Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the real purpose for the removable plugs in the filter boxes?

Originally Posted by gtracing
well if u really wanna get technical, your engine can only suck as much air as the intake system allows it to....which is all restricted by your intake manifold, throttle bodies, your post MAF pipes, etc etc...i'm sure nissan did their research when they created this airbox and determined an optimal air hole size to allow 100% flow which inturn is all restricted by how much air ur combustion chambers can hold....by drilling extra holes to bring in more air....yes, there's more ways for the air to get into ur intakes, and yes, it might be slightly less restrictive....but the volume of air ur intaking has not increased due to the rest of the restrictive intake system....which means your car won't increase hp....

as for cai/sri's, the intake diameter has increased with less resistance in the post MAF pipes....majority of the restrictions have been removed from the intake system...therefore u'll see a slight increase in hp....and even with a system that replaces 50% of ur intake system, it only adds a few hp!

therefore, unless u find a way to enlarge the diameter of ur intake system, u won't be seeing any hp/tq numbers increase....
oh no! you mean they are just decorative little holes? But seriously, what are the factory removable side plugs in the boxes for?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 AM
g37RN

do you sleep with your drill under your pillow and start drilling into things that you dream of. just having fun Greg. can't wait to see your dyno. P.S. don't forget to drill your rotors
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
oh no! you mean they are just decorative little holes? But seriously, what are the factory removable side plugs in the boxes for?
good question, no idea...but i'll let you know when i do find out..
Old 02-18-2010, 01:12 PM
ProTan

Maybe I am missing something.. When does forcing more ambient air into an engine mean it increases horsepower? NA cars especially the Nissan VQ series has undergone many changes in its evolution. You can see the progress easily by looking back at the previous 2003 350z, to the rev up, to the HR and now the Vq37. One thing is they were constantly improving the responsiveness of the motor, hence dual intake tract...

Now NA motors make the power they make, and really with the extent of 15 HP here or there that’s all you can do. These cars are designed to be fast and reliable. You can put an intake on here, a test pipe here, or drill a freaking hole in your exhaust. At the end of the day you are only undoing what the engineers have already tested. Yes I do have HFC's and an UpRev tune. I gained about 22 HP. That’s about the max you can see without breaking open the motor on any NA car with the exception of a Chevy small block V8. We all know that due to emissions requirements the biggest bottle neck are stock cats and maybe exhaust, although the Stock Nissan exhaust is very free flowing.

My point is if you understand the mechanics of an engine you realize that more air is not necessarily what adds HP, it's more dense compressed air (aka Turbo, Supercharger).

To think that you can make significant gains from drilling a hole here and there is kind of ludicrous given that so many factors affect Horsepower. Elevation, temperature, Ecu parameters, Dyno specs, tires sizes and the list goes on.

My point is simple if you want to throw on an intake have fun, exhaust go for it, but it's all in fun and none of us really think we are going to get any real significant HP increases unless you go the FI route...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
i'm sure nissan did their research when they created this airbox and determined an optimal air hole size to allow 100% flow which inturn is all restricted by how much air ur combustion chambers can hold....
To say that the engineers planned out an adequate intake to begin with is giving them way too much credit. They have a lot more variables like noise and emmisions and cost to take into consideration.

Originally Posted by ProTan
My point is simple if you want to throw on an intake have fun, exhaust go for it, but it's all in fun and none of us really think we are going to get any real significant HP increases unless you go the FI route...
So the VQ can't make any real power unless it's boosted? And all the exhausts and intakes are out there for "fun"?

Has anyone looked at the stock air boxes? If I remember correctly, there is a very small opening leading into the box on the unfiltered side. I was amazed at how small the opening was. This is a good mod.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 PM
pfizzle

Have you tried drilling holes in your gas tank to save weight?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM
ProTan

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
To say that the engineers planned out an adequate intake to begin with is giving them way too much credit. They have a lot more variables like noise and emmisions and cost to take into consideration.

So the VQ can't make any real power unless it's boosted? And all the exhausts and intakes are out there for "fun"?

Has anyone looked at the stock air boxes? If I remember correctly, there is a very small opening leading into the box on the unfiltered side. I was amazed at how small the opening was. This is a good mod.

