Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

confused on Test pipes and HFC for 09 G37x sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
zuku26
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confused on Test pipes and HFC for 09 G37x sedan

Ive been doing a ton of research on which Test pipe or HFC to run on my 09 g37x sedan, and have found it hard to figure out which ones fit my car. I've found a bunch on e-bay and other sites that list g37x but when I ask they reply with only the coupe or only the RWD?? I only looking to free up a few my horses and add a bit of tone the exhaust note. I dont want super loud and have zero plans on any big mods. Ill prob stick to the test pipe or HFC and an intake prob the RC2. or JWT one.
Any help or links to sound clips would be ideal!!
Or even a guideline of what other years models, fit as well.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zuku26
Ive been doing a ton of research on which Test pipe or HFC to run on my 09 g37x sedan, and have found it hard to figure out which ones fit my car. I've found a bunch on e-bay and other sites that list g37x but when I ask they reply with only the coupe or only the RWD?? I only looking to free up a few my horses and add a bit of tone the exhaust note. I dont want super loud and have zero plans on any big mods. Ill prob stick to the test pipe or HFC and an intake prob the RC2. or JWT one.
Any help or links to sound clips would be ideal!!
Or even a guideline of what other years models, fit as well.
That's a little odd. I can't recall, but I'm quite positive that all test pipes will fit your sedan. I DO BELIEVE there is a difference between the coupes and the sedans however. I wanna say the coupes have a larger diameter than the sedans. The difference between the X and RWD sedans = zero. Test pipes are honestly all the same - it's all about brand. I'd stay away from the ebayers though...although I haven't heard much in terms of quality (welds). With just test pipes, I'd image you'd be okay but anything more (I'd consider getting a tune via UpRev). YOU WILL THROW A CODE, even with defoulers. Good luck man!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 AM
harp00n

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
as I know, only Motordyne ART test pipes require some modding for AWD sedan (moving side branch resonator to fit AWD transfer case).

all other pipes and HFCs are direct-fit for both RWD and AWD
Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 AM
zuku26
Registered Member

thank you guys. what is the diameter of the unit I should be looking for? Will a G35 sedan test pipe work as well?? If I was going to go with a HFC I would steer clear of the ebay stuff but I figure a test pipe is nothing more then some pipe and flanges
Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM
bocaytomas

Some of the things stated here are false, the test pipes for the coupe and sedan are exactly the same, its the same engine... I have test pipes, so it doesnt have any sort of emmisions device, and their great. Sound wise their going to sound like **** if you dont have some sort of exahust on the sedan, coupes sound pretty nice with the test pipes. I ended up removing my mufflers so I just have resonators. It is loud but acceptable.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM
bocaytomas

here's what mine sounds like:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PkGCslkx0Qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fast intentions designates a difference between sedan hfc/tp and coupe hfc/tp. Is this just their own designation or is it a fitment issue? if it's not a fitment issue, FI cat-pipes might be a consideration.
Fast Intentions

but, not sure if they'll fit. does anyone know about fitment?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 PM
zuku26
Registered Member

I figured the Rwd sedan to be the same if not similar to the Rwd coupe and the same for the Awd coupes and sedans. But I expected the Diameters to be different and obviously the rear sections to be different. So does anyone have a sound clip of a test pipe or HFC mounted to a stock exhaust on an AWD sedan?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:47 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
whichever one you do end up going with you definitely won't regret it. Check into an Uprev dyno tune after
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be more relevant if you were running ark's catback but they're coming out with their hfcs in about 3 months
Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 PM
eksigned

Originally Posted by bocaytomas
Some of the things stated here are false, the test pipes for the coupe and sedan are exactly the same, its the same engine... I have test pipes, so it doesnt have any sort of emmisions device, and their great. Sound wise their going to sound like **** if you dont have some sort of exahust on the sedan, coupes sound pretty nice with the test pipes. I ended up removing my mufflers so I just have resonators. It is loud but acceptable.
no, no...i'm pretty sure there's a difference between test pipes for a coupe vs a sedan. but eh...could be wrong. then again, you could be right - same motor + same headers (i SWEAR there a diameter difference somewhere down the exhaust line though). as far as emissions go...uh...you know that test pipes replace oe cats, right? oe cats have o2 sensors. that's "emissions device" related, dude.

just sayin'...

and fyi, more o2 WILL set off a cel (bank 2 sensors).
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
zuku26
Registered Member

I'm not so concerned about emissions. Here in IL they dont do visual tests its only a Cel test via the OBDII. I haven't run cats in any of my cars for years. the Non fouler trick works like a charm. And I've noticed many of the Test pipes for this car have the long tube for the o2 sensor already extended. That wasnt the case for my Mazdaspeed Protege. Hence the use of the Non foulers......
Tecnically a Test pipe is just bent pipe with flanges so its hard to mess those up.
But I really wish I knew which of these Stainless ebay specials will work. Or even how they will sound
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Fast Intentions Test Pipes will free up a healthy amount of HP.
Call up Tony: (818) 882-2828.
Caution: they are LOUD.
Also, I heard their HFC's are good.
Both have O2 sensors and will NOT activate a 'Check Engine Light'.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by MistAminER112
The Fast Intentions Test Pipes will free up a healthy amount of HP.
Call up Tony: (818) 882-2828.
Caution: they are LOUD.
Also, I heard their HFC's are good.
Both have O2 sensors and will NOT activate a 'Check Engine Light'.
i suppose it depends on the car (not trying to pick a fight! <3 ) - i have fast intention test pipes. mine threw a code. the only set i've heard of that guarantees no cel - art pipes. but again, that doesn't matter for you. and this post is completely off topic LOL
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
datboybspeeding

i just installed my BERKS HFCs like 2 weeks ago man and holy **** i love em and it didnt throw my CEL most test pipes will throw ur CEL but ill try to get a video of the car up for u so u can hear what it sounds like

Quick Reply: confused on Test pipes and HFC for 09 G37x sedan