Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Injen CAI - No noticable power gains

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Branman36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen CAI - No noticable power gains

InJen CAI Installed... No noticeable power? <hr style="color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#FFFFFF" size="1"> I had my brand new Injen CAI long tubes professionally installed about 6 months ago and have been happily cruisin with them ever since. I noticed an audible difference, as the sound of the car is much more throaty and "ball-sy"... deeper sounds can be heard more from engine bay as well as the exhaust sound now. However I really did not notice any power gains. As the season got colder, and the air got heavier, I did start to notice more power in 4-6 RPM...or so I think I can. However, when I took the car to the dealership, the mechanic who drives these things all day, stated he did not feel a difference. He said the most noticeable, lucrative, adjustment I can make is tuning. I am waiting to UPREV as I want to install High Flow Cats first.

Will UPREV be the day and night difference for me??

(I have 2008 g37s manual)
Old 01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
R3diK3r0u5

intake's on these cars are for sound. after all bolt ons and a tune you will create a little more power
Old 01-09-2012, 03:28 PM
biron

Maybe reset the ecu? or run a dyno to see if there is any gain
Old 01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Branman36

Originally Posted by R3diK3r0u5
intake's on these cars are for sound. after all bolt ons and a tune you will create a little more power
Ok so I am not going crazy. I appreciate the response. What would be your suggestion for increasing my performance? Bolt ons being headers and such? I have read that a full exhaust on the G37 does not really have much performance gains either, given the fact that the stock pipes are really quite well engineered... I was told HFC is the only bottleneck on the stock system and to replace the cats with something like Berk HFC
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
that's odd...you didn't notice ANY power gains? I purchased mine used, but in addition to the growl, I felt a little more umph in the seat of my pants () when I went WOT. despite, your tech's note about a tune, isn't completely correct. a tune is the LAST thing you should do after other breather mods ie exhaust, test pipes, headers. any and all whp gains via the tune is essentially a byproduct of running your car with a custom afr (more efficient and healthy for your given per given region). it's honestly a waste of money if all you do is tune with exhaust and intake; it's borderline - so others may disagree. but on a serious note, if you decide to get test pipes or hfc, you'll have to tune again. so why bother. nah mean?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Cheburashka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. On these cars, CAI don't do much of anything besides sound. They sound great, but I really think that's where it's benefits ends.
2. If the CAI does provide even 10HP at the motor, thats 3% increase, which is almost impossible to feel because by the time gets to the wheels, its probably 6HP.

A few years back, Infiniti had an a TV AD which said that the G35 made 306 hp and on the bottom, it was written in white print - at 60 mph. My point is that the VQ37VHR, just like VQ35HR rely heavily on good air flow (What engine doesnt?). With that in mind, you'd have to think that they designed the intake system to be in its almost optimum state, considering the cost/benefit equation. I would think that you could get half of the benefit of the intake from high performance air filters, but even then, the gains aren't really worth the outlay of $$$. At 89hp/L, on a N/A engine, you'd have to admit that they did a pretty good job.

In regards to getting the Berk HFC, i read in the sedan section that people get exhaust drone after install.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Branman36

Thanks man. I can feel a little more pull @ RPM 4 - 5 and it weakens significantly @ 7. Much louder. Low end RPMs still are static with when I bought the car. I forgot to mention, due to having the intake, the car didn't idle well and that had to be reset. The mechanic made some ecu changes for the idle and the car ran much much healthier.

Long story short, I have my intake installed and I want to plan my next move. I don't have $5k to drop, but I can afford something "reasonable"
Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@WOT the sound is wonderful lol
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Branman36

Originally Posted by ShyAznB8oi
@WOT the sound is wonderful lol
Yup, agreed. The sound is definitely great. However what good is a loud bark with no bite

I have to beat out our stock buddies
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
R3diK3r0u5

by bolts ons i was referring to the main three: CAI, CBE, HFC. then a tune. but everyone is right there isnt much more power to squeeze out of these cars. a big difference you will feel from the tune is removing the WOL limiter at the low end

headers will end up costing you over $1000 including install and really have hardly any benefit
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
IMHO/My2c/etc...

CAI's are better suited for low-end power. It's like breathing through a straw -- the longer the straw, the harder to suck any significant amount of fluid up through it. This would likely explain why you feel like it loses steam at the higher RPM range. CAI's benefit the engine more from idle and lower rpms as it's sucking relatively cooler air outside of the engine bay where HAI's/SRI's suffer the most. However, HAI's/SRI's benefit from having shorter tubes which help at higher rpms.

That said, as already mentioned, intakes don't really seem to do much for our cars. As for exhausts, i had my Q300 dyno'd and it seemed to have made some power -- FWIW.
http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...pics-dyno.html

I have yet to get a tune.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
DashKid
Banned

Well remember it's N/A engine it's not a sti, evo, genesis 2.0t that can get easy power with bolt on. If you truly want power you have a F/I system because CBE,CAI,HFC, and tune can cost about 2-5k. Just save that money and get F/I.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DashKid
Well remember it's N/A engine it's not a sti, evo, genesis 2.0t that can get easy power with bolt on. If you truly want power you have a F/I system because CBE,CAI,HFC, and tune can cost about 2-5k. Just save that money and get F/I.
If you go FI, the only thing you wouldn't need from the list you mentioned would be the CAI/SRI. Everything would be extremely beneficial to the car with FI anyway. So at the end of the day, you'd only be saving ~$500 depending on what intake you go with.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
R3diK3r0u5

Originally Posted by soundmike
IMHO/My2c/etc...

CAI's are better suited for low-end power.

I have yet to get a tune.
idk about that mike? when I was doing all my intake searching and comparing dynos i came to the exact opposite conclusion which is why I went with the r2c CAI/SR hybrid intake as oppose to the gen3 long tube.

the dynos were showing the long tube making more power in the top end with the short ram making less while the short ram made more power in the low end. end of the day i chose the SR type intake since i drive up to 4k alot more often than 7k
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by R3diK3r0u5
idk about that mike? when I was doing all my intake searching and comparing dynos i came to the exact opposite conclusion which is why I went with the r2c CAI/SR hybrid intake as oppose to the gen3 long tube.
A dyno won't show the difference i mentioned since almost all dyno runs have hoods up and large fans flowing directly at the filters.

With the hood down, sitting at a stoplight, heated air churning in the bay, the SRI is heat soaking the entire time. A CAI, in this scenario, would be breathing much fresher (and cooler) air.

OTOH, once air is flowing (i.e. at speed), with the OEM ducts, the SRI filters are breathing in fresh air, so no heat soak and no straw effect.

Again, JMHO.

I have an SRI, too!

Quick Reply: Injen CAI - No noticable power gains