Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

HKS vs. ARK

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
but the real question is, stock ipl vs hks on ipl gains? I no they will be minimal, but is it worth the $$$
Old 10-08-2011, 12:57 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
^ Care to clarify?

I'm pretty I remember when you originally got you ARK exhaust and you made a post about how terrible the welds were and that they didn't even seal it together causing an exhaust leak.. Why the change of heart?
That is true . The both have horrible welds . Ark forgot to weld some spots and the hks was just terrible. If you open up a hks you will see the h pipe is not cut right to maximize air flow . It's isn't even cut evenly on both sides . The hks sounds like rice and the can exhaust tips is very dated .. The ark sounds great have fix their fitment issues and they continue to make it better . It's evolving as we speak. Having owned both I would pic the ark hands down ...
Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
With test pipes it rasps like a mother ...
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Sco1oter

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
That is true . The both have horrible welds . Ark forgot to weld some spots and the hks was just terrible. If you open up a hks you will see the h pipe is not cut right to maximize air flow . It's isn't even cut evenly on both sides . The hks sounds like rice and the can exhaust tips is very dated .. The ark sounds great have fix their fitment issues and they continue to make it better . It's evolving as we speak. Having owned both I would pic the ark hands down ...
OP:

This ^ -- has NOT been my experience. Not saying' NBS did not have this experience, jus sayin' I didn't. If an exhaust system can be beautiful, the HKS system I bought certainly was, right out of the box.

"sounds like rice" -- that comment does have me scratching my head a bit -- to each his own I guess. [No offense NBS]

Keep researching and buy what you like. The frustrating thing is there is no substitution for seeing and hearing a system in person but its hard to find set ups matching your car to look at in person.

FWIW,

Sco1oter
Old 10-08-2011, 01:59 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Sco1oter
OP:

This ^ -- has NOT been my experience. Not saying' NBS did not have this experience, jus sayin' I didn't. If an exhaust system can be beautiful, the HKS system I bought certainly was, right out of the box.

"sounds like rice" -- that comment does have me scratching my head a bit -- to each his own I guess. [No offense NBS]

Keep researching and buy what you like. The frustrating thing is there is no substitution for seeing and hearing a system in person but its hard to find set ups matching your car to look at in person.

FWIW,

Sco1oter
This.

Sound is subjective. Someone might like the sound of ARK. Another might like the sound of HKS. I've heard the ARK sound referred to as resembling that of a "kazoo." Here we see HKS and "rice" in the same sentence. It's a matter of personal opinion.

Like Sco1oter said, do your research. ARK has been around for a few years. Their design is a copy of the HKS design. Their parts are manufactured in Korea. Are they "evolving as we speak"? That's up for debate. What is not up for debate is that HKS has been a leader in the Japanese automotive performance industry for almost 40 years with multiple records and championships under their belt. They have their own R&D facility. Simply, I would suggest that there is a reason that HKS is one of the most knocked-off automotive aftermarket parts companies out there.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my honest opinion..

I have HKS for more than 2 years now and if I can pick HKS or ARK all over again, I'd still pick HKS. Btw ARK wasn't out yet when I bought the exhaust...

Because from my experience (what I saw in real life),
1) ARK burnt tips turn brown/bronze over time, in less than a year. Color looks like crap. My HKS burnt tips still looks brand new like Day-One.
2) ARK does not sit balanced on both sides when you look at it from behind. This is a major turn off for me. I know some people did point out HKS also sit a little imbalanced.. but as far as I know I can't tell. And cmon.. it's not as bad as ARK which is crazy obvious.

However, ARK sounds so much better than HKS. It's louder, it's throatier, it's deeper. But I just can't stand having an exhaust on my car that looks like crap.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:33 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With test pipes it rasps like a mother ...
resonate them. No problemo.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:23 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I say ditch both and go Fast Intentions!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I saw that picture too where some guy cut apart his HKS and found that the H-pipe correctly, but is there any way to verify that was an authentic HKS product? I personally don't believe that picture.

Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
resonate them. No problemo.
Not always, my FI exhaust sounded awesome with my BERK HFCs but when I switched to MXP it sounded like crap because the MXP piping was thinner than FI. I put the stock cats back in and problem was solved for me.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
I saw that picture too where some guy cut apart his HKS and found that the H-pipe correctly, but is there any way to verify that was an authentic HKS product? I personally don't believe that picture.

Not always, my FI exhaust sounded awesome with my BERK HFCs but when I switched to MXP it sounded like crap because the MXP piping was thinner than FI. I put the stock cats back in and problem was solved for me.
I'm just saying I heard HKS with non res test pipe on a G35, which sounded great but rasped hard at 4k. But G37 with RTP it had no rasp.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sco1oter
OP:

FWIW,

Sco1oter

I was relating my explanation to your experience, because I was following your thread since day one up until you posted all the pics. +1.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by xlack
Here's my honest opinion..

I have HKS for more than 2 years now and if I can pick HKS or ARK all over again, I'd still pick HKS. Btw ARK wasn't out yet when I bought the exhaust...

Because from my experience (what I saw in real life),
1) ARK burnt tips turn brown/bronze over time, in less than a year. Color looks like crap. My HKS burnt tips still looks brand new like Day-One.
2) ARK does not sit balanced on both sides when you look at it from behind. This is a major turn off for me. I know some people did point out HKS also sit a little imbalanced.. but as far as I know I can't tell. And cmon.. it's not as bad as ARK which is crazy obvious.

However, ARK sounds so much better than HKS. It's louder, it's throatier, it's deeper. But I just can't stand having an exhaust on my car that looks like crap.

My opinion exactly. Ark wins on sound, and looses everywhere else. HKS looses on sound, but wins everywhere else. Especially the part with the tips. Plus, HKS does not drone. I've asked quite a few people who have it, and they all said "no drone."
Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I say ditch both and go Fast Intentions!

I would totally recommend the same. I and Sam are both very satisfied FI customers.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeap, if you were looking for a similar looking exhaust, it would be HKS or FI. You can't go wrong with either of them. I was debating FI and HKS when I was shopping for mine. It was a tough choice..

Other notable exhausts would be Greddy and MXP. Though MXP wasn't out yet at the time I bought my exhaust.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by xlack
Yeap, if you were looking for a similar looking exhaust, it would be HKS or FI. You can't go wrong with either of them. I was debating FI and HKS when I was shopping for mine. It was a tough choice..

Other notable exhausts would be Greddy and MXP. Though MXP wasn't out yet at the time I bought my exhaust.

I chose FI for its amazing sound, and also for the best customer service ever from Tony. Ark is the second best-sounding, in my opinion. Then Meisterschaft.

Quick Reply: HKS vs. ARK