Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Magnaflow Catback Resonator Removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow Catback Resonator Removed

took my G coupe down to Midas in Annandale, VA today to have the resonators removed and replaced with straight pipes on my magnaflow catback. I also wanted them to check out what was causing the rattling noise with my exhaust after it was installed. Even though it was labor day and the place was pretty busy they were able to get the job done in a good amount of time so I was really happy about that and the service in general was great

now as many of you know the magnaflow system for our cars is notoriously known for it's loud "buzz" or "drone" at low rpm's, in fact when I first had my magnaflow installed a lot of my friends found it annoying while riding shotty
but after having the resonators removed nearly all of the drone is gone! deleting the resonators didn't completely remove the drone but I'd say about 80-90% of it is now gone and I for sure won't be missing it anytime soon lol. I actually like the fact that a bit of drone is still there since IMO it's exactly enough to let you know that there's something back there. Also, I don't know if any of you other magnaflow owners have noticed this but when the car is at rest, and you press the gas normally the car seems to be very reluctant to start "going" and revving higher unless you feed it more gas, kind of like it was a bit sluggish. but now acceleration is SO MUCH smoother and the movement of the car from stop to go feels a lot more "linear" and quicker off the line.

As for sound, there is a definite increase in sound after removing the resonators and the sound also kicks in at much lower rpm's. from low to mid rpm's (2K/3K-4K-5K) is where you can really tell the difference. Before the sound of the exhaust was somewhat muffled by the loud drone but now I can finally hear the music again! The car still retains the originial infiniti "purrr" but at a louder level and I love it. At high rpm's there is some slight rasp (as expected when removing the resonator) right before the car is about to shift (I have an AT ) but it is literally only there for a second and it kinda sounds cool because it only comes up when your about to shift lol.

Overall, I'm really happy with the change in sound and performance. The car runs so much smoother I wish I could describe it better. To anyone who has a magnaflow and is sick of the loud drone/sluggish feel I would definitely recommend this

It may be somewhat surprising that removing the resonators could make such a big difference but I was really surprised too. The only thing I think my setup is lacking is more SOUND but that's just because I'm obcessed with loud cars lol. I don't have any other performance mods besides the exhaust so maybe a pair of HFC's would solve that issue.

Oh and they got rid of the rattling sound too! I forgot to ask how they did it but its gone
Old 09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Do you have any videos?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Do you have any videos?
I'll record a few sound clips tomorrow since I'm going out for dinner in a little bit
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
greggv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you say resonators are you talking about the ones in front or the ones in the back? I don't know the difference.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:45 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Originally Posted by greggv
when you say resonators are you talking about the ones in front or the ones in the back? I don't know the difference.
the resonators are the two cylindrical cans that bulge out of the piping and come right after the X pipe on the magnaflow: