Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Anyone running HFC with stock catback?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Anyone running HFC with stock catback?

Just wondering how much it change the exhaust tone and the performance gain. Catbacks cost too much $$$ I just can't see myself getting one. HFC on the other hand cost about half of the money and it replaces the most restrictive part of the car.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Raspy on the sedan.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as the OP.....

What about changing out to a better flowing Y-pipe? Any benefit?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

You will end up replacing the whole thing, if you just start in pieces. Just save up and get a whole system.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Saltfish has HFC's on a stock exhaust........sounds good
Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Had the ERZ HFCs on my stock sedan exhaust. Thought the rasp would go away before I got my FI CBE, but it never did. But it's totally gone now...
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOB
I was thinking along the same lines as the OP.....

What about changing out to a better flowing Y-pipe? Any benefit?
ypipe is already a free flowing. The whole exhaust is already free flowing. Exhaust should be a last mod for the G, or unless you just want sound first...

just get HFC and Tanabe mufflers.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 AM
SnoopSER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard it really a waste of money to replace the exhaust on a G because there is really no system that will give more power than stock< so if your getting exhaust it's basically for sound
Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 AM
adihere

I recently replaced the cats with berks hfc (still have stock exhaust for now) and I must say hands down best bang for the buck, makes the muted stock sedan exhaust really come alive like the Z's and G coupes maybe a tad deeper but same tone...Sound great and I really pleased with it...performance wise it does feel a bit more peppier and free flowing through all rpm ranges but the sound really did it for me. Now I can wait a lil longer till my exhaust (Invidia for AWD's) is made. I actually have sound clips before and after and if someone could help how to upload'em i post'em (files are pretty big - hd video)
Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by adihere
I recently replaced the cats with berks hfc (still have stock exhaust for now) and I must say hands down best bang for the buck, makes the muted stock sedan exhaust really come alive like the Z's and G coupes maybe a tad deeper but same tone...Sound great and I really pleased with it...performance wise it does feel a bit more peppier and free flowing through all rpm ranges but the sound really did it for me. Now I can wait a lil longer till my exhaust (Invidia for AWD's) is made. I actually have sound clips before and after and if someone could help how to upload'em i post'em (files are pretty big - hd video)
Cool, any noticeable rasp in the sound? Any issue with the check engine light? I am looking into Berks and FI HFC right now.

You can upload the vid to youtube or vimeo.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
adihere

you know what i never really heard the rasp..at all like some mention nor and get any CEL (berks are good like that) however i do have that hiss that all seem to have after reving, its not really noticable...and I did have some annoying exhaust vibrating/grindy type of sound for the 1st week I thought it was because i didnt have the gaskets on there. Berks apparently forgot to send'em to me and I couldnt wait so I got them hooked up anyways. They are on now but still have some of that vibrating(like 2 thin pieces of metal vibrating against each other) sound only around shift points but it seems to be quieting down a bit...idk but i think it from the stock exhaust cuz i used to hear it but in a more muted fashion when it was stock new as well...ill see when I get my exhaust.

Ill try to work on getting those vids up

Last edited by adihere; 07-26-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 AM
adihere

ok got that video of the before and after hfc's with stock exhaust upload...

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13640292&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13640292&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/13640292">G37 sedan before/after Berk HFC's</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user4351929">Adihere</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 PM
carz

wow big difference........nice difference at that
Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
adihere

yea bro you gotta get'em, you'll luv the sound of your coupe so much better
Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by adihere
you know what i never really heard the rasp..at all like some mention nor and get any CEL (berks are good like that) however i do have that hiss that all seem to have after reving, its not really noticable...and I did have some annoying exhaust vibrating/grindy type of sound for the 1st week I thought it was because i didnt have the gaskets on there. Berks apparently forgot to send'em to me and I couldnt wait so I got them hooked up anyways. They are on now but still have some of that vibrating(like 2 thin pieces of metal vibrating against each other) sound only around shift points but it seems to be quieting down a bit...idk but i think it from the stock exhaust cuz i used to hear it but in a more muted fashion when it was stock new as well...ill see when I get my exhaust.

Ill try to work on getting those vids up
that's the nature of hfc's - they almost all have some sort of hiss.

Quick Reply: Anyone running HFC with stock catback?