Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stock exhaust w/ HFC worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've actually been debating on doing this for a while, and I'm pulling the trigger at the end of this month.

Basically, what it comes down to is this: I love the stock VQ sound, but definitely would like it to be a bit louder. I hate how most aftermarket exhausts look (except the Amuse, damn that's the hottest thing in the world), and most of them don't keep any hint of the VQ sound except for maybe the HKS (not including the Tanabe). HFCs seem like the best bet. I have heard that there is little to no rasp with this setup, but have yet to hear it in person. A member here, Retromoe, who is also a member on G35NYC.com, made a video for me recently right before he put on his HKS exhaust.

Here's the video. Stock exhaust with Berk HFCs.

YouTube - Infiniti G37 stock exhaust with Berk's HFC's

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unctype-s
No offense, but that's ghetto.

ok fine..throw some flames on it as well
Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
I've actually been debating on doing this for a while, and I'm pulling the trigger at the end of this month.

Basically, what it comes down to is this: I love the stock VQ sound, but definitely would like it to be a bit louder. I hate how most aftermarket exhausts look (except the Amuse, damn that's the hottest thing in the world), and most of them don't keep any hint of the VQ sound except for maybe the HKS (not including the Tanabe). HFCs seem like the best bet. I have heard that there is little to no rasp with this setup, but have yet to hear it in person. A member here, Retromoe, who is also a member on G35NYC.com, made a video for me recently right before he put on his HKS exhaust.

Here's the video. Stock exhaust with Berk HFCs.

Hope this helps.
Pretty much my thoughts also. I also saw that Youtube vid a couple days ago but man, that doesn't sound anything near what the other vid was posted by the guy's car in the garage. I'm clueless on what to do now.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
The Jewbag

Originally Posted by unctype-s
Pretty much my thoughts also. I also saw that Youtube vid a couple days ago but man, that doesn't sound anything near what the other vid was posted by the guy's car in the garage. I'm clueless on what to do now.

What are your concerns with this video? I know that Mat Choy Boy had Berk HFCs for a little on stock exhaust and Retromoe had them for like a year (don't qoute me on that) and he didn't have anything but good things to say about that setup.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

Look at this vid Efuseakay posted w/ stock exhaust and Berk's HFC's.

YouTube - Before & After BERK HFC's

Now listen to the one you provided.

They dont sound anything alike in my opinion. The first video sounds way more aggressive when he gets on it than the one your guy did. Don't you think?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Garage vs. alley? lol
Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

It just sounds apples and oranges and not enough evidence for me to purchase this. I need to hear another outside video or a drive by.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
You will definitely get more sound. There is no doubt about that... and some extra hp by removing those restrictive stock cats.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Gee37S

I saw a dyno on here where a guy gained 13 whp from berk HFC and stock exhaust. He gained 8tq if I'm not mistaken... As far as sound goes, from what I've read it'll make the stock exhaust sound a little deeper and a little louder. Some have claimed that it's a little raspy upon cold starts.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

The word "raspy" scares me. That is what I am trying to avoid.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
cdso

Originally Posted by Gee37S
I saw a dyno on here where a guy gained 13 whp from berk HFC and stock exhaust. He gained 8tq if I'm not mistaken... As far as sound goes, from what I've read it'll make the stock exhaust sound a little deeper and a little louder. Some have claimed that it's a little raspy upon cold starts.
Do you remember where the gains were? I'm more interested in the area below the curve than just top end. Would love some additional torque down low.

I've been considering HFCs as well. Saw this vid of a G35 sedan with Tanabes and HFCs. Honestly not sure what I think about the sound. Check it out.

YouTube - Tanabe + BERK hfc drive off.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Gee37S

Yup, found it:
Originally Posted by bboysteele
Here is my comparison shot of before and after BERK HFCs. This chart only shows the HP gains so I will need to scan the sheet the printed for me to show you the TQ gains. Just so you know 13HP/6TQ gained also it cleaned up the Air Fuel ration a ton on the mid to high RPM range. I wish I had a before printout of the Air Fuel ratio to show you guys. Hope you don't mind me posting this to your thread Max.

From this thread:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...cs-vids-4.html

Reply #51
Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM
UNCTYPE-S
Banned

Originally Posted by cdso
Do you remember where the gains were? I'm more interested in the area below the curve than just top end. Would love some additional torque down low.

I've been considering HFCs as well. Saw this vid of a G35 sedan with Tanabes and HFCs. Honestly not sure what I think about the sound. Check it out.

YouTube - Tanabe + BERK hfc drive off.
That sounds like **** IMO.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 AM
cdso

@ Gee37S - wow, that looks good. Nice even gains all the way up! Wish he would have gotten the tq curve as well.

@ Unc - I agree...I don't think it sounds that good. The Tanabe alone sounds much better...deeper. That's the one thing keeping me from buying HFCs at this point. Hard to tell how loud it is...and I definitely don't want to be too loud and attract attention from cops.