Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Those of you with Fast Intentions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Gear: 6MT
Catback: F/I with 18" resonators SS mufflers
Cats: F/I RHFC
Drone: 0

seems to be a A/T drone issue.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gear: 7AT
Catback: FI with SS mufflers
Cats: Stock
Drone: Slight, but when music is at ~5-8 it is barely noticeable.

Note: I will be putting on the FI HFC's this weekend so I'll let you know how that sounds...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
6MT...stock cats, new X pipe, 18" resonators with SS round mufflers.

I had a slight drone for about the first couple hundred miles literally RIGHT AT 59 mph. After doing some twisties and running the car hard from 5-7k and the exhaust being broke in, I have absolute ZERO drone through any gear. Absolutely LOVE my exhaust. I literally get compliments from anyone that hears it. VERY DEEP sound, I have people tell me after cruising behind/with me..."man, I want your exhaust so bad man, I LOVE the sound of it!"

Another thing I love about the exhaust is the in cabin sound is VERY minimul. Whether cruising or driving the car hard through the gears, most of the sound goes directly out the back of the car. Compared to exhausts I've had on other cars where I would literally get headaches or fall asleep to the humming when doing down the highway, this exhaust you literally can't even hear inside the car! Yet when I open the windows and I'm cruising next to a wall/building, I 100% know its there because of the sound reflection off the walls/buildings downtown.

By far rate this the #1 exhaust I've heard & ran!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM
coolraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhenka
Gear: 7AT
Catback: FI with SS mufflers
Cats: Stock
Drone: Slight, but when music is at ~5-8 it is barely noticeable.

Note: I will be putting on the FI HFC's this weekend so I'll let you know how that sounds...
Yeah please let us know about what happens with the HFCs. I think that's the main cause of my drone. The exhaust is breaking in so it's less prominent now, but depending on how mcuh hp difference there is with HFCs vs stock, I may go back to stock cats...
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I think it's a combination of the 5AT and CF canisters. Stainless Steel mufflers seem to have less cabin noise.

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 05-16-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Dimitry6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same car as you (even the same color) 08 5 AT , but my setup was a little different i have the cf fi exhaust but i was also running fi test pipes and the drone was WAYYYY to loud and im a fan of loud cars also, but testpipes tend to do that but yes i know the drone your probably talking about
Old 05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Gear: 5AT
Catback: F.I with CF mufflers & their (older) Magnaflow x-pipe
Cats: Custom Resonated Test Pipes
Drone: Yes and I love it! It's part of owning a sexy deep-sounding exhaust. A deep sound is one that has very low frequency, sort of like bass in a music track. This low frequency happens to match with many objects' natural frequency causing them to rattle (resonance), I'll take a little drone for that beautiful note no problem.

Solution: When cruising around the city I'm always driving in Manual mode, shifting between 3-3.5k staying out of the drone region
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by R34 Eclipse
Gear: 6MT
Catback: F/I with 18" resonators SS mufflers
Cats: F/I RHFC
Drone: 0

seems to be a A/T drone issue.
Has nothing to do with the transmission, I'm sure you shift around 3k rpm vs the AT that shifts at around 2k rpm (drone region)

Try driving around and shifting at 2-2.2k rpm then cruising on 6th at that rpm, you will not the drone.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
saparda

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had the SS and currently i have the CF. i used to have also fast intentions HFCs but now i have long tube headers. and i also had the MagnaFlow X-pipe and a week ago i installed the new X-Pipe . had them in the following order

gear: 5 AT
SS (MagnaFlow) + HFCs = DEEP and little bit of drone.
SS (MagnaFlow) + LTH = 20% less drone than before and HIGH INCREASE in sound with high pitch exotic sound at high RPM!!

CF (MagnFlow) + LTH = 50% increase in drone than before setup and increase in the exotic sound, still high pitch sound but quality of the sound is better. (((cabin noise= everything shakes lol)))

CF (New X-Pipe) + LTH = BEST EXHAUST SOUND I HEARD FOR THE G37!! , i'd say 30% to 40% less drone than before setup but the sound became SO DEEP and the high pitch sound is almost gone. basically, deep exotic sound and goes up to the high RPM. and DEFINITELY there is a different feel in power, feels like the car jumps better now. (((cabin noice = so much less than before setup because the sound is really deep now so only shake because of the drone)))

i have to say, i have The Motordyne M370 Intake Manifold which i installed it along with the new X-Pipe, dont know if the jump cuz of it or cuz of the X-Pipe but am happy that i changed it .
Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by saparda
i had the SS and currently i have the CF. i used to have also fast intentions HFCs but now i have long tube headers. and i also had the MagnaFlow X-pipe and a week ago i installed the new X-Pipe . had them in the following order

gear: 5 AT
SS (MagnaFlow) + HFCs = DEEP and little bit of drone.
SS (MagnaFlow) + LTH = 20% less drone than before and HIGH INCREASE in sound with high pitch exotic sound at high RPM!!

CF (MagnFlow) + LTH = 50% increase in drone than before setup and increase in the exotic sound, still high pitch sound but quality of the sound is better. (((cabin noise= everything shakes lol)))

CF (New X-Pipe) + LTH = BEST EXHAUST SOUND I HEARD FOR THE G37!! , i'd say 30% to 40% less drone than before setup but the sound became SO DEEP and the high pitch sound is almost gone. basically, deep exotic sound and goes up to the high RPM. and DEFINITELY there is a different feel in power, feels like the car jumps better now. (((cabin noice = so much less than before setup because the sound is really deep now so only shake because of the drone)))

i have to say, i have The Motordyne M370 Intake Manifold which i installed it along with the new X-Pipe, dont know if the jump cuz of it or cuz of the X-Pipe but am happy that i changed it .
GREAT feedback!!!!!!

I would say 99% of the sound differences would have to do with the new X pipe Tony released about 9mo ago! I remember when Diego got it, he COULDN'T BELIEVE the difference the new xpipe made!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This makes me wanna get it, and after drivin behind Lance last night, Basterd :P I'm still up in the air between the Invidia and the FI. I've heard some awesome clips on the Sedans with the FI. Kinda reminds me of my old Injen + Kinetix setup on my coupe...but much quieter!