Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

why are exhaust systems so freakin expensive for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why are exhaust systems so freakin expensive for our cars?

like the title says...why the heck are exhaust systems so expensive for our cars? I understand that there's plenty of research and development that goes into producing them but in the end they are just metal pipes bent into shape by machines. maybe i'm just a little frustrated since i've tried some cheaper exhausts (megan racing axleback and now the magnaflow catback... I'm currently looking for something louder/different sounding) but I still think more than a grand for an exhaust system is ridiculous...

a friend of mine just bought a borla catback for his rx8 for a little more than $700 but what I don't understand is why a borla catback for the g37 costs around $1500...that's twice as expensive!!! I'm a college student and really don't have that kind of money to blow on my car...I think I'm just going to give up on finding the exhaust system that's "for me"
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Short answer: because people will pay that much for them. Being in college sucks for getting stuff for the car. So many things, so little cash.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Originally Posted by surfjax87
Short answer: because people will pay that much for them. Being in college sucks for getting stuff for the car. So many things, so little cash.
true that...but I still can't help but think that if a company were to produce a quality, competitive exhaust for a reasonable price it would do very well and make people like me very happy lol
Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy tanabe medallions.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 AM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Redline37
Buy tanabe medallions.
+1
Old 08-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
For the same reason that a GTR exhaust system costs twice as much as a G37 one. And a Ferrari system cost even more. Pricing is somewhat based on the model of car it's going on, not necessarily the costs to manufacture. If it's a more expensive car, owners can generally afford (and will be willing to pay for) more expensive after market parts. So producers price them accordingly.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
For the same reason that a GTR exhaust system costs twice as much as a G37 one. And a Ferrari system cost even more. Pricing is somewhat based on the model of car it's going on, not necessarily the costs to manufacture. If it's a more expensive car, owners can generally afford (and will be willing to pay for) more expensive after market parts. So producers price them accordingly.
+1, u gotta pay to play man, this one's a no-brainer
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
if you think the exhaust systems for our car expensive, check out exhaust systems for the M3, Porsche 911 Turbo and NSX. you're in for a world of hurt but I hear ya man. I have a friend whose owned each of the cars listed previously, he paid almost 6 GRAND for an exhaust system (I wanna say for the M3, but being for the Porsche makes more sense...) I know...
Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 AM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
if you think the exhaust systems for our car expensive, check out exhaust systems for the M3, Porsche 911 Turbo and NSX. you're in for a world of hurt but I hear ya man. I have a friend whose owned each of the cars listed previously, he paid almost 6 GRAND for an exhaust system (I wanna say for the M3, but being for the Porsche makes more sense...) I know...
I was just gonna say...gl with modding german cars. My friend with an M3 paid 7500 for an exhaust...and it was only an axleback!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I say be thankful that you are a college student and own a G and leave it at that. When I was in college I drove 1958 VW Bug.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can get a Megan Racing exhaust for $450......pretty reasonable
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
BlackG37Coupe

just get some used berk hfc and call it a day. and if you got the money, find a used tanabe axle back
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
DmfG37sTT

In my eyes if you dont have the money to buy what you really want then dont settle for less. Same up the money to buy something that you really want and it will mean alot more and sound alot better.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

I guess it makes sense...as long as there is demand for a product businessmen are going to take advantage of it. doesn't it ever bother you guys how we're being so blatantly ripped off? it sure does bother me...

but yeah I agree, most mods for german cars are insanely expensive...if I was driving a bmw I'd probably be crying right now lol. a good friend of mine drives a 335i and complains about it all the time on the other hand another one of my friends drives an american muscle car (dodge charger) and he's got headers, intake, and exhaust done for such a good price.

so in my case...would it be a good idea to have a custom exhaust made by a shop since it's a much cheaper option? I know of a very reputable place in my area that specializes in custom exhausts for nissan Zs and other cars, but does anyone have any experience with how long these kinds of systems last or does it simply depend on the shop? thanks for all the feedback everyone
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM
BlackG37Coupe

Originally Posted by ahmsg420
I guess it makes sense...as long as there is demand for a product businessmen are going to take advantage of it. doesn't it ever bother you guys how we're being so blatantly ripped off? it sure does bother me...

but yeah I agree, most mods for german cars are insanely expensive...if I was driving a bmw I'd probably be crying right now lol. a good friend of mine drives a 335i and complains about it all the time on the other hand another one of my friends drives an american muscle car (dodge charger) and he's got headers, intake, and exhaust done for such a good price.

so in my case...would it be a good idea to have a custom exhaust made by a shop since it's a much cheaper option? I know of a very reputable place in my area that specializes in custom exhausts for nissan Zs and other cars, but does anyone have any experience with how long these kinds of systems last or does it simply depend on the shop? thanks for all the feedback everyone
Which Shop?

Quick Reply: why are exhaust systems so freakin expensive for our cars?