Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 PM
g37RN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg you should just holes in your entire car. Then you'll have a $40,000 Swiss cheese. Hope at least use an 18 volt Dewalt
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProTan
Wow so you mean you opened the motor, added a cam and put on new heads? How the heck does is that a bolt on????????? Im sorry I guess you and I have a different idea of bolt ons...... So to you and your daddys Dodge..

How does that relate to a VQ and also your talking a V8? So you like to compare apples to tuna fish? well then i will make a few more comments than i am done, i will save my knowledge for my own personal gain and not share with the community since I obviously do not understand that adding a cam and new heads is now considered a bolt on.

You would boost a smaller displacement motor to get the horsepower you cant have due to the smaller displacement. Have you ever heard the term "there is no replacement for displacement"? The VQ is getting 330 crank horse power. The SRT8 only makes 425 I think with 6.1 liters of displacement. That's nearly twice the size and those motors do well with a new head and cams since it's pushrod style V8.

Trying to compare a high compression low displacement v6 against a 6.1 liter low revving V8????????

The G has makes only 95 less HP with with a motor almost half the displacement.... Nissan is already squeezing nearly every ounce of HP out of the VQ. There is just only so much more we can get her to pump out.. Now on the other hand the 6.1 has head room but still can only go so far since the ring lands on the Hemi 6.1 are paper thin and that's where you have problems. You can barely get to 600hp before you need new half shafts and a complete forged short block not to mentions a beefier tranny. We already know that we can make nearly 500hp reliably on the 3.7 VQ all day.... So my point tit for tat to really make any power on the srt 8 you need a new short block and tranny....

Good luck to you and your Dad
I don't need your luck but thanks anyway. My daddy has 4 boosted cars in his stable right now as well as a few n/a, I'll ask him if he wants any of your luck and get back with you.

I never said heads and cam were bolt-on's so don't put words in my mouth. I was just pointing out that there is room for improvement with n/a engines and that applies to all engines. You are correct in that these VQ's from the factory are closer to their peak starting out but they are not topped out yet. You said you can not make any significant gains without going FI and I think you should define "significant". If you can get 30hp, that's 10%. 10% is a huge gain in my mind. And if anyone is ever able to crack the variable valve timing, I think there is even more gains to be made.

A guy that knows his VQ's and his Hemi's... I want to buy you a beer and talk shop.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 PM
ProTan

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I don't need your luck but thanks anyway. My daddy has 4 boosted cars in his stable right now as well as a few n/a, I'll ask him if he wants any of your luck and get back with you.

I never said heads and cam were bolt-on's so don't put words in my mouth. I was just pointing out that there is room for improvement with n/a engines and that applies to all engines. You are correct in that these VQ's from the factory are closer to their peak starting out but they are not topped out yet. You said you can not make any significant gains without going FI and I think you should define "significant". If you can get 30hp, that's 10%. 10% is a huge gain in my mind. And if anyone is ever able to crack the variable valve timing, I think there is even more gains to be made.

A guy that knows his VQ's and his Hemi's... I want to buy you a beer and talk shop.

FYI my references were aimed at the VQ and other similar designed high compression V6 motors. I have had my share of cars in my stable and tend to be a car addict.. I seem to have cracked it as I am only down to two cars now.. I like an ice cold Corona... so bring a 12 pack....

Hemi's and Chevy small blocks I will always have a soft spot for, I recently saw a GM ecotec make 480 Wheel HP in a pontiac solstice of course this was with some serious boost.. What a tough little motor that ecotec is....
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ProTan
FYI my references were aimed at the VQ and other similar designed high compression V6 motors. I have had my share of cars in my stable and tend to be a car addict.. I seem to have cracked it as I am only down to two cars now.. I like an ice cold Corona... so bring a 12 pack....

Hemi's and Chevy small blocks I will always have a soft spot for, I recently saw a GM ecotec make 480 Wheel HP in a pontiac solstice of course this was with some serious boost.. What a tough little motor that ecotec is....
You're going to need to pm your location so I know to look you up next time I'm near you.

Chevy small block? LS type or old school? I have high hopes of a boosted LSX in my future.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To say that the engineers planned out an adequate intake to begin with is giving them way too much credit. They have a lot more variables like noise and emmisions and cost to take into consideration.
take noise into consideration? i don't think they really had that kept in mind when they designed this car...as for emissions, that's all easily controlled with some ecu tuning....costs...that little bit of plastic isn't gonna cost them that much more to develop this car...and let's say it does cost $50 to add a little bit of plastic here and there, i'm sure they can either 1) take it out of somewhere else...or 2) add it to the msrp!

this statement could be true for other lower end model vehicles, but the G is almost considered one of Nissan/Infiniti's higher end sports model....they might consider cost savings on a Sentra or Cube...but not a Skyline
Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Yes noise. Many cars have elaborate intake setups so they are quiet. There are a lot of cars and trucks out there that have a muffler system which can be removed to increase air flow. The 5.0 Mustangs were a perfect example. My 96' 5.9L Ram is another. Noise cancellation is very much built into every car and it's at the cost of air flow.

And adding the price of parts to the consumers bill or taking the cost out somewhere else is the game they constantly play. Even a $5 part costs the company millions.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:40 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes noise. Many cars have elaborate intake setups so they are quiet. There are a lot of cars and trucks out there that have a muffler system which can be removed to increase air flow. The 5.0 Mustangs were a perfect example. My 96' 5.9L Ram is another. Noise cancellation is very much built into every car and it's at the cost of air flow.

And adding the price of parts to the consumers bill or taking the cost out somewhere else is the game they constantly play. Even a $5 part costs the company millions.
Yes, even the corvette has a variable butterfly valve inside the muffler to allow more airflow, etc etc...i'm quite aware of this system....

and yes, a $5 part could cost the company $5million...but when everyone pays their share of the $5 part...no one would even know since it's such a small number compared to the full value of the vehicle...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I'm talking about the intake muffler system not the exhaust. And there are thousands of parts on the car where engineers would like to spend just $5 more.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 AM
ProTan

You're going to need to pm your location so I know to look you up next time I'm near you.

Chevy small block? LS type or old school? I have high hopes of a boosted LSX in my future.

GM Performance Parts | LS1 Overview

This is all I need to make me happy! Add a hot cam, some heads and a headers and 400 WHP al day with that awesome SMall block sound.. I want to put one in my Z32 terribly!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by g37RN
Greg you should just holes in your entire car. Then you'll have a $40,000 Swiss cheese. Hope at least use an 18 volt Dewalt
haha, yes, Swiss cheese coming up soon with Dewalt inflicted aero-openings!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by nogoodname
still think the exhaust restriction is at the headers and catalytic converters.
Drill some holes in that and you'll get some gains!
sorry i don't take any advice from canadians, you guys are strange!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by bsowhat1
IIRC Nissan designed the airboxes for a ram air effect worth 3 hp at speed. Drilling holes in the airboxes will negate this effect.
ELABORATE ON THIS PLEASE, interesting!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Greg Lecewicz

good point cause the noise level has to be low to please a wide range of buyers. It is like food, you can add some salt and pepper later.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 PM
ProTan

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz

ELABORATE ON THIS PLEASE, interesting!

Do a google search. The airboxes acutallly work at speed to help generate a ram air effect. They make an additional 3 hp while in motion. This was first introduced on the HR motor and carried over into the 3.7 It cannot be published since the car must be on the open road. Opening the airbox negates this by causing a low pressure situation that will actually drive the air out.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
sorry i don't take any advice from canadians, you guys are strange!!!
Interesting...

Quick Reply: Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.