Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Those of you with Fast Intentions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Those of you with Fast Intentions...

...do you have any drone cruising at a steady speed of 70mph or when the motor in under load like on mountain roads or hills? (please read the rest of my post before responding)

Let me first just say, I have owned and was one of the first G37's with the Fast Intentions Carbon Fiber CBE w/ FI X-Pipe and bought it new from Tony last February. I have since sold it, and am in no way knocking this product... Fast Intentions makes some awesome products and I've seen his work first hand a number of times because they're located about 10 mins from my house.

I currently have an 08 G37S with 5AT and noticed that it droned on the freeway at steady cruising speeds way too much for me to bare, so I sold it and switched my set up. I had my FI CF connected to Berk HFC's and sounded awesome while hitting the accelerator. It was loud & throaty with zero rasp and a great deep tone. Sometime's I really miss that sound, except while cruising on the freeway (it even gave me a headache from time to time & I'm not the kind of person to complain about loud cars.)

I'm wondering if I was the only one experiencing this or if it had to do with the rest of my set up. I've heard different opinions that the CF canisters allow more air to escape causing more noise and drone, and I've also heard other people say it was the HFC's.

Please include in you response if you have a 5AT, 6MT or 7AT... if you have the Magnaflow or FI X-Pipe, if you have the Carbon Fiber or Stainless Steel Canisters, and if you are running stock cats, HFC's or TP's (and what brands) ... Thanks, I'm thinking about possibly switching back to this exhaust depending on your input so please answer honestly. (also thinking about getting a 6MT in the future so I'm really interested in the answer for 5AT and 6MT.)

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 04-14-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
GraphiteG37S

I'll start off.... I was experiencing drone on the freeway cruising at 70mph and also when the motor was under load on mountain roads/canyons or hills. Also droned in 3rd gear at about 2K RPM.

Trans: 08 5AT
X-Pipe: Fast Intentions
Canisters: Carbon Fiber
Cats: Berk HFC

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 05-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well I had both CF and SS set ups and I felt the CF sounded deeper even though Tony said SS would be deeper but never did I feel there was much drone .

Trans: 5AT
X Pipe: FI
Canisters: CF/SS
Stock Cats:

All I heard was throatiness all day or was it drone ? Lol I do miss that system was seriously beastly.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 PM
GraphiteG37S

Thanks Diego, appreciate the honesty. I think my next set up if I were to do with Fast Intentions again would be the Stainless Steel canisters, kinda over the Carbon Fiber. It is super throaty, and that's exactly why I miss it. Closest sound you can get to a V8 with this 3.7L V6. Maybe it was the Berks?

Anyone else have some input... I really wanna hear from you 6MT guys. Maybe it's just the RPM range that the 5AT is stuck in on the freeway, 6MT and 7AT RPM is sure to be lower when cruising.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
VossenG37S

If I do this again it will be no resonators w x pipe. I'm really disappointed that I can't get my tanabe y and mid pipe for whatever BS reasons I keep hearing I'm almost ready to ditch my sexy *** mufflers and go back to F I !!! At least it came fully equipped ! I'm just debating if this is worth it.

For example!

Fast Intentions:

True Dual 2.5 inch piping - $1400

Tanabe Medallion Touring :

Medallion mufflers used $550
Mid pipe 520 is what I've found but not available for some Fn reason
Y pipe is $475 shipped but also backordered till early June at the least they say so add up and it's well over $1500 mark and not en true dual but still it's Tanabe and very high quality and god I love the tips.

I'm torn on what to do but here is my dilemma !

Spend a tad over 1000 for y and mid to have full tanabe exhaust or sell mufflers for $550 and pay the $800 diff and get FI again and be done w it.

So Tanabe Y+M+Touring mufflers

VS.

FI True Dual W X pipe/No resonators!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VossenG37S
If I do this again it will be no resonators w x pipe. I'm really disappointed that I can't get my tanabe y and mid pipe for whatever BS reasons I keep hearing I'm almost ready to ditch my sexy *** mufflers and go back to F I !!! At least it came fully equipped ! I'm just debating if this is worth it.

