Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My coupe got a bypass!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
Greg is officially worst than Gigga
Dont forget the purple barney interior guy.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

I am not bashing him at all. I love his 'mods'.

Only thing I would bash are his photoshops.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If you're going to set it on fire please do it now and get it over with. Then go buy yourself a Prius.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
I feel sorry for the guy who's gonna buy it when it's up for sale.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't ban him, he has done nothing wrong...

"Freedom of religion, of speech, of the press, to assemble, and to petition"

or if you're Canadian:

"Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: ... freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication."
Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually do like the way these pipes cover up the holes that were there...

...and you can't have too many pipes on a vehicle I guess

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM
cdso

Greg needs to chime in with some impressions...I'm impressed with his creativity!

I can't imagine that piping has valves. I imagine the exhaust sounds a bit louder under heavy load since some of the flow is going to route through the bypass.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 PM
snaik69

props for having the ***** to be creative Greg...
Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Unlike his poor car, Greg has some rights to peace and not being abused.
Funny.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Greg Lecewicz

My thoughts on the exhaust sound.

Originally Posted by DanMardik
Interesting, so tell us how this works? Is it just a basic analog set up? does it have an electronically controlled valve that toggles the bypass?
As you all know I've been experimenting with the sound of the stock exhaust. This setup is the most girlfriend friendly of them all. The cabin noise is almost non existing as the stock BUT it went down in the low register at idle. The back pressure of this setup is also more correct for your everyday driving. The sound is more exciting in the high register over 3000 rpm. It has a lot of presence when you step on it. I think it is just another alternative to have a terrific sound for the investment of ONE hundred dollars. Again it is easy to revert to the stock for 30 bucks when you want to sell the car as original. The pipes we've used are 1.5 on the outside, the actual connecting hole is about 1 inch. When I first picked up the car after the mod I was kinda disappointed cause I sounded so sweet at idle and I was expecting more presence. I took it to the streets and stepped on it a little [ within the speed limit] and this is when you notice the difference the most. It sounds very refined yet powerful.
My impressions comparing just the 2 holes drilled in the pipes- this was good but the sound was too much in the low-mid register and the sound was affected by the surface of the pavement.
My next step was constructing special clamps to diffuse the exhaust coming from the holes. This had helped to achieve a quite exciting sound, good enough for me and some company is in the process of making the prototype for production. This setup was a very easy DIY ,offering a great alternative to the stock sound yet still too offensive to the ladies but not as loud as any aftermarket exhaust.
Finally my latest idea to do a partial bypass to give your exhaust more freedom: This is for those of you who want to have no cabin noise but want the people on the street notice you car as you pass by giving them that nice growl.
Keep experimenting, it creates the excitement and you learn by mistakes.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
The back pressure of this setup is also more correct for your everyday driving.

Again it is easy to revert to the stock for 30 bucks when you want to sell the car as original.

1. What is the stock back pressure? What are the ideal back pressure levels for a G37? Did you obtain these values from a Nissan design engineer?

2. How can you revert to stock? You have 4 big holes in your exhaust. (Welding a plate over the holes still does not make you stock)
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I'd love to see the R&D done that led him to come up with this design

I can use a fluid flow simulator to demonstrate that that design actually creates higher backpressures
It would have Sam but we are using the bypass pipes of much smaller diameter therefore the bypass acts as a relief valve to direct the extra congested gas traffic thru. It is automatic in a sense without being mechanical. The main muffler still works the same way permitting just the amount of gas it was designed to permit at a certain pressure. It is only at higher pressures the gas flows by the way of a lesser resistance. Especially cause the joints are at almost 90 degrees therefore not picking up the gas as the Y pipe would have done. I think it would be quite easy to measure the flow at certain rpms with some wind speed meters. It would be necessary to put a valve in the bypass pipe to see the difference but it is too much work for me to devote to this project. My main concern was the sound and how to achieve a result of a quiet cabin with some extra VROOM outside the car.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by raul0434
Looks like the plumbing in my house.

Yes Raul, it is exactly the same in principle. Imagine the water flowing the opposite direction into your house coming in first thru the big pipe and getting into your sinks. If one of your sinks would have been partially filled with watter therefore creating a resistance not permitting any more watter to flow into it, the other pipe leading into the other sink would have taken over the watter flow. And this is basically the idea.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
You have seriously got to be fucking kidding me. Please please sell your car, just for the cars sake. This is just wrong.
Why is it wrong in your opinion?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
1. What is the stock back pressure? What are the ideal back pressure levels for a G37? Did you obtain these values from a Nissan design engineer?

2. How can you revert to stock? You have 4 big holes in your exhaust. (Welding a plate over the holes still does not make you stock)
So what are the factory back pressure readings with the stock exhaust? Anybody elaborate?
What are the back pressure readings with any brand aftermarket exhaust? Does anybody know?
Yes, welding 4 pieces of metal to your muffler would bring it to exactly stock option. If you want to be religious, buy the new muffler if your mechanic can't weld it up.

Quick Reply: My coupe got a bypass!!!