Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

HFC's void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Loi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomieG
il keep u guys updated on the situation.

:Cry:
The car looks sick! Looks like you hauling it to the track lol
Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'd ask them to see your "melted" clutch line. I replaced that line with a SS one. It does run relatively close to the cats. But guess what? THE HFC ARE IN THE EXACT SAME LOCATION AS THE FACTORY CATS!!! If the HFC burned the line, the OEM part would have done the same. Unless somehow the line was misplaced during your HFC install. I can't see how that could be done though, but perhaps it 's possible with extreme carelessness. The factory heat wrap isn't that great, I considered putting another heat resistant sleeve on it while I was replacing mine but ended up not doing it.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Loi
The car looks sick! Looks like you hauling it to the track lol
Thanks! I wish...instead it was getting towed to the stealership.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'd ask them to see your "melted" clutch line. I replaced that line with a SS one. It does run relatively close to the cats. But guess what? THE HFC ARE IN THE EXACT SAME LOCATION AS THE FACTORY CATS!!! If the HFC burned the line, the OEM part would have done the same. Unless somehow the line was misplaced during your HFC install. I can't see how that could be done though, but perhaps it 's possible with extreme carelessness. The factory heat wrap isn't that great, I considered putting another heat resistant sleeve on it while I was replacing mine but ended up not doing it.
They argued that the stock cats have heat shields and that these do not. I have not gotten a chance to see it yet. They said they took pictures. Im going down there tomorrow to pick it up. They are charging me $575 for a new line.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They argued that the stock cats have heat shields and that these do not. I have not gotten a chance to see it yet. They said they took pictures. Im going down there tomorrow to pick it up. They are charging me $575 for a new line.
They are straight up trying to rip you off. In the words of Mr. Cook..."Thanks for not f@cking me big time!"
Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 PM
TomieG

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
They are straight up trying to rip you off. In the words of Mr. Cook..."Thanks for not f@cking me big time!"
Yea $575 sounds a little over the top for a new clutch line and bleed. Im going in tomorrow and when they hand me the bill im gonna raise hell. Il have an associate from Berk on the phone with me as well.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanks! I wish...instead it was getting towed to the stealership.

Wow! There must be more to it than just replacing the clutch line. I bought the s/s braided one for $35 and it look me less than an hour to replace it and bleed it lying on my back under the car without enough room to work. $50 part (OEM), $100 labor (Infiniti hourly rate), $10 shop supplies (DOT 3 brake fluid), $415 price gouge. Ouch.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
TomieG

Wow! There must be more to it than just replacing the clutch line. I bought the s/s braided one for $35 and it look me less than an hour to replace it and bleed it lying on my back under the car without enough room to work. $50 part (OEM), $100 labor (Infiniti hourly rate), $10 shop supplies (DOT 3 brake fluid), $415 price gouge. Ouch.
Yea i will know the complete details tomorrow. All i know is they said they had to replace the line and bleed it. They charge $130/hour for labor.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

That job shouldn't take more than 1 hr to R/R clutch line and bleed the system. If they bill you for more than that they are screwing you.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Loi
That's what I was saying, even tho HFCs are not suppose to void warranty, dealership will be a PITA, making up excuses to avoid doing free work. It would probably get to the point where you have to take it to court. I hate dealing with dealership (warranty) service, their lies and excuses.
That job shouldn't take more than 1 hr to R/R clutch line and bleed the system. If they bill you for more than that they are screwing you.
Technically, they bill whatever the standard "hours" are for the job, regardless of how long it actually takes.

On the other hand, consumers all think that warranty work comes out of the dealer's pocket, but it doesn't. Infiniti pays the dealer to do it (albiet, at a lower rate, but something is better than nothing, especially when business is slow right?)
Old 05-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I understand how a shop bills its time. If it's billed at more than an hour, it's stealing. I work relatively slow and I'm not a trained technician, nor do I have the facilities of a dealership shop. My undrstanding is that warranty coverage is denied because of the HFC being blamed as the cause of the failure. So he's paying out if his pocket and getting charged almost $600 for a $200 job.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM
TomieG

I understand how a shop bills its time. If it's billed at more than an hour, it's stealing. I work relatively slow and I'm not a trained technician, nor do I have the facilities of a dealership shop. My undrstanding is that warranty coverage is denied because of the HFC being blamed as the cause of the failure. So he's paying out if his pocket and getting charged almost $600 for a $200 job.
Bingo! Theres a reason why everyone calls it the Stealership!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 AM
TomieG

Originally Posted by Loi
That's what I was saying, even tho HFCs are not suppose to void warranty, dealership will be a PITA, making up excuses to avoid doing free work. It would probably get to the point where you have to take it to court. I hate dealing with dealership (warranty) service, their lies and excuses.
Yea its kind of a lose lose situation. I mean if they put up an argument it would be cheaper and less timely to pay the fee then to hire a lawyer and go to court.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

For $575 you could fly me up for the weekend and I'll do the job for you.

Or you could do it yourself if you're able for $40 in parts and a hour of your time.