For example!

Fast Intentions:

True Dual 2.5 inch piping - $1400

Tanabe Medallion Touring :

Medallion mufflers used $550
Mid pipe 520 is what I've found but not available for some Fn reason
Y pipe is $475 shipped but also backordered till early June at the least they say so add up and it's well over $1500 mark and not en true dual but still it's Tanabe and very high quality and god I love the tips.

I'm torn on what to do but here is my dilemma !

Spend a tad over 1000 for y and mid to have full tanabe exhaust or sell mufflers for $550 and pay the $800 diff and get FI again and be done w it.

So Tanabe Y+M+Touring mufflers

VS.

FI True Dual W X pipe/No resonators!

I was debating cutting out the resonators on my FI with the newer x-pipe, but I hate rasp so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. The exhaust really isn't that loud for me even matched with resonated test pipes.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 AM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by Staples
I was debating cutting out the resonators on my FI with the newer x-pipe, but I hate rasp so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. The exhaust really isn't that loud for me even matched with resonated test pipes.
I don't mind the loudness of the FI cause it sounded great! But it's the WOHHHHHH drone that killed it for me on the freeway. Definitely not worth it. I've heard it with the FI RTP, but have never rode in a car with that for a long period of time. I might be stuck blaming it on my Berk's.

Hey Staples, follow my format... what exact set up do you have?

Trans:
X-Pipe:
Canisters:
Cats:

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 05-16-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 AM
AvosG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
next time u see me, drive my car n test it out.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 AM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by AvosG37
next time u see me, drive my car n test it out.
I should have just asked you from the beginning. Lol
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Staples

Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
I don't mind the loudness of the FI cause it sounded like SEX! But it's the WOHHHHHH drone that killed it for me on the freeway. Definitely not worth it. I've heard it with the FI RTP, but have never rode in a car with that for a long period of time. I might be stuck blaming it on my Berk's.

Hey Staples, follow my format... what exact set up do you have?

Trans:
X-Pipe:
Canisters:
Cats:
Trans: 6MT

X-Pipe: Newer X-pipe with CUSTOM 12" resonators (smaller resonators then what is offered by FI)

Canisters: Stainless Steel Rounds

Cats: N/A Custom double resonated test pipes

I really don't think the drone is that bad... especially being able to down / upshift if need be. For an automatic I'm sure it's a different story.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 AM
VossenG37S

For me I'm not touching the cats so Non resonated X for me ! Damn I Better stay off this thread b4 I order this bad boy lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 AM
GraphiteG37S

Yeah it's probably has to do with the RPM range that the 5AT sits in on freeway cruising (about 3000rpm) .. I found my self having to down shift and up shift a lot with the tip tronic. 6MT is probably a different story.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Staples

Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
Yeah it's probably has to do with the RPM range that the 5AT sits in on freeway cruising (about 3000rpm) .. I found my self having to down shift and up shift a lot with the tip tronic. 6MT is probably a different story.
Gearing is a little bit different, so if I'm driving and cruising at about 65mph in 6th gear, I'll hover around 2400RPM which puts you smack dab in the drone zone. I'll have to either speed up a little bit or down shift. The sound dampening in these cars are very good compared to the older 350s and newer 370s.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 AM
VossenG37S

Are you guys rolling w your windows up? I only wanted more sound out of my system when I had it . Drone? Was more like Throaty rummble.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 AM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by Staples
Gearing is a little bit different, so if I'm driving and cruising at about 65mph in 6th gear, I'll hover around 2400RPM which puts you smack dab in the drone zone. I'll have to either speed up a little bit or down shift. The sound dampening in these cars are very good compared to the older 350s and newer 370s.
As you can see there's a 600RPM difference between our motors while cruising based on the trans. It just seemed so annoying when I had it. I may have to give it another try. I had the 18 inch resonators btw.

Quick Reply: Those of you with Fast Intentions...