Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Those of you with Fast Intentions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe it was the HFC?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:28 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Maybe.. Or have to do with the 5AT.

I still laugh when I think about the answer Tony gave me when I talked to him about it. He said "I'd rather my exhaust have drone rather than rasp." LOL

Anyone else running a set up similar to how mine was?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
**** it I think I'n ordering it.

this is only if I don't get Tanabe mid pipe by the end of the week!
If I can't get a hold of it I'm done.

New set up will be !!!!

Fast Intentions True Dual 2.5
SS canisters
X Pipe W/O Resonators

Makes more sence to sell mufflers and spend $800 for this ^^^ rather thane keep mufflers and spend over $1000 for y pipe and mid.

And very funny cause I prefer drone over rasp.

I never felt it but I bet from outside it was puring all day long
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Damn bro...you shoulda just listened to me like 2 months ago???!!!! Same w/ the CC ;-) HAHA!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Call tony riiiiiiiiiiight now!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get a lot of drone when lugging around the gears 1800-2200 rpms. Dynamat in the trunk helps a LOT but it's still there.
2008 6MT Coupe
Fast Intentions CF
Turbo down pipes
Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 AM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have stainless steel oval canisters (the original) with resonated x-pipe, and stock cats on 7AT. I get a drone that vibrates the car at around 1700 rpm when the engine is under load. It's more pronounced when going up a hill or something. At freeway speeds (above 2k rpm) there is zero drone.

This setup is significantly different than your old one so it might be something to try.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
...do you have any drone cruising at a steady speed of 70mph? (please read the rest of my post before responding)...
I dont have the pipes yet, but these are the ones I was considering getting...and I love that "muscle" sound...you said you're not the type to complain about cars making noise...Is it REALLY that bad??? Just wondering If I would get tired of it after a while too...I still have the stock setup, and I was looking for something more aggressive...just wondering if it might make me tired of the noise after a while too? I have the Automatic shift paddles (still kicking myself for not getting a stick!) I wonder if that makes a dif?

Last edited by Only4theGnme; 04-14-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Devildog37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the 18" double res x pipe SS on with some Berk HFC's. I don't usually drive around on the highway much, but when I do notice the worst drone, it's around 55mph in 6th gear when the RPMs are low. It almost hurts to listen to at that point, I'm not exactly sure what to do to get rid of it all. When I get my speed up to 65, everything smooths out and sounds just fine.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by only4mal
I dont have the pipes yet, but these are the ones I was considering getting...and I love that "muscle" sound...you said you're not the type to complain about cars making noise...Is it REALLY that bad??? Just wondering If I would get tired of it after a while too...I still have the stock setup, and I was looking for something more aggressive...just wondering if it might make me tired of the noise after a while too? I have the Automatic shift paddles (still kicking myself for not getting a stick!) I wonder if that makes a dif?
The "muscle sound" is incredible compared to the stock sound of the oem exhaust. I've heard just about every exhaust they make for the G and still I prefer the loud rumble of the FI and it produces great power. I just grew tired of the drone, especially when the motor is under a load. If you can stand that then go for it. I agree drone is way better than rasp, this exhaust set up has zero rasp and the quality of the craftsmanship is incredible, it's all hand made by FI.

Maybe the stainless canisters do a better job of avoiding the droning than the CF canisters do?

Originally Posted by Devildog37
I have the 18" double res x pipe SS on with some Berk HFC's. I don't usually drive around on the highway much, but when I do notice the worst drone, it's around 55mph in 6th gear when the RPMs are low. It almost hurts to listen to at that point, I'm not exactly sure what to do to get rid of it all. When I get my speed up to 65, everything smooths out and sounds just fine.
I agree, I found my self speeding up a lot more on the freeway to get out of this so called "drone zone". I would use the tiptronic to either shift really early, or hold out the gear to avoid the drone. And you're right I forgot about how bad it was under a load, like going up hill, or in the canyons.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol so I'am not the only one who sold the FI catback because of drone..

Gear: 7AT
Catback: F.I with 18" resonators CF mufflers
Cats: double resonated Test pipes custom by FI
Drone: A lot
Regret selling? Nope

Im waiting for the right exhaust that is engineered to eliminate the drone/rasp even if it fitted with test pipe/HFC... who knows, maybe Injen, motordyne, and other exhaust that will come in the future will be engineered to eliminate the drone..

I'll just wait for the right exhaust this time..
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM
G-ThirtySe7en

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droogie
I have stainless steel oval canisters (the original) with resonated x-pipe, and stock cats on 7AT. I get a drone that vibrates the car at around 1700 rpm when the engine is under load. It's more pronounced when going up a hill or something. At freeway speeds (above 2k rpm) there is zero drone.

This setup is significantly different than your old one so it might be something to try.
This is what I see too (in bold). I'm 6mt, CF exhaust, rest of the exhaust stock. I'd say the drone lets off around 2100rpm for me. Doesn't really bother me, I can just shift if neccy, just sometimes in LA freeway traffic I'm a little tired of shifting and just bear with it.

For the op's question, cruising at 70mph, I'm closer to 3k rpm and there's no drone.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:25 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by JimmiesG
lol so I'am not the only one who sold the FI catback because of drone..

Gear: 7AT
Catback: F.I with 18" resonators CF mufflers
Cats: double resonated Test pipes custom by FI
Drone: A lot
Regret selling? Nope

I'll just wait for the right exhaust this time..
You are not alone. Lol. I guess you're just running the stock exhaust until something new comes out right?

Thanks everyone for your answers and input.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
You are not alone. Lol. I guess you're just running the stock exhaust until something new comes out right?

Thanks everyone for your answers and input.
yep im on stock exhaust.. waiting for the right exhaust this time..
Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
7 a/t
FI SS round 18" resonators with the new FI X-pipe
stock cats
yes there is drone, but for me its tolerable drone. i can understand why it would annoy some people as i have had passengers complain about the drone.

Quick Reply: Those of you with Fast Intentions...