Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Ebay Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Ebay Pipes

Any thoughts on these? What are the main differences on the brands for the same type of product.

Stainless Steel Exhaust Test Pipe Infiniti G37 08 09 10 3.7L 6 Cylinder | eBay
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Any thoughts on these? What are the main differences on the brands for the same type of product.

Stainless Steel Exhaust Test Pipe Infiniti G37 08 09 10 3.7L 6 Cylinder | eBay
all the same...... it will work as just another branded test pipes....... the nuts&bolts are p.o.s. though
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyAznB8oi
all the same...... it will work as just another branded test pipes....... the nuts&bolts are p.o.s. though

Actually your 100% wrong. Test pipes you want QUALITY pipes because if fitment is off at all, your pipes won't seal properly.

My best advice is to STAY OFF of ebay. DO NOT cheap out when it comes to your exhaust and engine components for your car, or you'll only regret it and end up spending more money in the long run~
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyAznB8oi
You are very wrong at so many levels. They really are not nearly the same! There is a reason why we pay the premium for high end stuff. The extensive R&D, better craftmanship/welds, superior material, and the customer support behind them will make it worthwhile to pay the extra $$ to support the reputable manufacturers such as BERK, Motordyne, etc. If your ebay part craps out on you or even worse cause a damage to your vehicle, then wtf do you do then? Do you think these vendors in China/Taiwan will give a shlt? I think not.

You spent a pretty penny for your ride. Treat it accordingly and don't cheap out on parts!

Just my .02
Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
J2S2M

Originally Posted by 1cleanG
Actually your 100% wrong. Test pipes you want QUALITY pipes because if fitment is off at all, your pipes won't seal properly.

My best advice is to STAY OFF of ebay. DO NOT cheap out when it comes to your exhaust and engine components for your car, or you'll only regret it and end up spending more money in the long run~
lol beat me to it!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

I guess, I bought the ebay test pipes.. And used them for a day.. Fitment was about right.. Quality wise was good enough. The fitment was 100% good, well I guess I'm just those lucky people who got the good one.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Same day as I got my TP's on.. Got poped by a cop.. Removed them and sold them.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
J2S2M

Cheap parts will usually sound cheap too. There is a lot of R&D required in producing a quality exhaust part. You would be surprised when you see how much little variance can make such a drastic difference in sound and fitment.

I guess you can slap on some ebay parts if you can't afford the good ones. IMO when you do that, you are putting your car and yourself at risk because more often than not, you will run into fitment and other quality issues. If I were you, I'd save up and do it right the first time around.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
No worse buying this than buying replica wheels, bumpers, exhaust. As long as fitment is right you should get $100 worth out of them...

Test pipes are cheap anyway. Nothing but straight piping.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
breftayka

Originally Posted by J2S2M
Cheap parts will usually sound cheap too. There is a lot of R&D required in producing a quality exhaust part. You would be surprised when you see how much little variance can make such a drastic difference in sound and fitment.

I guess you can slap on some ebay parts if you can't afford the good ones. IMO when you do that, you are putting your car and yourself at risk because more often than not, you will run into fitment and other quality issues. If I were you, I'd save up and do it right the first time around.
I half agree, but only possible damage is rust on the test pipes in my opinion... Put them up against any non-resonated test pipe and they will be almost identical.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
J2S2M

How about CEL or other quality issues as weldings cracking, etc which can lead to other issues? IMO this is much worse than buying replica bumper.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM
breftayka

Originally Posted by J2S2M
How about CEL or other quality issues as weldings cracking, etc which can lead to other issues? IMO this is much worse than buying replica bumper.
At least with test pipes they are not a blatant attempt to copy/steal someone else's design.

All test pipes run the same risk you are talking about... Most reputable branded test pipes have the same length bungs as these. Steel wool in them help out with a CEL which would involve the O2 sensors reading out of range readings.
Cracking in the welds or piping? Maybe, but unlikely. Like I said test pipes are just piping and fitment. Quality of material, welds, and fitment are the only things that can be off.

Test pipes are not street legal either way... Sorry to play devil's advocate as I am a fan of quality lol. For an extra $75 you can buy a well known branded set.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 PM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Bought these TP from Shy and are still holding up fine. No leaks and sounds like any other test pipe set up to me.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 AM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kRAM
Bought these TP from Shy and are still holding up fine. No leaks and sounds like any other test pipe set up to me.
Nice. It's been about 7 months on your car too right?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
RyG388

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other then car parts.....I love ebay

Quick Reply: Ebay Pipes