Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

OBX or other budget test pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM
VeXeD

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
I don't disagree with you. I bought the "cheap" Kinetix HFCs and have been more than pleased with them. The funny thing about those cats are that they have the exact same stamp on the side of them as the Fast Intentions HFCs that a lot swoon over. I didnt realize that the actual catalytic converters were produced by the same company until a forum buddy posted pics of his FI HFCs and I saw the same F-ing stamp marks that are on my "cheap" HFC's... I kinda laughed my way to the bank on that one, as the saying goes.
Good point....
Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cecrops
tl;dr - I agree to disagree. If you feel OBX is good enough for you, by all means put it on your car
Internet discussions take the body language out of the equation. If we had been face to face my comments, like yours were just opinionated banter...no less, no more. Although this comment does have an aire of whatever floats your boat, but your stupid to do it sort of vibe. That being said the OBX parts aren't even in my research because they aren't actual HFCs and im not going to do the test pipe thing.

Originally Posted by warped ideas
I don't disagree with you. I bought the "cheap" Kinetix HFCs and have been more than pleased with them. The funny thing about those cats are that they have the exact same stamp on the side of them as the Fast Intentions HFCs that a lot swoon over. I didnt realize that the actual catalytic converters were produced by the same company until a forum buddy posted pics of his FI HFCs and I saw the same F-ing stamp marks that are on my "cheap" HFC's... I kinda laughed my way to the bank on that one, as the saying goes.
Originally Posted by VeXeD
Good point....
This is a biggie these days because you never know for sure with anything. Even if it says "made in" somewhere that still doesnt mean the material didn't come from somewhere else. For all we know berks are coming in from china in some state and being finished and stamped here. Still even for chinese junk the factories still build things to spec and you can have multiple companies using the same factory but have completely different levels of quality on the same part.

Really take a good look at the made in stamps. I did one time on my dogs treats and realized that the big old stars and stripes was there for an "assembled" in sort of mark, but were still 100% manufactured in china.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:43 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoer
This is a biggie these days because you never know for sure with anything. Even if it says "made in" somewhere that still doesnt mean the material didn't come from somewhere else. For all we know berks are coming in from china in some state and being finished and stamped here. Still even for chinese junk the factories still build things to spec and you can have multiple companies using the same factory but have completely different levels of quality on the same part.

Really take a good look at the made in stamps. I did one time on my dogs treats and realized that the big old stars and stripes was there for an "assembled" in sort of mark, but were still 100% manufactured in china.
That was the point of my post, brother. I saw that the "guts" of my HFCs were the same as FI HFCs. The fitment was 00 (***** on). I was suprised to see that the actual cats were stamped with the exact same manufacturer number and model number as the FI HFCs. The point I was trying to make was that I paid probably $170 less for my cats then those who purchased the FI cats. So being on a "budget" for modding isn't always a bad thing. (especially when it comes to name recognition) Now, that may not always be the case, though. LOL
Old 08-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Mursal Sayfatov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I was speaking specifically to the OBX. I don't know anything about the others but from my experience I wouldn't put el cheapo parts eBay on my car that I love and hope for the best when it's not very much more expensive to buy a part from a reputable quality manufacturer. But that's just me.

I didn't even click the links but I can tell you what you'll get if you buy super cheap exhaust parts. Light gauge metal that is not actually made of stainless steel and that will rust very quickly. Questionable fit. Crappy welds.

Please save a few more dollars and buy your car the quality parts that it deserves.
hey man I have a 2010 g37s coupe and I just bought the 1320 performance test pips and idk of they are any good I put them my on my car it did get louder but I don't feel like I got any power of them what do you think the best test pips are for my car plzz let me know
Old 08-08-2016, 10:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Mursal Sayfatov
hey man I have a 2010 g37s coupe and I just bought the 1320 performance test pips and idk of they are any good I put them my on my car it did get louder but I don't feel like I got any power of them what do you think the best test pips are for my car plzz let me know
The OBX resonated test pipes have been redesigned, I have their latest design and so far they've been good, and no CEL code has been thrown. Here's my review thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...est-pipes.html
Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
The OBX resonated test pipes have been redesigned, I have their latest design and so far they've been good, and no CEL code has been thrown. Here's my review thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...est-pipes.html
Same here.

Brad, overtime my CEL actually went away

With stock exhaust my car sounds very coupe'ish with just these resonated test pipes.