration performance on all vehicles was improved with a clean air filter.

Quick Reply: Enginer Air Filters...