Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

ARK exhaust question - What are it's technical merits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by J2S2M
Without a baseline number, the results are absolutely useless.. NO?

^^^^^ I agree.

Last edited by warpeacelove; 12-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by warpeacelove
^^^^^ I agree. I don't know what Bologna their feeding the consumers by displaying a Dyno Chart that doesn't reflect nothing but BS. Ark you might want to mirror Stillen because they provide answers to users questions.
^ No need to bash them.

Maybe Alex will chime in soon. If they were able to get something on a dyno, I am sure they attempted to get some baseline numbers. But to me personally, dyno numbers don't matter as much as sound and overall quality of the exhaust b/c a catback exhaust will only yield you just few hp at max.

just my .02
Old 12-29-2011, 12:12 AM
DjFromVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man this post has opened my eyes a bit.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 AM
bknewtype

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^ lol same here. was gonna order my ark in a few weeks, now i dont know. most likley ill stick with it cause the looks and sounds is my main needs. dont care about performance since this car wasnt meant to be uber fast
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 AM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by bknewtype
^ lol same here. was gonna order my ark in a few weeks, now i dont know. most likley ill stick with it cause the looks and sounds is my main needs. dont care about performance since this car wasnt meant to be uber fast
i mean dont get me wrong, from the moment i got my g i knew that i wasnt going to be getting the tt or s/c set up, the 2 things that really boost the power. I'm just looking for an quality exhaust that looks good and sounds good, and if that turns out to be ark then ill go with them. Don't get me wrong i care about power, but there's just so much intake exhaust and a tune can go.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
bknewtype

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
bolt ons in general never do anything for the vq engine anyways. this is my 2nd vq so i already gave up on performance gains unless a sc/tt setup, which i probably wont do.

anyways im pretty set on ark anyways. my friend has it and it looks sexy as hell. decent pricing as well, but wouldnt mind saving a few pennies if theres a better setup.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Better is subjective when it comes to sound.

What's truely disturbing is that they declined to dyno their exhaust on my time.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old thread, but I don't think its is a useless thread. I was leaning toward Ark was actually about to buy today, but this thread is making me start my search over. Regardless if it is no gain or just 1whp gain, I want to know. The dyno chart they show says 303hp that seems a bit high and further negates the chart without a baseline. When they ran that dyno, why didn't they get a baseline then???? Ark/Alex, please clear this up, I like the look and the sound, but the quality photos scare me to. I work in a ISO quality section and those are clearly non-conforming products being pushed pf the line and into the market. I really would like to see quantifiable data and a lot less subjective info. I am looking to purchase soon, Heck, I am in Vegas and can drive out and let you play with Rene (09 G37-S coupe) for a while
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
ARKperformance
Former Sponsor

This is the best reference I can give you.
370z Dyno ARK exhaust test. Essentially same engine, same exhaust GRIP design.

Eventually we will be doing the dyno for the G's

ARK Performance 370Z GRiP Dyno - YouTube
Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
please excuse me if im wrong but... wouldnt having an intake on that dyno run of the 370z net more power than if it had the stock intake and just the exhaust? I'm a serious potential buyer of this exhaust too but after reading this thread it has made me think twice as well. i'd like to see a stock g/z baseline dyno and JUST the exhaust made on the same day to see what kind of gains you get with this exhaust

Last edited by fastlane45; 02-12-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Consider this too, a gain of a few HP is negligible. That is, every dyno run you do will yield slightly different numbers each time. Best results is to typically take an average of several runs. For marketing purposes, I suspect only the highest yielding runs are typically provided. Also, for most purposes, peak numbers dont mean much because you're rarely running the car at or near redline in most driving situations. What is important is a gain over a particular rpm range, compared to stock. Here too, you want an average of several runs, and not just one 'peak' run. A gain in this region will yield the most noticeable changes in your daily driving (say 2000-5000 rpm range).

