Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

decibel level inside your car science project!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Your best way to compare and eliminate most of the variables would be to have it rev in Neutral, say fix the revs at 4k rpm and have someone measure dB at 1, 3 and 7 meters away from the car.

Other than that you're wasting your time
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still a waste of time. No one doubts that holes in your exhaust will make it louder.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
Would you state the brand of your exhaust and post the decibel level check at IDLE, HARD ACCELERATION and CRUISE SPEED[ 75mph ]. Also post the MAX decibel level recorded in your car. You may want to elaborate on the decibel level changes with some other components but try to be right on the money and be as precise as possible. It will vary on some different surfaces but maybe take 3 measurements, add them up, divide by three to get an average in each category. This will give us a point of view which exhaust is the most quiet and the loudest. If you don't have access to a decibel meter download an application for yours or your friends Iphone.
Originally Posted by Mike
The road surface alone would have a variance of at least 30 dB with one car.

Tires "hum", and are tuned for noise. Lou can tell you. Invo vs NT05 anyone? MASSIVE difference.

As for idle, even an open header wouldn't be super loud at idle. Louder than your typical exhaust? yes. Excessive on a production street car? no.

The only way to get consistent results is to eliminate the variables. E.g. All tested on the same car, similar weather, same tires (and level of wear on tires)
The topic is as stated above: What is the noise level in your cars. Kinda like what millage do you get etc. I drive around with the decibel meter on and I've noticed the noise level when travelling at a certain speed NEVER fluctuates as much as you say it does. It is one of the factors conducting a car revue to monitor the cabin noise level. I don't think arguing about the variables of the test is that very important. The decibel meter is a simple device anybody can use, place it in the center console drink holder, have your friend monitor the readings while you drive and record it for comparison with others.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Still a waste of time. No one doubts that holes in your exhaust will make it louder.
please check the topic of the original post and elaborate on it if you'd like.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Your best way to compare and eliminate most of the variables would be to have it rev in Neutral, say fix the revs at 4k rpm and have someone measure dB at 1, 3 and 7 meters away from the car.

Other than that you're wasting your time
It has to be done inside the car. My topic is inside sound level. I think you are right Sam, to check the levels at these rpm's thous eliminating the rod condition sound distortion.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by pfizzle
If I have a drilled hole in the floor board will that count?
haha, it should be called a " **** hole " to redirect the urine stream when we get too excited driving the G. We need a special fennel with straps etc.!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by g37RN
Greg. Why do care about this? You just made holes in your exhaust and if there is an exhaust to your liking. Will you spend the money to buy it. You just went against your own dam word of not spending money. Not to mention you trashed the stock exhaust
Totally off topic response please read the topic and relate to it if you wish, peace, Greg
Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Greg, I hope you've learned by now that arguing with these guys is pointless. They are always right...

Fact is, you have a good idea but you would have to include a bunch of caveats or segregate the measured parameters.

I bought a decent SPL meter for a little over a hundred bucks to measure the different exhausts I have for my truck. It is not a simple tool. I have a notebook so I can keep track of what readings I get with what settings. I can get the thing to read just about any number you want by adjusting the settings.