Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Adding Intake, Exhaust, Headers, ect.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
mark5825

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Intake, Exhaust, Headers, ect.

I am about to get my dad's athens blue 2008 auto g37 and I am going to add some mods right when I get it. I am new to all this but I am considering the following:

Intake - Stillen Gen 3
Exhaust - Stillen, Fast Intentions, or MXP
Headers - Stillen

When I look at the dyno results I know the companies put their highest results but can you just add them for all the together for what should be expected or will there be a reduced or added amount when doing all 3 at once? Also what are the estimated install prices for these items?

I have also read about the following and was wondering which of these people actually pay for and is it for HP, suspension, sound, or looks?

Igor's custom headlights, Pulleys, Air Filter, Plug and Play Management System, Grounding Kit, Cobb access port, ACT clutch kit, Coolers

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OR ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, I AM GOING FROM A 99 CAMRY TO THIS CAR SO PRETTY NEW TO ALL OF IT
Old 03-20-2010, 12:36 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slow your roll there markymark, to answer all the questions you have asked someone would have to write a book!
Take some time....use the search function on this site....do some reading and all questions will be answered.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 AM
mark5825

i realize this is a lot, and iv read through everything on here just thought i would ask for my specific questions, but wouldnt it be better to get multiple things done at once? might get a cheaper rate on parts or installation
Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
mikelr

If you want to save money on parts make sure you check out the classifieds here on this site. Theres always someone selling off their hop-up parts for cheap. I've got a CobbAP for sale now, cheapest of the bunch! hint..hint..
Old 03-20-2010, 05:17 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would eliminate all options and go Fast intentions Catback all the way!!! Forget stillen Cobb !!! Besides Fast Intentions has Long Tube Headers... As for intakes just do a simple 50$ HKS drop in filter mod and save your money!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:20 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would eliminate all options and go Fast intentions Catback all the way!!! Forget stillen Cobb !!! Besides Fast Intentions has Long Tube Headers... As for intakes just do a simple 50$ HKS drop in filter mod and save your money!!! To Install filters it takes 2 min , exhaust cost $150 roughly, and Long Tubr headers is much better than stillen and will cost at least 4-500 to install but with long tubes and fullcatback I can tell you this will be best power upgrade for sure just call Tony@fast intentions.com
Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
mikelr

Mark,
To answer one of your earlier questions...no, you cant add together the hp gains from each mod claimed by the manufacturer. Once the mod that offeres the greatest gain is installed you are definetly faced with deminishing returns to follow.
Unless you want to turn your luxury sport GT coupe into a droning look at me you dumb cop buzz bomb stay away from the long tubes and the FI exhaust. Not to say that they arent great products that are really high quality pieces but the volume isnt to everyones taste and also the long tubes delete the cats which might get you into some trouble come inspection time.
I would suggest a set of high flow cats from FI or Berk (both are good), this mod alone will gain you some power that you can feel and a volume increase that is on parr with some cat back exhaust systems. You can add a cat back exhaust that suits your taste at anytime after that but you'd be surprized at the sound of just a set of HFCs.
The grounding kit from Black Betty would be a good supporting mod in your case considering you have an AT, there have been many reports of better shifting after the kit has been installed. Obviously since you have an auto you dont need the ACT clutch kit you mentioned and if you dont plan on tracking your car you really dont need any additional coolers installed.
I think it would help those of use that are attempting to direct you in the right direction with the mods on your car if you were to tell us a little bit about what you want out of it and how you intend to use it.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 AM
mark5825

thanks for all the help guys, i would say my first priority is getting speed and acceleration out of the car, even though i will not be racing with it i just like the feeling of accelerating fast. the sound i am looking for is the "as loud as possible" im aiming for a deeper more distinguishing type of sound, trying to stay away from sounding like a ricer as much as possible. i would also rather not take any chances with getting in trouble with inspections, im going to have some great questions when i take it to a shop and talking to the guys there will be the best idea, i just want to wait until i actually have the car so they take me seriously. thanks again for all the input, keep it coming!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:43 AM
mark5825

i also dont like to buy any used parts, thanks for the offer but im just the type of person that wants warranties and someone to complain at when anything goes wrong lol
Old 03-20-2010, 11:44 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
if youre considering an intake then stillen gen3 ftw! it looks, sounds, and performs great
Old 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
mikelr

Originally Posted by mark5825
i also dont like to buy any used parts, thanks for the offer but im just the type of person that wants warranties and someone to complain at when anything goes wrong lol
Mark,
Don't think that just because a part like say a Cobb AccessPort is used it is in anyway "wore out" or prone to issues that will require warranty repair. These things either work or they dont and I'm sure if you had a problem Cobb would assist you with their product. I'm not saying this so you might want to buy my used sh^t , buy someone elses... I just dont want to see a fello G owner waste money that could be better spent on more mods.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:10 PM
mark5825

il consider it, i see online it sells for $500 on the stillen website i havent checked other, so what exactly does the access port do? i guess its a "chip" that can help get better fuel millage, i see it tells you 0-60 and all that which i like, but does it actually change the settings on your car or does it just tell you what to change on the setting? i guess im asking why did you buy it, what did you use it for, and if it stills work why are you selling it?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM
xlack
Registered Member

u can't just add the +HP together like that.. say +10 from intakes, +15 from exhaust, you won't get 10+15=+25HP.. it juz doesn't sum up like that.. adding more mods only gives u diminishing values.

also if ure considering intakes and ur main concern is +HP then juz do a HKS drop-in filter. Most people simply go for intakes for the looks and sound.

but if u really want an aftermarket intake, stillen gen3 produces the most power. I would get it used and save a couple hundreds
Old 03-20-2010, 05:45 PM
mikelr

Originally Posted by mark5825
il consider it, i see online it sells for $500 on the stillen website i havent checked other, so what exactly does the access port do? i guess its a "chip" that can help get better fuel millage, i see it tells you 0-60 and all that which i like, but does it actually change the settings on your car or does it just tell you what to change on the setting? i guess im asking why did you buy it, what did you use it for, and if it stills work why are you selling it?

The Cobb AccessPort re-flashes your ecu with performance settings to match different performance mods. Currently I think there are 3 stages plus a valet mode. The first two stages can be done on a stock car, the third stage which is a bit more fuel and timing requires the use of aftermarket high flow intake and high flow cats.
I bought it to get the most out of my mods and it did perform. I am currently waiting on a GTM supercharger kit which should be here in the next few weeks. The GTM kit comes with software to reflash the ecu for the supercharger so i cant use the Cobb anymore. I'm selling it since I dont need it and would like to recoupe some of the $5000 I spent on the GTM kit.

cobb . infiniti G-Series accessport . map listing

This link shows available maps for the CobbAP along with claimed hp increases.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 PM
mark5825

thanks for the info, are there any products that anyone recommends over the Cobb Access Port, sounds like it does a lot to me? according to that link "Stage2+ is intended for vehicles with cat-back exhaust, headers, high flow catalysts or race pipes, and aftermarket intakes." & Stage2 (+11.0% HP/+5.7% lb-ft.) pretty impressive results

Quick Reply: Help Adding Intake, Exhaust, Headers, ect.