When I made some changes to my previous motorcycle, I gained nearly 15ft of torque at ~4Krpm (bike redlined at 11K). Talk about very noticeable improvements. Of course, the gains were across the entire rpm range too. Due to the design of the motor, at the revs increased, the difference between base and modified decreased. The bike used a form of variable valve timing for the intake valves (the first actually on a motorcycle AFAIK). To affect these changes, only 3 things were done; Aftermarket exhaust, powercommander (for adjusting fuel trims), and removal of secondary throttle plates/butterflies. In stock form, the ecu would keep the secondaries closed at off idle until about 4Krpm. As the revs increased, the ecu would progressively open the secondaries until they were completely open near redline. This explains the decrease in gains. Why have secondaries at all? The manufacturer felt they were a necessary nanny so riders don't hurt themselves. The bike was a 2008 kawasaki concours 1400. The brother bike, the zx14 had a similar design (though no variable valve timing i believe). On that bike, losing the secondaries makes an even greater difference.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
kingdavid

Dang, lotta aggression towards ARK from OP and not a lot of support for these guys huh?

Seems to me ARK's big advantage is its sound, from those chambers it was a big consideration for them when they designed the exhaust and They did a pretty badass job.

Also seems like OP is determined to get hard dyno numbers out of ARK and is calling their Rep out for not delivering...which is kinda' dumb considering the buyer would call wolf as soon as his own numbers didn't exactly match or surpass those...if the OP would even take the time to dyno his ride...Not that's hes going to feel 5-7HP anyway.

Furthermore, if OP is so concerned with HP why not spend the grand+ somewhere else? I'm not trying to cut a sake from you guys at ARK in any way but even theyed have to agree the big K could e dropped on or contributed to something else for better gains.

While it's understandable that OP would expect ARKs REP to extole the virtues of it's exhaust he's also gotta keep in mind that there are SO many exhaust systems and they're SO easy to make that its virtually impossible for ARK's to be best at everything, really anything if you think about it because maxing out in one area usually means sacrificing in another IE. big power =fart cannon sound, dodging emissions tests, suffering fuel economy etc.

ARK provides a good sounding product that also provides modest-middle of the ground gains in hp and comes ina package thats of pretty high quality materials. That's what they offer. It's not going to trump all other exhausts, it's not designed to. Get a clue OP
Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kingdavid
Get a clue OP
No offense, man, but with 20 posts and less than two weeks on the forum, I humbly suggest that you are calling out the wrong guy. It's pretty safe to suggest that Mike is one of the most knowledgable guys on this board.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kingdavid
Dang, lotta aggression towards ARK from OP and not a lot of support for these guys huh?

Seems to me ARK's big advantage is its sound, from those chambers it was a big consideration for them when they designed the exhaust and They did a pretty badass job.

Also seems like OP is determined to get hard dyno numbers out of ARK and is calling their Rep out for not delivering...which is kinda' dumb considering the buyer would call wolf as soon as his own numbers didn't exactly match or surpass those...if the OP would even take the time to dyno his ride...Not that's hes going to feel 5-7HP anyway.

Furthermore, if OP is so concerned with HP why not spend the grand+ somewhere else? I'm not trying to cut a sake from you guys at ARK in any way but even theyed have to agree the big K could e dropped on or contributed to something else for better gains. I'm sure that if I want it, there are others out there that want it as well.

While it's understandable that OP would expect ARKs REP to extole the virtues of it's exhaust he's also gotta keep in mind that there are SO many exhaust systems and they're SO easy to make that its virtually impossible for ARK's to be best at everything, really anything if you think about it because maxing out in one area usually means sacrificing in another IE. big power =fart cannon sound, dodging emissions tests, suffering fuel economy etc.

ARK provides a good sounding product that also provides modest-middle of the ground gains in hp and comes ina package thats of pretty high quality materials. That's what they offer. It's not going to trump all other exhausts, it's not designed to. Get a clue OP
Perhaps you should read the whole thread. I've offered in the past to cover all expenses related to getting before/after dynos of their exhaust, and was declined. The offer was inclusive of dyno time on both a dynapack and dynojet, fuel, and labor for exhaust swaps.

I don't know what more I can offer to get the dynos I want, short of buying the exhaust myself. I generally do exhaustive research on everything I do, car mods included, and unfortunately, I can't find the data I want when it comes to the ARK exhaust.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30
No offense, man, but with 20 posts and less than two weeks on the forum, I humbly suggest that you are calling out the wrong guy. It's pretty safe to suggest that Mike is one of the most knowledgable guys on this board.
This...

Quick Reply: ARK exhaust question - What are it's technical merits?