Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.

This are the plugs found on the sides of the filter boxes. Remove them.This is roughly the location of each plug. This shows a hole after the plug was taken out.The other take .Then we marked the tops of the filter cradles.We drilled the holes.[IMG][/IMG]We used this tool.We inserted the grommets. To have this result.Another picture of the finished install.And the other side.I don't think the airflow to the filters is restricted now since we had tripled the total size of the openings to the boxes. We will install some high temperature shields between the OEM intakes and the engine. Pictures to come in the next thread.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Some other links with better pics.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...hed-cradle.jpghttps://www.myg37.com/forums/members...te-install.jpghttps://www.myg37.com/forums/members...tall-right.jpg
Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
This are the plugs found on the sides of the filter boxes. Remove them.This is roughly the location of each plug. This shows a hole after the plug was taken out.The other take .Then we marked the tops of the filter cradles.We drilled the holes.[IMG][/IMG]We used this tool.We inserted the grommets. To have this result.Another picture of the finished install.And the other side.I don't think the airflow to the filters is restricted now since we had tripled the total size of the openings to the boxes. We will install some high temperature shields between the OEM intakes and the engine. Pictures to come in the next thread.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 AM
g37RN

why would you go to all that trouble to destroy the stock intake box. when you can just buy a CAI and save the stock air box. you can always sell the CAI later, but it's not that easy or nice to fix a hole.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Stems

Good DIY, but please get larger pics!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by g37RN
why would you go to all that trouble to destroy the stock intake box. when you can just buy a CAI and save the stock air box. you can always sell the CAI later, but it's not that easy or nice to fix a hole.
You are correct. This is why only the filter frame was drilled, easy to replace for 15 bucks if you make a mistake. The side plug is removable so you can reinsert it.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Stems
Good DIY, but please get larger pics!
Yes, I had some problems uploading the normal pictures so I had made them smaller. Regular size coming in.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Greg Lecewicz

bigger pictures here

Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Legibility of your posts isn't your strong suit Greg.

Did you do a before and after dyno on this. Good for 22 HP and 18 TQ?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe cut some holes on the bottom of the intake box and run some brake cooling hoses to direct cool air.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Damnit BB you beat me to it.

Dyno and then sticky!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Legibility of your posts isn't your strong suit Greg.

Did you do a before and after dyno on this. Good for 22 HP and 18 TQ?
Yes I do take a blame yet partially. When you guys[staff] move my posts to a proper spot it looses the pics. The rest of deficiencies I am responsible for but I will get better. The first dyno test had showed 10-12hp gain but we are going to do the same day test and publish the results. I think with the heat shields we will be able to obtain exactly the same dyno as with the CAI published[ superbly] by UCLA BRUIN whom I regard very highly.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes I do take a blame yet partially. When you guys[staff] move my posts to a proper spot it looses the pics. The rest of deficiencies I am responsible for but I will get better. The first dyno test had showed 10-12hp gain but we are going to do the same day test and publish the results. I think with the heat shields we will be able to obtain exactly the same dyno as with the CAI published[ superbly] by UCLA BRUIN whom I regard very highly.
Holy horsepower Batman! This is definitely gonna be my next mod! I'm gonna put 4 holes in the frame, that way i can get 20rwhp gain for sure!! hahaha
Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Maybe cut some holes on the bottom of the intake box and run some brake cooling hoses to direct cool air.
I am thinking about it but my agenda now is to create a situation retaining as many OEM parts and show a significant HP gain for almost no money invested. By significant I mean 5 or more HP.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I've got to call on that Greg. When you make a screwed up post, it's screwed up. Nobody changed any content in your post, or else it would say edited by _____ if a staff member had edited it. Not to mention if you took the time to post it in the right place in the first place, it wouldn't need to be moved.

Here's a tip or two for a DIY:

• Write it out step by step so that others can read, follow, and understand it. We cant read your twisted mind. Insert photos for each step. Make sure the photos easily show what you want us to see, and that they're right side up. Make sure they're bigger than a thumbnail so we can see details.

• Then move on to the next step and the next photo. Mix in an enter key every so often so that each step is separated, not in narrative form all in one line broken up badly by inserted photos within the text.

• No need to quote yourself like I've seen in so many posts of yours. I haven't a clue what that's all about. Feel free to copy/paste things if you need to.

Keep them coming. I find your posts quite entertaining and I think a lot of others do too.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
You guys sure are quick to hate.

Quick Reply: Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.