Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Modified exhaust ticket WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AvosG37
cops pulled over me for exhaust n i told him it is lower than 95db but he said it doesnt matter if it lower than 95db. it not only for noise level, it also for enviroment n doesnt pass smog. but luckily, he was nice n let me go wit warning.
again, it's good to know the law. the cop was obviously full of it. he can't measure noise level or emissions without a device. he can send you to a state referee for noise compliance and emissions (which you should pass if you only have a catback) and you will win by written declaration.

unfortunately he was just harrasing you because he knew you didn't know abuot this.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Exactly. Don't listen to Chekov. He's only interested in living life 100% within society's rules. In other words: B-O-R-I-N-G. Life is too short not to have some fun....and if you consider a louder-than-stock exhaust fun, then by all means keep it on and pay the piper.
You’re assuming that having fun means breaking the rules. That, my young friend, is not necessarily true. After all, you can still have a stock exhaust and make some noise, if that’s what you consider fun. If you want to draw attention to yourself, all you have to do is stick your head out the window and shout, “VER-ROM, VER-ROM.” People will notice you, and you don’t have to pay a fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Gotta pay to play.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My bet, he didn't stop you for the exhaust. It's late, you look like you might have left an "establishment that serves alcoholic beverages"? But, your driving was good. So, he shakes you down, uses the exhaust as an excuse?
In California, I've seen cars towed and stored for "modifications".
Old 06-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting to get pulled over for a modified exhaust with stock cats when Florida doesn't have emissions and probably 15-20% of the cars on the road are catless. I have the FI rounded mufflers with test pipes and I haven't been harassed at all, actually I had 2 cops give me compliments on the way it sounded.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chekov
You’re assuming that having fun means breaking the rules. That, my young friend, is not necessarily true. After all, you can still have a stock exhaust and make some noise, if that’s what you consider fun. If you want to draw attention to yourself, all you have to do is stick your head out the window and shout, “VER-ROM, VER-ROM.” People will notice you, and you don’t have to pay a fine.
Actually, no that wasn't my assumption. Read my post again and you'll see that I clearly told the OP that if louder-than-stock exhaust was HIS idea of fun, then go ahead and have fun...but be prepared to pay if necessary.

You obviously have no idea of what I consider fun.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:53 PM
VossenG37S

I'm gonna go to court for this and hope for 1 cop does not show up and is dismissed, or 2 I'm gonna take info stating that fast int exhaust is 50 state legal . And hopefully by showing up to court fine is less than 115 $ what you guys think ? Advice appreciated .
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
You obviously have no idea of what I consider fun.
Perhaps you're right, but as much as I try, I cannot tap into your sense of humor. It makes me doubt if you ever have any fun.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess is you happened on a cop under quota, he saw a modified car, decided to give it a looksee for a violation, saw the CF mufflers and wala busted. I'm surprised the ticket doesn't include a requirement for removal but I guess that would hurt revenue. If you get busted again, I'd call FI and see if you can do a muffler swap or offer to trade someone online in a less retentive state for SS for a stock look.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
VossenG37S

Also how can the officer prove my exhaust was modified! I mean what if I go to court and say I don't have a modified exhaust that the car already comes with a dual exhaust system. Stupid question maybe but just a thought.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Easy, as I said you have CF mufflers, odds are if you didn't you wouldn't have a ticket.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkHR37S
I hear you^ yes I looked up the statute it clearly states that it doesn't neccesarily have to be above noise level , any altered exhaust not from factory is illegal .
So what if your factory exhaust breaks and needs to be replaced? Are they saying you are required to only use OEM parts? That doesn't sound right.

A quick search turned up that this forum in your state where someone posted part of the legal code. According to that, noise is a factor: the replacement exhaust just can't be louder than the stock.
Attention: Florida Exhaust Laws, Read Before Posting! - Tampa Racing
Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
VossenG37S

Someone want to trade SS round for my CF mufflers?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
My guess is you happened on a cop under quota, he saw a modified car, decided to give it a looksee for a violation, saw the CF mufflers and wala busted. I'm surprised the ticket doesn't include a requirement for removal but I guess that would hurt revenue. If you get busted again, I'd call FI and see if you can do a muffler swap or offer to trade someone online in a less retentive state for SS for a stock look.
Cops don't have quotas and that's official. It gets annoying when people assume they were busted because a police officer has a "quota" on the amount of tickets he has to write monthly. Now on the other hand if the cop was in a bad mood then he might be a little more trigger happy to write a ticket.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude...just pay for the ticket dont make this worst by going to court. Although, you might win if you go but that's uncertain until you go.

Quick Reply: Help Modified exhaust ticket WTF!