Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Low-end RPM power loss with HFC's?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@SRG: Let me know what your results will be once you install it, dude!

@tharbemiko: Tell us if you feel any different after putting them on; faster, slower, what? Share what you'll be feeling as well as how the car will be performing, and thanks!

@coolraz: Yeah, I think I've read your thread about the wheels, bro. It was really helpful, actually. But I guess we're slowly coming to the same result on the low-end torque loss.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Soliditude

By the way, now that we've taken this thread into, like, 4 potential HFC low-end torque loss confirmations from different people, I want to make it solid for anyone else who will wonder about this. So make sure to share your results, guys!

However, I'm expecting SRG to actually get good results, because he's only using the HFCs with stock exhaust. I guess we wait and see.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
tharbemiko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright I finally got my HFC's installed today at Amplified. Note I have the stock exhaust.

I don't really notice any low-end torque loss according to my butt dyno. If I hadn't read the other threads about HFC's causing torque loss, I would not have even thought about it at all . I don't drive spiritedly at all (I usually keep my RPMs between 2.5-3.2k RPM), and even after the install my car has no trouble pulling me forward. I definitely don't regret getting the HFCs
Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by tharbemiko
Alright I finally got my HFC's installed today at Amplified. Note I have the stock exhaust.

I don't really notice any low-end torque loss according to my butt dyno. If I hadn't read the other threads about HFC's causing torque loss, I would not have even thought about it at all . I don't drive spiritedly at all (I usually keep my RPMs between 2.5-3.2k RPM), and even after the install my car has no trouble pulling me forward. I definitely don't regret getting the HFCs
Sweet, man! Congrats on your HFCs. Enjoy them.
I keep my car within the same RPM range, and I still feel that it's way more powerful than stock. I guess after the exhaust and HFCs completely brake in, they perform a lot better. After 1,000+ miles with the exhaust, it just keeps feeling better and better.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM
tharbemiko

After driving for a few days, I definitely do notice some low-end torque loss . But don't get me wrong...it's still sufficient enough for daily driving. However I do notice the car pulls harder above 4k RPM
Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by tharbemiko
After driving for a few days, I definitely do notice some low-end torque loss . But don't get me wrong...it's still sufficient enough for daily driving. However I do notice the car pulls harder above 4k RPM

Hmmm... Really? Dang. All in all, I guess they're still worth it. The sound is what makes it sick. But hey, at least we've got a confirmation on the issue now. Thanks for letting us know, bro.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 PM
borfoo3
Registered Member

Hey guys, I've had my FI CF CBE + HFC's in for 1400 miles, and although there's much more power in higher revs and more willingness from the engine to rev, i did sense a slight torque loss off the line (mostly felt when accelerating from standstill 'til about ~3k rpm)

Since I'm back home now, I'm planning on dynoing the car tomorrow and post both dynos (base vs upgrades) as soon as they're ready! Stay Tuned :P
Old 05-30-2011, 06:24 PM
tharbemiko

Originally Posted by Soliditude
Hmmm... Really? Dang. All in all, I guess they're still worth it. The sound is what makes it sick. But hey, at least we've got a confirmation on the issue now. Thanks for letting us know, bro.
Yeah my radio has been turned off just so that I can hear the exhaust note

@borfoo3: looking forward to the results
Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have BERKS HFC and Stillen GEN 2 CAI with a 6MT I notice more top end power but I don't notice any loss in torque. If Anything I can spin my ties much easier than stock.

Buttt... I don't have a tune yet. Go get an UpRev tune and unleash the beast! End of Story.

...Yes The HFC retain the stock G sound but amplifies it when you get on it! LOVE MY HFC TO DEATH!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
I have BERKS HFC and Stillen GEN 2 CAI with a 6MT I notice more top end power but I don't notice any loss in torque. If Anything I can spin my ties much easier than stock.

Buttt... I don't have a tune yet. Go get an UpRev tune and unleash the beast! End of Story.

...Yes The HFC retain the stock G sound but amplifies it when you get on it! LOVE MY HFC TO DEATH!
I love how you have your G done. It's clean and just sexy. 5 stars. By the way, did you notice any feel-able gains from the Gen. 2's? I want intakes, but don't want to go through the pain of Gen. 3.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Soliditude
I love how you have your G done. It's clean and just sexy. 5 stars. By the way, did you notice any feel-able gains from the Gen. 2's? I want intakes, but don't want to go through the pain of Gen. 3.
Thanks man!

Yes when I got the GEN 2's(which was before I got the hi-flow cats) I noticed power around 3,000rpm - up. They Seem to have most power in the 5,000-7,500 RPM range and gets pretty loud up at those RPMs.

On the highway flooring it, at 5,500-$7,500 RPMs my intakes are louder than my exhaust with high-flow cats. Sound mean as hell. I only got the GEN2 because I was worried about Florida Rain and didnt want to cut my front panel out. The GEN 3 makes the most power and is clearly the loudest CAI out.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Thanks man!

Yes when I got the GEN 2's(which was before I got the hi-flow cats) I noticed power around 3,000rpm - up. They Seem to have most power in the 5,000-7,500 RPM range and gets pretty loud up at those RPMs.

On the highway flooring it, at 5,500-$7,500 RPMs my intakes are louder than my exhaust with high-flow cats. Sound mean as hell. I only got the GEN2 because I was worried about Florida Rain and didnt want to cut my front panel out. The GEN 3 makes the most power and is clearly the loudest CAI out.
Yeah, same here for me. I'm in Oregon, and we get plenty of rain to be worried about. Especially this year, it's been the rainiest one ever since I've lived here. I guess if we want less trouble/worries, Gen. 2 is the way to go.

Regarding your exhaust setup, do your HFC's ever get louder when driving a while in warmer weather? I noticed that after driving around in the sun for some time, I come to a stop and my car is just roaring in one spot, lol. Anything like that with your Berks?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I do notice after driving a while the exhaust (test pipes here) gets louder. maybe it has to do with the heat of the pipes? But in my experience at night (relatively cold), idle is loud as hell!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
I do notice after driving a while the exhaust (test pipes here) gets louder. maybe it has to do with the heat of the pipes? But in my experience at night (relatively cold), idle is loud as hell!
I think so, too, because it only happens when I drive for a while. I guess the warm weather just assists in the pipes/exhaust getting hotter. And today, I actually used A/C for the first time, because we finally got a little bit of sun, and the exhaust got significantly louder as I turned it on... That made me go:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lol that's because ac causes your car to run at a higher rpm.

Quick Reply: Low-end RPM power loss with HFC's?!