Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Low-end RPM power loss with HFC's?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL no CEL for me, just put some steel wool in the extended O2 Bung

and even if it did, a tune will cure that, as will putting on the stock cats haha.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
LOL no CEL for me, just put some steel wool in the extended O2 Bung

and even if it did, a tune will cure that, as will putting on the stock cats haha.

Hmmm... How would I be able to find a good place to ECU tune around Portland, OR? I've googled places, but came up empty. And by "good," I mean pros that know exactly what they're doing, so that I don't get any retarded scew-ups, lol. If anybody knows, please share, because so far I'm the only guy I know from this forum that's from OR...
Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post it in your regional forum down below haha.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just install your stock cats and sell me the hfc's for cheap.

But seriously, if you really enjoy low end torque then you bought the wrong car. A V8 or a turbo diesel would suit you better.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Just install your stock cats and sell me the hfc's for cheap.

But seriously, if you really enjoy low end torque then you bought the wrong car. A V8 or a turbo diesel would suit you better.
LOL... Well, no, because I absolutely love the G37 just like its predecessor; I just didn't want it to end up loosing low-end power as compared to stock since most of my driving is in the low-end, and because if there's anything the G needs, it's a bit more torque. If you've ever driven the 335i, you know what I mean--too bad BMW reliability blows, lol. But in case I do ever take off my HFCs, I'll PM you for a sale.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM
SRG

Interesting thread since I will be purchasing berk hfc... Im just a normal driver who loves the stock exhaust but would want more of a growl without losing that beautiful stock exhaust and after much research, hfc is the way for that but i definitely don't want to lose power at the lower rpms since I like to cruise most of the time and drive under 3.5krpms.....decisions decisions...
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
when i put on my HFC i noticed a difference right away in the low tq..you best bet is dyno before and after before you put the HFC on that will tell you what you gained or lost..
Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by SRG
Interesting thread since I will be purchasing berk hfc... Im just a normal driver who loves the stock exhaust but would want more of a growl without losing that beautiful stock exhaust and after much research, hfc is the way for that but i definitely don't want to lose power at the lower rpms since I like to cruise most of the time and drive under 3.5krpms.....decisions decisions...
Yeah, dude, you're faced with the same thing I'm debating about. The only difference is, because you don't have an aftermarket, less-restrictive exhaust, I don't think the HFCs will cause you to loose torque; it's only because I have the open cat-back in combo with the HFCs that's making my concern. However, I'm not an expert on this subject. Although, most people say that they can feel a good difference when applying just the HFCs to the stock exhaust, so you should be alright.

The only thing that I would recommend is going with the Fast Intentions HFCs, because they give you no "check engine" lights whatsoever. I've had mine on for over 1,000 miles and I've been good since day 1. Research the Berks before buying.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by chuckie311
when i put on my HFC i noticed a difference right away in the low tq..you best bet is dyno before and after before you put the HFC on that will tell you what you gained or lost..
Yeah, but the crappy part for me is that I can't do any dynos or tunes from where I live in the current moment. And I don't really want to dyno unless I'm doing something really serious like TT or SC. This is more of a lightweight issue for me, because my car does feel faster than stock with this setup, and I started wondering if it could be even better with removing the HFCs after finding out they decrease low-end torque.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Soliditude

If anyone that has done dynos of HFCs vs. Stock Cats reads this, please confirm. I'm sure there must be someone out there that has wondered about this.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 PM
SRG

Originally Posted by Soliditude
Yeah, dude, you're faced with the same thing I'm debating about. The only difference is, because you don't have an aftermarket, less-restrictive exhaust, I don't think the HFCs will cause you to loose torque; it's only because I have the open cat-back in combo with the HFCs that's making my concern. However, I'm not an expert on this subject. Although, most people say that they can feel a good difference when applying just the HFCs to the stock exhaust, so you should be alright.

The only thing that I would recommend is going with the Fast Intentions HFCs, because they give you no "check engine" lights whatsoever. I've had mine on for over 1,000 miles and I've been good since day 1. Research the Berks before buying.
Hmmm I'll keep you posted lol when I get it installed.. Hopefully i don't feel any losses but gains.... I read a lot about the Berk hfc and it seems that its one of the best from what I read that is
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by SRG
Hmmm I'll keep you posted lol when I get it installed.. Hopefully i don't feel any losses but gains.... I read a lot about the Berk hfc and it seems that its one of the best from what I read that is
Cool! Yes, keep us posted please. I want to know what you'll be feeling with them on. When are you planning to get them?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
tharbemiko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm actually going to get mine installed tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't have a before and after dyno run..
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
SRG

Cool! Yes, keep us posted please. I want to know what you'll be feeling with them on. When are you planning to get them?
Purchased the berk today... So I assume about a week for transit
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 PM
coolraz

If anyone that has done dynos of HFCs vs. Stock Cats reads this, please confirm. I'm sure there must be someone out there that has wondered about this.
After my HFC install I did feel the car was not as fast in the low rpm, but it definitely is faster in the top end. I drive most of the time above 3krpms though so I'm happy : )
To be fair, I also got heavier wheels/tires so that may be affecting it....

Quick Reply: Low-end RPM power loss with HFC's?!