Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sorry but this is getting crazy. Please put the drill down and walk away from the G37.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.vararam.com/images/tech/hbettes_email01.jpg[IMG]http://www.vararam.com/images/tech/hbettes_email01.jpg[/IMG]
Originally Posted by ProTan
Do a google search. The airboxes acutallly work at speed to help generate a ram air effect. They make an additional 3 hp while in motion. This was first introduced on the HR motor and carried over into the 3.7 It cannot be published since the car must be on the open road. Opening the airbox negates this by causing a low pressure situation that will actually drive the air out.
Yes I am familiar with this issue from my hot-rod times. I've looked into the G37 situation and I did not find any configuration of the intake pipes to be RAM friendly. In my opinion they are just narrow air supply pipes hidden behind the front cover, not subjected to any force of air at speed. UCLA BRUIN had suggested installing the brake cooling ducts to help lowering the rotor temp and at the same time RAM force some air into the boxes. Look at your car and tell me what you think, peace, Greg

Last edited by Greg Lecewicz; 02-19-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProTan
Do a google search. The airboxes acutallly work at speed to help generate a ram air effect. They make an additional 3 hp while in motion. This was first introduced on the HR motor and carried over into the 3.7 It cannot be published since the car must be on the open road. Opening the airbox negates this by causing a low pressure situation that will actually drive the air out.

If that is true (which I have my doubts) then he possibly opened up the door for more air at lower speeds or off the line.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM
ProTan

I dont think so, you see the sealed air box directs the air into the plenum which is also sealed. By opening up the air box you are creating turbulance and also allowing air to escape once you get up to speed. The ram air really shows some benefit at higher speeds..
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
This is all we need. Now, if I can only get my hands on it!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

That doesn't make you go any faster. It just makes time travel possible.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

bottom line is do not drill into ur intake and for that matter do not drill in ur exhaust.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by GT35R
bottom line is do not drill into ur intake and for that matter do not drill in ur exhaust.
Exactly. Drilling holes in things isn't going to really improve on what the engineers designed to be reliable and produce respectable power. Reading these articles made my cringe, especially doing it to a semi-expensive car like the G. I guess I can appreciate the attempt, but you spent good money on the car, if you want to mod, do your research and buy good engineered parts.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I think your both wrong.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Adam West
Exactly. Drilling holes in things isn't going to really improve on what the engineers designed to be reliable and produce respectable power. Reading these articles made my cringe, especially doing it to a semi-expensive car like the G. I guess I can appreciate the attempt, but you spent good money on the car, if you want to mod, do your research and buy good engineered parts.
Yes!!! Adam you are absolutely right! This is how I do my research and I will buy parts which make sense to buy. In a case of the muffler you don't have to spend extra 1000 bucks to get a little more aggressive sound, just drill the 3/4 inch holes where I showed you. By doing so you do not make your car less reliable. You are simply TUNING the car to your liking. Isn't it what we do here: TUNING? I do not deny the benefits of an opened exhaust with the turbo mods thou. To ease your cringe Adam, it is easy to revert to the stock option by simply covering the openings in the muffler pipes, not a big deal. It's NOT like I drill holes into any vital systems of the car, it is my baby too don't forget. P.S. Watch for some more drilling coming up soon if you are not faint at heart ! Greetings from Sarasota, Greg.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by nogoodname
Interesting...
just kidding, the cartoon had me brain-washed.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Jakex1

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
Yes!!! Adam you are absolutely right! This is how I do my research and I will buy parts which make sense to buy. In a case of the muffler you don't have to spend extra 1000 bucks to get a little more aggressive sound, just drill the 3/4 inch holes where I showed you. By doing so you do not make your car less reliable. You are simply TUNING the car to your liking. Isn't it what we do here: TUNING? I do not deny the benefits of an opened exhaust with the turbo mods thou. To ease your cringe Adam, it is easy to revert to the stock option by simply covering the openings in the muffler pipes, not a big deal. It's NOT like I drill holes into any vital systems of the car, it is my baby too don't forget. P.S. Watch for some more drilling coming up soon if you are not faint at heart ! Greetings from Sarasota, Greg.
or you can put washers in the flanges... if you are doing this for sound, etc i dont care. But you are foolish to think that these will give you any performance gains.

Wanna know who drills holes in their mufflers? ricers at honda-tech
Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Jakex1
or you can put washers in the flanges... if you are doing this for sound, etc i dont care. But you are foolish to think that these will give you any performance gains.

Wanna know who drills holes in their mufflers? ricers at honda-tech
RICERS at Honda-Tech!!!! Them rascals do it too? I'll get them copy cats and teach them some respect! I'll show them no-good-cheapos what time it is!
Wait maybe you said: Racers of Honda Team?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Dr. Peter Venkman: Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head. Remember that?
Dr. Egon Spengler: That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Adam West
Dr. Peter Venkman: Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head. Remember that?
Dr. Egon Spengler: That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.
hahaha Adam, it is funny! But to stay close to the topic it is necessary to examine the evidence[ the boxes] and figure out what to do to make'em perform better without spending the money first and analyze things before castrating out the whole factory intake system. I just made some gizmos I will attach to the boxes to make them sound better using the original parts made out of the resonators found in the sedan. Watch for the post soon.

Quick Reply: Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.