Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

K and N intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K and N intakes

Hi

I'm new to the whole mod thing, and did a search in this forum for K and N brand air intake kits.

Got a quote for $395 for a set of dual intakes from a local custom shop.

Anyone have K and N?

Will they actually increase gas mileage and HP?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
$395 for just the filters? Or are you talking about them fabricating piping too? For that price you can purchase a premade kit that is specific for your car. Most people do not like K&n filters because the oil used to refresh the filters can mess up the mass air sensor if you do not properly dry them after cleaning. Use the search feature. You can even google g37 intake sand come up with better pricing. Mileage increase or decrease because of intake is not noticeable.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
blitzebill

Originally Posted by godzilla619
$395 for just the filters? Or are you talking about them fabricating piping too? For that price you can purchase a premade kit that is specific for your car. Most people do not like K&n filters because the oil used to refresh the filters can mess up the mass air sensor if you do not properly dry them after cleaning. Use the search feature. You can even google g37 intake sand come up with better pricing. Mileage increase or decrease because of intake is not noticeable.

++++++

here's the product. this is the whole intake kit, piping, and everything designed to fit the G.

K&N Air Intakes, Cold Air Intakes - World Leader in Performance Air Intake Technology
Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM
blitzebill

here's the exact kit:

69-7078TS - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit
Old 06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
click here for all the different intakes https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...7-intakes.html The K&N intakes are more generic, for the price you are paying you can get much better intakes. Like i said most people do not like the filters because of the oil that can foul your sensors.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM
blitzebill

thanks Godzilla!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that intake specifically designed for the G? I'm not aware of any K&N intakes for the G. They do have replacement filters though for the stock intake. But for that price, you can check out a few short ram intakes or the Injen CAI.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
blitzebill

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Is that intake specifically designed for the G? I'm not aware of any K&N intakes for the G. They do have replacement filters though for the stock intake. But for that price, you can check out a few short ram intakes or the Injen CAI.
++++++++

those links I provided suggest that it is for the G.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd stay away from K&N. There are much better kits for our cars that have had extensive R&D.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
blitzebill

went to the Injen site, no kits for an 09 G sedan.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
If you aren't getting the longtube intakes which require some cutting/modding, get the R2c system...
Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 AM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stillen gen 3 for your sedan will give you the best performance, other then that one, I wouldn't bother, exhaust is probably a more important mod to really improve your car. GL...
Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 PM
blitzebill

so I'm reading about the R2c and Fujita intakes.

question: any advantages of using the short length intakes versus the long?

the short intake kits appear to be "user friendly" in that I could do this myself, whereas, the long pipe kits require cutting, which I'm not comfortable with, so I'd pay someone to install that type.

any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blitzebill
so I'm reading about the R2c and Fujita intakes.

question: any advantages of using the short length intakes versus the long?

the short intake kits appear to be "user friendly" in that I could do this myself, whereas, the long pipe kits require cutting, which I'm not comfortable with, so I'd pay someone to install that type.

any suggestions?
Hope this answers your question:

Short intakes are also known as short ram intakes which primarily get their air from the front grille. Since hot air rises and it's close to the (hot) engine, you may also get warmer air into the intakes which may degrade performance. Pros are that they are easy to install and the filters are easier to clean. Bonus points if you have heat shields (to minimize warm air intake). Since the air source is the same, many people also say that the stock airboxes are short ram intakes and that aftermarket ones are for looks.

Long intakes also known as cold air intakes (CAI) which have tubes that go down into the lower portions of the bumper. They get their air primarily from the vents near the bottom of the bumper. Theoretically you should be getting colder air from here, which may increase performance. Pros are that you are likely getting colder air which increases performance. Cons are that it is a little more difficult to install (for our Gs, you have to take off the bumper and also install a smaller container on the passenger side which sits directly behind the bumper vents) and cleaning the air filters also requires bumper to be removed.