Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intake vs K&N drop in...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intake vs K&N drop in...

Has anyone ever done the analysis for the G37? When I did a search, a whole bunch of stuff popped up under the marketplace. I saw a stillen intake which boasts 18.5 hp gain AT THE WHEELS for the G37 coupe. Has anyone purchased that? Thats REALLY good if true.

Any gain for drop in K&N's? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
1NEETO

Don't waste your money on either or. Get the real deal.

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
i dont' know about the stillen, but i have the k&n. i don't know about hp at the wheels, but it certainly smoothes out the power curve. the car accelerates differently and sounds different.

if there's an hp gain, it's pretty minimal.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I spoke with the guys at Specialty Z who are known for tuning our VQ motors. They said that unless you're going with a true CAI (i.e. Injen, Stillen Gen 3), then just go with the K&N drop ins. Their reasoning for this was dyno comparisons on the same vehicle, same day with the different intake options. With that said, not sure bout the 18.5HP gain at the wheels LOL.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Wyldfyer

Thanks for the responses guys... except you 1NEETO.... Get out of here with that electric supercharger BS. Im an engineer and I know that having a fan blowing at a set RPM thats NOT related to throttle response is pointless. It will allow a certain amount of air in and thats it! Flow dynamics 101.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by jamesshifflett
I spoke with the guys at Specialty Z who are known for tuning our VQ motors. They said that unless you're going with a true CAI (i.e. Injen, Stillen Gen 3), then just go with the K&N drop ins. Their reasoning for this was dyno comparisons on the same vehicle, same day with the different intake options. With that said, not sure bout the 18.5HP gain at the wheels LOL.
Yeah the Stillen Gen 3 is the one I saw that claimed 18.5 hp at the wheels. Thats a LOT from an intake, LOL. Thanks bro!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
yea definitly go with a true CAI. I have the takeda one. definitly minimal gains but like mattster said it accelerates smoother.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
Thanks for the responses guys... except you 1NEETO.... Get out of here with that electric supercharger BS. Im an engineer and I know that having a fan blowing at a set RPM thats NOT related to throttle response is pointless. It will allow a certain amount of air in and thats it! Flow dynamics 101.
Sarcasm fail. The reason why I provided a stupid answer is because your question deserved it. Intakes are just about the most discussed topic around here and a simple search would have yielded countless hits.

Here's another hint: "what's the best exhaust" has been discussed before as well. I know, shocking.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
AUS10TAT10US

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP, go with either Stillen Gen 3 or R2C. I have R2C's and they are nice...easy install, looks great, great sound, pretty good power, and good price
Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Sarcasm fail. The reason why I provided a stupid answer is because your question deserved it. Intakes are just about the most discussed topic around here and a simple search would have yielded countless hits.

Here's another hint: "what's the best exhaust" has been discussed before as well. I know, shocking.
it's a forum. this stuff is gonna get talked about to death.

no need to be a jerk to someone just asking a question....regardless if they did a search or not.

chill
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by Mattster
it's a forum. this stuff is gonna get talked about to death.

no need to be a jerk to someone just asking a question....regardless if they did a search or not.

chill
Thanks bro!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by 1NEETO

You have absolutely no point.. name one NEW topic that people have posted on before. As new people come to the site, become new to a G37, etc, there will always be repeat questions. Im sorry that YOUR LIFE is so MISERABLE that SOMEHOW it affects you, PERSONALLY. It takes a real IDIOT to see a thread, and decide to come in just to be ignorant. Ignore IS an option.

If no one ever came in with questions, experiences, etc. and only "searched" your precious forum would be OVER.

And you are the same azzhole that will complain when someone searches, finds an old forum, and "brings it back to life" because they have NEW a question.

Your life is POINTLESS!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Wyldfyer

Thanks everyone...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
You have absolutely no point.. name one NEW topic that people have posted on before. As new people come to the site, become new to a G37, etc, there will always be repeat questions. Im sorry that YOUR LIFE is so MISERABLE that SOMEHOW it affects you, PERSONALLY. It takes a real IDIOT to see a thread, and decide to come in just to be ignorant. Ignore IS an option.
This is confusing to read. You're almost into something but then it gets lost in poor choice of words. It doesn't take a real idiot to raise awareness to other new people that they should search, which is what I intended. Especially on topics like intakes and exhausts. This is a universal rule with just about every car enthusiast forum. Intakes and exhausts are discussed all the time and it should be common sense to just search. It takes a real idiot to come to a car forum and asks about intakes.
If no one ever came in with questions, experiences, etc. and only "searched" your precious forum would be OVER.
There's some topics that deserve to be repeated because they're rarely discussed. A new intake or exhaust thread just about every day doesn't keep the forum going, it makes the forum dull.
And you are the same azzhole that will complain when someone searches, finds an old forum, and "brings it back to life" because they have NEW a question.

Your life is POINTLESS!
No I'm not that kind of guy. I applaud anyone who revives an old thread and contributes to it whether is with a new question or new information.

I have to chuckle to the whole pointless life thing. Did it take you most of the day to come up with that?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Wyldfyer

1.Now you've graduated from IDIOT to CHILDISH...

2. Check my "join date"...I'm not new. I've been here a lot longer than you. So I don't need your advice on how to work a forum.

3. Lastly, there are exactly "0" threads that I found that directly compare a drop-in K&N to a Gen3 Stillen kit...which is why I started a thread. I SEARCHED FIRST! Maybe my life didn't allow me to sit here going page after page searching for hours. I found my answer from the HELPFUL people... You just contributed negative energy. So again, you have NO point. Don't try to rationalize your purpose. I've seen several of your posts. You are consistently an azz... only an azz WOULD come into a forum just to say "search". You can have the last word now...

Quick Reply: Intake vs K&N drop in...