Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My coupe got a bypass!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this mod does serve a purpose. It changes the sound / loudness of the exhaust and it's also an inexpensive mod. I actually think it sounds pretty damn good, and that's coming from somebody who HATES a raspy setup. There's a lot more point to this mod then putting on aftermarket rear diffusers and mounting carbon fiber spoilers / overlays with double sided tape along with a handful of other mods out there.

Greg, keep doing what you're doing I'm enjoying the creativity!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanMardik
Thanks for posting the video. This is louder than I expected.. Hmm
it is cause the camera was mounted right next to the exhaust. Remarkable there is no cabin noise almost at all even at the high rpms. If you have some good headphones listen to how it dropped at idle. Way lower than stock.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Staples
I think this mod does serve a purpose. It changes the sound / loudness of the exhaust and it's also an inexpensive mod. I actually think it sounds pretty damn good, and that's coming from somebody who HATES a raspy setup. There's a lot more point to this mod then putting on aftermarket rear diffusers and mounting carbon fiber spoilers / overlays with double sided tape along with a handful of other mods out there.

Greg, keep doing what you're doing I'm enjoying the creativity!
Thank you, if we don't try we don't know. In this particular experiment we've achieved 2 things: 1- no increased cabin noise which especially my wife finds wonderful. 2- a lot of presence in high rpms. The sound in my video is not 100% like the car sounds from a distance. Keep in mind the camera was mounted to close to the exhaust. Frankly I don't know what to do to get a good video of the exhaust in action. The wind distortion is a huge factor. I will try to wrap the camera in some foam to break down the wind maybe.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:56 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Still doesn't sound very good IMO. Maybe try setting up a tripod on the side of the road and driving past the camera at different speeds. Then you don't have to worry about wind noise.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
it is cause the camera was mounted right next to the exhaust.
You drilled a hole in your rear bumper to mount the camera didn't you? haha
Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Still doesn't sound very good IMO. Maybe try setting up a tripod on the side of the road and driving past the camera at different speeds. Then you don't have to worry about wind noise.
I have to find some quiet street. The noise level where my store is located is very high due to the construction nearby. I will setup the tripod with some sort of wind shielding for the camera to cut down the distortion.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by G37Sam
You drilled a hole in your rear bumper to mount the camera didn't you? haha
naturally, how could you even doubt ? Sam, have you tried to use your camera gizmo outside while driving?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Haven't had the time yet to be honest Greg, I will soon enough though
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Greg Lecewicz

another video bypass pipes showing more low tones

Here is the other video showing how much deeper it had dropped in low tones. Put your good headphones onso you can hear it.
YouTube - Infiniti g37 coupe bypass pipes up close
Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know what, it sounds better than I thought it would. Still a little too much rasp for my taste, but it beats the crap out of removing the resonators from the muffler (which I've heard in person and it's raspy as hell).
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Greg Lecewicz

no interior noise with my muffler bypass pipes video

Here is a boring video of the interior sound with the muffler bypass pipes. There is no elevated noise over the factory setup so it is very nice and easy to converse while people on the outside notice your acceleration.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lykjhz32g7o
Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 AM
blueborat

I actually like the tone more than my tanabe (flame suit on).... This actually retains alot of stock exhaust tone which I think is very unique among other V6s. With the tanabe I find it sounds too much like other V6s with exhaust!! Dont get me wrong, the Tanabe makes good sound but I still prefer stock sound but louder. Thanks alot for the vids.... Maybe I would get this done :0
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Dyno results with my Muffler Bypass pipes.

I will be publishing the video and the dyno results of my setup. The dyno was done this morning on a Mustang brand machine. The guy had told me his dyno is the lowest reading machine in the area and the true results should always be in the 10% plus bracket. He had told me the guys with 370z he had tested showed 10-15% less on his machine versus the other readings.
As the general remarks the dyno guy was very impressed with the straight power climb of this car without some major power curves.
Watch for the video as soon as it downloads to my You Tube.
I was trying to search for dyno results of the other members to get some comparison snapshots of the printouts of Mustang dyno tests.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Did you do a "before" dyno on this exact same car without your exhaust bypass mod under the same conditions on the same dyno to see what the actual gains, if any, are? If not then an "after" only dyno is completely useless because you have no basis for real world side by side comparison.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
No before dyno = fail.

Quick Reply: My coupe got a bypass!!!