Funny the GTR runs nearly the same exact Airbox with two snails and is one of the fastest cars out of the box right now... Engines are built around there components like building blocks. To say adding holes to an airbox is a good mod is like saying you glued some fake **** on your girfriend and now shes hot...(not necessarily your girlfriend lets say mine)

You sir are correct. You cannot make real power gains without going FI route. Yes the exhausts and intakes add marginal HP gains and are more for looks and sound. As proof show me a car that has made significant gains by adding an exhaust or intake. Now granted it may show a 10-15 HP increase, maybe even 20, but dynos can vary from run to run even back to back. And 10-15 imho is still within the margin of error on a machine. Show me some real gains ie dyno 250whp stock and 300 with exhaust and intake and not one single variable. Show me 280whp stock and 330whp with exhaust intake etc. The bottom line and I hope someone chimes in to support me here, is that NA cars can add some power with some breather mods but to really get the HP up there you need dense compressed air... turbo or supercharger.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Real gains are what you get out of let’s take another Nissan.. Hmmm Z32tt. Many guys run 220 to the wheels stock add intake, exhaust, boost controller and you are at 350whp.. Those are gains real noticeable measurable gains. Convince yourself that all the aftermarket manufacturers are not out to make money on $1300 exhausts and $600 intakes...They sound nice and they look good, but they don’t offer $1300 worth of increased performance over stock... I proved that at HP logic. I replaced the one item that is the most restrictive the stock cats with HFC'S got a slight tune with uprev and went from 265 stock to 285 on a mustang dyno. Another forum member had intake $500 exhaust $1200 and 245whp on the same dyno.... So why is my car so much stronger who knows same dyno, same technician same facility... only variable was the car... so if I add an exhaust and intake I would not see any more measurable gains for my $1500 spent. 285 +10% for a dyno jet means Im at 313whp... seems like a lot to me... Frankly that where it ends to make any measurable inprovement its turbo time.. But thats not why I bouth this car, if I wanted a turbo car I would buy one, instead I bought a G37 and I am happy as a clam...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by g37RN
do you sleep with your drill under your pillow and start drilling into things that you dream of. just having fun Greg. can't wait to see your dyno. P.S. don't forget to drill your rotors
I don't sleep but if I would, yes a trusty Dewalt would be a natural under pillow choice. Check out my drilled muffler pipes:YouTube - Drilled muffler pipes Infiniti G37s coupe
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by pfizzle
Have you tried drilling holes in your gas tank to save weight?
My father tried it, once. It worked, he lost 100% of his body mass. NOT!!!!
Check this out:YouTube - Drilled muffler pipes Infiniti G37s coupe
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Greg Lecewicz

and this is exactly my point, thank you.
Originally Posted by protan
funny the gtr runs nearly the same exact airbox with two snails and is one of the fastest cars out of the box right now... Engines are built around there components like building blocks. To say adding holes to an airbox is a good mod is like saying you glued some fake **** on your girfriend and now shes hot...(not necessarily your girlfriend lets say mine)

you sir are correct. You cannot make real power gains without going fi route. Yes the exhausts and intakes add marginal hp gains and are more for looks and sound. As proof show me a car that has made significant gains by adding an exhaust or intake. Now granted it may show a 10-15 hp increase, maybe even 20, but dynos can vary from run to run even back to back. And 10-15 imho is still within the margin of error on a machine. Show me some real gains ie dyno 250whp stock and 300 with exhaust and intake and not one single variable. Show me 280whp stock and 330whp with exhaust intake etc. The bottom line and i hope someone chimes in to support me here, is that na cars can add some power with some breather mods but to really get the hp up there you need dense compressed air... Turbo or supercharger.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
real gains are what you get out of let’s take another nissan.. Hmmm z32tt. Many guys run 220 to the wheels stock add intake, exhaust, boost controller and you are at 350whp.. Those are gains real noticeable measurable gains. Convince yourself that all the aftermarket manufacturers are not out to make money on $1300 exhausts and $600 intakes...they sound nice and they look good, but they don’t offer $1300 worth of increased performance over stock... I proved that at hp logic. I replaced the one item that is the most restrictive the stock cats with hfc's got a slight tune with uprev and went from 265 stock to 285 on a mustang dyno. Another forum member had intake $500 exhaust $1200 and 245whp on the same dyno.... So why is my car so much stronger who knows same dyno, same technician same facility... Only variable was the car... So if i add an exhaust and intake i would not see any more measurable gains for my $1500 spent. 285 +10% for a dyno jet means im at 313whp... Seems like a lot to me... Frankly that where it ends to make any measurable inprovement its turbo time.. But thats not why i bouth this car, if i wanted a turbo car i would buy one, instead i bought a g37 and i am happy as a clam...
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProTan
Funny the GTR runs nearly the same exact Airbox with two snails and is one of the fastest cars out of the box right now... Engines are built around there components like building blocks. To say adding holes to an airbox is a good mod is like saying you glued some fake **** on your girfriend and now shes hot...(not necessarily your girlfriend lets say mine)

