Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Fast Intention TP's + Invidia Q300 (6MT G37 Sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:10 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Fast Intention TP's + Invidia Q300 (6MT G37 Sedan)

First of all, let me begin by saying that a racheting wrench with pivoting head is IMPERATIVE. I had to go out and buy one after initially trying to do it with a non-swiveling wrench. Most definitely is the ONLY WAY to get into the tight spaces to undo those bolts off the headers + OE cats.

As far as the top bolts go, I saved myself the trouble and took the car into a buddy's dealership. They broke off both "infamous" top bolts as directed, and loosen all the other bolts as well. Definitely made things easier. Start to finish, minus the time it took to go out purchase the new wrench, was approximately two and half hours. NOTE: Keep in mind that when you're taking off the OE cats, ONE of the nut-less bolts (for lack there of terminology) REMAINS ON THE HEADERS. I initially thought I somehow had to remove it - it was rather discouraging. It seems that no matter how you take it apart, the "nut-less bolts" automatically drop out as you undo the nuts; you shouldn't have to hammer/yank/pull/drill/torch any of them. Re-installment was straight forward. Without the right tools...you're toast (O2 socket made it really easy as well).

As far as the start up process went, I used the "Reset your ECU" DIY prior. Started right up, without any CELs. Drove around for about 10 minutes without any incurring CELs (keeping my fingers crossed). No leaks as far as I can tell. Lots of smoke and other odd ended scents, evident of (what I'm assuming) the pipes breaking in. The exhaust note is definitely louder. Much louder than the original note of the Invidia exhaust. Growl's definitely there, as is the drone ()...but it was expected. The only thing that bothered me some, and I do see it becoming a problem in the future, is the drone particularly at ~2000 rpms when decelerating in gear. The drone rattles/shakes/vibrates the entire car. At this point it's both audible and ... feel-able (??!?!?! lol). Will get a sound clip later this week for you all.

First to have this combo I believe TP's are non-resonated (I have a thing for test pipes/pre-cat deletes + quiet exhausts...just my thhaaanngg).

Last edited by eksigned; 05-03-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought the q300 was the non resonated one and the Gemini was the resonated one. Confused! Check out my thread and tell me if the sound is the same!
The following users liked this post:
Infiniti_steve (03-24-2015)
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Ps I'm not getting drone though haha
Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
I thought the q300 was the non resonated one and the Gemini was the resonated one. Confused! Check out my thread and tell me if the sound is the same!
Gimme linky!
The shipment box definitely says Q300. For the sedans, there aren't Gemini Invidias available. Instead, we get the Q300's with upgraded X pipe. Confirmed with Invidia-USA. The Gemini "model" makes a bit more hp (minimal) because of their muffler placements, as told again by Invidia-USA (although I'm not sure what they meant by "placement"...? Maybe the design?)

Edit: When I mentioned non-resonated, I was referring to the test pipes. Did you get that mixed up?
Edit: Just kidding...reread your post lol
Old 05-03-2011, 02:50 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Originally Posted by eksigned
Gimme linky!
The shipment box definitely says Q300. For the sedans, there aren't Gemini Invidias available. Instead, we get the Q300's with upgraded X pipe. Confirmed with Invidia-USA. The Gemini "model" makes a bit more hp (minimal) because of their muffler placements, as told again by Invidia-USA (although I'm not sure what they meant by "placement"...? Maybe the design?)

Edit: When I mentioned non-resonated, I was referring to the test pipes. Did you get that mixed up?
Edit: Just kidding...reread your post lol
It's the exhaust thread right under yours haha. It's called invidia gemini blah blah blah.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 AM
eksigned

Hm...I'll have to get it out in the open tomorrow. It sounds some what the same.
Did I say I had rasp? Not so much, but the DRONE is definitely there (for me). Sounds like you don't have much...-_-

By the way...was that first clip your initial start up? Notice any thing different about your engine note when you took it for a spin the first time? I can't remember what it sounded like...but I had this weird...I wanna say "hissing" noise...amplifiedx5, coming from my engine bay, likely where the new TP's were. Breaking in noise?

By the way, found out today that I'll be moving to California in a few years for grad school . Concerned about my latest mod a little bit. But since you're doing it too.......... lol
Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Lol. Yes! I have that hissing noise always when I drive around from the engine bay. And on the overrun it comes out the exhaust haha.
Being in California, just be careful, and never go to irvine. Where are you going to Grad school? If it's USC, you'll be fine. Cops are too busy finding murderers to care about some guy with a loud exhaust.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Btw I have non res test pipes too. I was dead set on no rasp, I was ready to weld on a resonator if I got any. Luckily I didn't. Those massive resonators in the exhaust do their job!!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 AM
eksigned

dude...i'm getting some hissing noises when i let off the gas. leak maybe? can't distinguish between hiss or leak. boooo
Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Watch my first video! That's a hiss I have no leaks haha.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
soundclips!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

^lol look at mine. It's the same thing dude.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I see no clips or links....