Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Tanabe Medalion Mid-pipe and Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:17 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Tanabe Medalion Mid-pipe and Y-pipe

Well after waiting for what seemed like forever Tanabe finally came out with a new mid-pipe and y-pipe to go along with their axle back to make a full cat back exhaust. I first want to thank Nick at THMotorsports for hooking me up with a good deal on everything and even having the mid-pipe drop shipped straight from Tanabe.

First off the quality. Just like the axle back the quality of the Tanabe mid and y-pipe is outstanding. Perfect welds and a nice finish on everything. The fitment with just the axle backs was absolutly 100% perfect. With the new mid and y-pipe it's probably about 98% with only a few little things that only I would notice. The biggest one being the tips aren't quite perfectly centered anymore. I think the problem with this was caused by the cross bar they put on the end of the new mid pipe. I'm not sure on the reasoning for it, but it makes links the system together making it a little harder to adjust everything. Other than that everything else was perfect.

Installation was fairly easy and straight forward. I had the car up on a lift so it was a little easier but it wasn't too dificult of a task to begin with. Total install time took about 1 hour. Just about everything I needed was provided including extremely nice high quality gaskets, along with bolts and nuts. The only thing is it came with 2 bolts less than what I was needing. That was fine though since I just put HFC on a few months ago and just reused the cat to y-pipe bolts from them. Overall everything went on super easy and without a hitch.

Now for the most important thing, the sound. Keep in mind I already had the Tanabe axle back with Ichiba y-pipe and berk HFC so I wasn't expecting things to change much to begin with. After adding the HFC they made things a little higher pitched and more exotic sounding. With the new mid-pipe and y-pipe and made it a little louder and gave it a more deeper throatier sound which I really like. Its not near as deep sounding as Fast Intentions but it still sounds really nice. Startup and Idle have a nice throaty sound to them now. Lower RPM's have a nice aggressive rumble and WOT really screams.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with this setup and think Tanabe has done a really great job with this exhaust. Even without the HFC it should still sound amazing.

Here are some pics from the install along with a few sound clips.

Name:  7256594d.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  182.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0328.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0330.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0334-1.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0335.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  79.5 KB

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOd2IOUDtIs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOd2IOUDtIs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4sGNh1GEP4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4sGNh1GEP4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by wakeboardr116; 11-24-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:50 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
looks awesome! I love the video and review. These have been selling great since they were released a few months ago.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 AM
infamousstunna1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, that video sounds dayum good!
and where were you that you had that whole road to yourself like that?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 AM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review! Now I cannot wait to get these plus with my new R2C intake it should sound even better. Thumbs up for the review bro
Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 AM
symple84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you notice any change in performance with the new setup?? How about over completely stock??
Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds good! Yeah seems very high pitched vs my Fast Int but you have HFC, nice right up though. I always enjoy reading and watching independent reviews. Nice sound Fit and Finish!

Boosah^^^^ it's gonna sound smooth w out the HFC , I loved Tanabe W mufflers alone, a full Catback should def Amp up this system a Lil which is all you ever will need.

Thanks for sharing:0
Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by symple84
Did you notice any change in performance with the new setup?? How about over completely stock??
There might be a slight increase in power. It seems a little easier to break the tail end loose now. Over stock it is a completly different car, but I also have intakes and a tune.

Originally Posted by BlkHR37S
Sounds good! Yeah seems very high pitched vs my Fast Int but you have HFC, nice right up though. I always enjoy reading and watching independent reviews. Nice sound Fit and Finish!

Boosah^^^^ it's gonna sound smooth w out the HFC , I loved Tanabe W mufflers alone, a full Catback should def Amp up this system a Lil which is all you ever will need.

Thanks for sharing:0
Yeah the fast intentions is just a really deep sounding exhaust. I've heard a 370z and G37 with it and test pipes and it is still really deep. I was running next to the G37 on Saturday and he was definitly deeper but they were both about equally loud.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:43 AM
wakeboardr116

Added one more video to the first post.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
OK that second Video sounds FKN sick dude love that Throaty sound , I just love it... Any standalone Revs? Also any pics of how the Tips look after you istalled Mid pipe ?

Was your car driven around and warmed up b4 Vids?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
what about incabin noise? how loud or annoying are they?
f.i system i have right now hum way too much and some tired days i get headache
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM
wakeboardr116

Yeah it was warmed up before. There should be some idle revs in the first clip somewhere.

I don't have any pics of the tips right now. You really can't even notice anything too much. Just the right side tip is barely off center to the right.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by rAiN
what about incabin noise? how loud or annoying are they?
f.i system i have right now hum way too much and some tired days i get headache
Any catback is gonna have drone or incabin noise. It's not too bad cruising around the city. There's a little more drone on the highway but I think most of that is from the cats.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
InspiredMan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, great review, I might have to get that ypipe now. I've been pondering it for a while but I think you've convinced me.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:55 PM
THMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well hot diggity! I didnt even know you posted this up! Looks great, sounds great!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
wakeboardr116

Yeah I was meaning to pm you and let ya know I got it all but have been too busy to get around to it. I went out last night to make sure I got come clips before I left town today. Thanks again man.

Quick Reply: Review Tanabe Medalion Mid-pipe and Y-pipe