You sir are correct. You cannot make real power gains without going FI route. Yes the exhausts and intakes add marginal HP gains and are more for looks and sound. As proof show me a car that has made significant gains by adding an exhaust or intake. Now granted it may show a 10-15 HP increase, maybe even 20, but dynos can vary from run to run even back to back. And 10-15 imho is still within the margin of error on a machine. Show me some real gains ie dyno 250whp stock and 300 with exhaust and intake and not one single variable. Show me 280whp stock and 330whp with exhaust intake etc. The bottom line and I hope someone chimes in to support me here, is that NA cars can add some power with some breather mods but to really get the HP up there you need dense compressed air... turbo or supercharger.
fficeffice" /><O></O>
Real gains are what you get out of let’s take another Nissan.. Hmmm Z32tt. Many guys run 220 to the wheels stock add intake, exhaust, boost controller and you are at 350whp.. Those are gains real noticeable measurable gains. Convince yourself that all the aftermarket manufacturers are not out to make money on $1300 exhausts and $600 intakes...They sound nice and they look good, but they don’t offer $1300 worth of increased performance over stock... I proved that at HP logic. I replaced the one item that is the most restrictive the stock cats with HFC'S got a slight tune with uprev and went from 265 stock to 285 on a mustang dyno. Another forum member had intake $500 exhaust $1200 and 245whp on the same dyno.... So why is my car so much stronger who knows same dyno, same technician same facility... only variable was the car... so if I add an exhaust and intake I would not see any more measurable gains for my $1500 spent. 285 +10% for a dyno jet means Im at 313whp... seems like a lot to me... Frankly that where it ends to make any measurable inprovement its turbo time.. But thats not why I bouth this car, if I wanted a turbo car I would buy one, instead I bought a G37 and I am happy as a clam...

I sure wish I would have met you before we did intake, heads, cam, and exhaust on my dads SRT8. Then instead of wasting all that money for a measly 150hp, we could have boosted instead and got almost 160hp for just $6000 more.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:20 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Still think the exhaust restriction is at the headers and catalytic converters.
Drill some holes in that and you'll get some gains!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey do you know giggaplease? You and him could be best friends! (jk gigga)
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
bsowhat1

IIRC Nissan designed the airboxes for a ram air effect worth 3 hp at speed. Drilling holes in the airboxes will negate this effect.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
ProTan

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I sure wish I would have met you before we did intake, heads, cam, and exhaust on my dads SRT8. Then instead of wasting all that money for a measly 150hp, we could have boosted instead and got almost 160hp for just $6000 more.

Wow so you mean you opened the motor, added a cam and put on new heads? How the heck does is that a bolt on????????? Im sorry I guess you and I have a different idea of bolt ons...... So to you and your daddys Dodge..

How does that relate to a VQ and also your talking a V8? So you like to compare apples to tuna fish? well then i will make a few more comments than i am done, i will save my knowledge for my own personal gain and not share with the community since I obviously do not understand that adding a cam and new heads is now considered a bolt on.

You would boost a smaller displacement motor to get the horsepower you cant have due to the smaller displacement. Have you ever heard the term "there is no replacement for displacement"? The VQ is getting 330 crank horse power. The SRT8 only makes 425 I think with 6.1 liters of displacement. That's nearly twice the size and those motors do well with a new head and cams since it's pushrod style V8.

Trying to compare a high compression low displacement v6 against a 6.1 liter low revving V8????????

The G has makes only 95 less HP with with a motor almost half the displacement.... Nissan is already squeezing nearly every ounce of HP out of the VQ. There is just only so much more we can get her to pump out.. Now on the other hand the 6.1 has head room but still can only go so far since the ring lands on the Hemi 6.1 are paper thin and that's where you have problems. You can barely get to 600hp before you need new half shafts and a complete forged short block not to mentions a beefier tranny. We already know that we can make nearly 500hp reliably on the 3.7 VQ all day.... So my point tit for tat to really make any power on the srt 8 you need a new short block and tranny....

Good luck to you and your Dad

Last edited by ProTan; 02-18-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.