Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review My Berk Testpipe Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My Berk Testpipe Review

Some of you may know that about 2 months ago i made a thread called "could infiniti make it any harder to instal test pipes". It was a failed attempt trying to instal these, in 4 hours i broke one bolt... Anyways onto to some success and tips so you dont deal with what i did.

Tip 1) PB BLASTER!! the first time i attempted this i used WD-40, and could NOT undo either of the bolts you access through the engine bay (i broke one with an impact gun on the passenger side). I soaked all the bolts (and o2 sensors) with a generous amount of PB Blaster, and every 15 minutes or so just resprayed them. We got all the bolts under the car, and the driver side bolt accessed through the engine bay in ONE PUSH.

Tip 2) Use 1/2" extensions. I used 2 10" 1/2" extensions and a 2 foot torque wrench

Tip 3) Use a o2 Sensor remover socket. I removed the cats, then put them in a vice grip and removed the o2 sensors, with the pb blaster it took one push of the torque wrench to undo them.

Tip 4) Stripped bolt extractor. The hardest bolt was the drivers side through the engine bay, mainly because we stripped it attempted to use a impact gun. i went to home depot, for 30 bucks bought a set of stripped bolt extractors (basically a socket with teeth). The socket gripped the bolt and it only took one turn to undo it, they are a life saver

Tip 5) I reccommend using anti sieze on all the bolts you replace incase you need ro remove them for the future, youll thank yourself later. I got some from canadian tire for 9.95.

NOW a quick review. Test pipes are about half the weight of the stock cats.
They sounds great, the stock exhaust is noticably louder on a cold start but not too much longer at normal idle.

At WOT they are pretty easily heard, just sounds like a woosh noise (hard to explain haha). and if you accelerate from around 1-3k revs fast, you can hear them.

Since the exhaust is no longer filtered, it SMELLS sweet (unburnt gas). the smell is very noticable if your car is warming up in the garage ect but not when your moving. DRONE is noticable when cruising at low rpm (1-2K) i notice it mostly at very slow accelerating around 1.5k. I have not noticed much drone at highway speed (i dont drive highway all that much).

RASP is slightly noticable around heavy accelration, but nothing major at all. Personally i like the drone, slight rasp and smell, it makes me feel like ive brought some life to the exhaust. But dyno says wohoo but thats likley just from the increased sound. Now some pics and a very crappy iphone 3g video (im the guy smelling the exhaust)

YouTube - G37 stock exhaust with Berk test pipes
The video is horrible quality, ill try taking another with my iphone 4 this week

Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
woot for loud noises! I'm planning the same on my x coupe as well. Better vids would be nice lol
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Steveo47

it for sure louder, my girlfriend was in my car and i started and she said "Steven... you said it wasent THAT much louder...". Shes not really into the car stuff haha. If i remember tomorrow morning ill put my phone behind my car and start it up.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Devildog37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Spot on review of the installation. I put my own set of Berk HFC's about 2 months ago and agree with you on all counts, except that I was able to get the passenger side engine compartment bolt off incredibly easily. The drivers side one was a HUGE PITA. I first soaked it in PB and wd-40 and tried using an impact gun with no success. Then I used a bolt extracting kit because the gun stripped the bolt, one 2ft extender, a 3ft breaker bar and a healthy portion of MAN and could not at all get that thing off. I went as far as laying under my car with an angle grinder contemplating how I would saw through the stock cat. I ended up just taking it to an exhaust shop and having them do it. They had to use a freaking blowtorch and a high powered impact gun and some crazy extracting kit to get the bolt off.

Nice review again.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Steveo47

Originally Posted by Devildog37
Spot on review of the installation. I put my own set of Berk HFC's about 2 months ago and agree with you on all counts, except that I was able to get the passenger side engine compartment bolt off incredibly easily. The drivers side one was a HUGE PITA. I first soaked it in PB and wd-40 and tried using an impact gun with no success. Then I used a bolt extracting kit because the gun stripped the bolt, one 2ft extender, a 3ft breaker bar and a healthy portion of MAN and could not at all get that thing off. I went as far as laying under my car with an angle grinder contemplating how I would saw through the stock cat. I ended up just taking it to an exhaust shop and having them do it. They had to use a freaking blowtorch and a high powered impact gun and some crazy extracting kit to get the bolt off.

Nice review again.

man sounds like you had a rough time with that bolt, i used 2 1/2" extentions, and a 2 foot long torque wrench, we pick the stripped bolt extractor socket on , fit it in (by wiggling it so the teeth could dig in). I push forward on the torque wrench to keep it on the bolt, and my friend turn it... took one turn. Pb blaster helps will everything though. You just got a ****ty bolt
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dam! Are they resonated? That's my next mod
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Steveo47

Originally Posted by doggyfresh102
Resonated? screw that resonators are for the weak.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Doggy

Ya but sometimes on an aftermarket exhaust
Like my hks non resonated will be way too raspy
Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Steveo47

ah rasp brings some character to the exhaust, with the stock exhaust and these test pipes, i find minimal rasp
Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Doggy

Trust me with an aftermarket setup you better get used to rasp!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Steveo47

i dont really mind it, i dont know why everyone hates it so much
Old 02-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Devildog37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I was doing everything I could to get that guy off. I set everything up so I could put the breaker bar on my shoulder then stand and use my legs to break it. Obviously didn't work, and I'm a runner with pretty strong legs. It really sucked and I was completely exhausted and frustrated, so I gave in. I should have asked the shop if I could have the bolt as a trophy or something.

And I get a little bit of drone that I'm starting to notice now, it's really not that big of a deal especially when I have the music pumped up.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Steveo47

Originally Posted by Devildog37
Yeah, I was doing everything I could to get that guy off. I set everything up so I could put the breaker bar on my shoulder then stand and use my legs to break it. Obviously didn't work, and I'm a runner with pretty strong legs. It really sucked and I was completely exhausted and frustrated, so I gave in. I should have asked the shop if I could have the bolt as a trophy or something.

And I get a little bit of drone that I'm starting to notice now, it's really not that big of a deal especially when I have the music pumped up.
drone doesnt both me, atleast i know my exhaust exists when im cruising! man i shoulda bought a rally car, no a luxury coupe.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 AM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice review and post. Glad you finally got it straightened out. The sound should be amazing now. Your gf will get used to it. LOL
Old 02-07-2011, 03:11 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by doggyfresh102
lol doggystyle you are going to have your azz handed to you by the state of California if you get some test pipes.

Quick Reply: Review My Berk Testpipe Review