Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to worry about air box restricitons why not get better air filters too
Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
how does this "mod" eliminate restriction? I dont get it?

am i missing something?

Last edited by bat6wc; 02-17-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, you're missing something...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Dyno will come...

Last edited by Greg Lecewicz; 02-18-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: wrong place
Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by GT35R
If you are going to worry about air box restricitons why not get better air filters too
YES, K&N on order. You are 100% right!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Greg Lecewicz

partially off topic message from Black Betty to Greg Lecewicz

Originally by Black Betty:"Write it out step by step so that others can read, follow, and understand it. We cant read your twisted mind. Insert photos for each step. Make sure the photos easily show what you want us to see, and that they're right side up. Make sure they're bigger than a thumbnail so we can see details."
HAHAHA, Are you giving me an F in caligraphy? Point taken, thank you. It will get better. I just called my mother about the twisted mind thou, she knows where you live![/quote]
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by bat6wc
how does this "mod" eliminate restriction? I dont get it?

am i missing something?
Theoretically the OEM boxes are considered restrictive, not allowing enough air to be supplied to to engine therefore it is only natural to think the larger opening or a multitude of them would provide more air being sucked in. Unfortunately so far we can't define what is NOT ENOUGH and what is BETTER so we are experimenting trying to come up with a solution to save everybody money while improving the performance.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
Theoretically the OEM boxes are considered restrictive, not allowing enough air to be supplied to to engine therefore it is only natural to think the larger opening or a multitude of them would provide more air being sucked in. Unfortunately so far we can't define what is NOT ENOUGH and what is BETTER so we are experimenting trying to come up with a solution to save everybody money while improving the performance.
I dont understand how heat soaked air coming into the box helps? Why not just get a cone filter ?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
You guys sure are quick to hate.
OH, no hate here whatsoever. I think BB is 99.99% right the rest is only some spicey words but I've heard worse. However my mom says "the twisted mind" term in relation to her son is not very nice. She says
" deviant" is a more polite term.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by GT35R
I dont understand how heat soaked air coming into the box helps? Why not just get a cone filter ?
An experiment in economics. Almost always the biggest bang for the buck wins. If we establish an insignificant difference between the CAI's and the stock boxes with the plugs removed guess who is the winner? The CAI's look so good thou...
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
OH, no hate here whatsoever. I think BB is 99.99% right the rest is only some spicey words but I've heard worse. However my mom says "the twisted mind" term in relation to her son is not very nice. She says
" deviant" is a more polite term.
Take it all in good fun as it's intended. Tell your mom I ssaid "Hi!".
Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well if u really wanna get technical, your engine can only suck as much air as the intake system allows it to....which is all restricted by your intake manifold, throttle bodies, your post MAF pipes, etc etc...i'm sure nissan did their research when they created this airbox and determined an optimal air hole size to allow 100% flow which inturn is all restricted by how much air ur combustion chambers can hold....by drilling extra holes to bring in more air....yes, there's more ways for the air to get into ur intakes, and yes, it might be slightly less restrictive....but the volume of air ur intaking has not increased due to the rest of the restrictive intake system....which means your car won't increase hp....

as for cai/sri's, the intake diameter has increased with less resistance in the post MAF pipes....majority of the restrictions have been removed from the intake system...therefore u'll see a slight increase in hp....and even with a system that replaces 50% of ur intake system, it only adds a few hp!

therefore, unless u find a way to enlarge the diameter of ur intake system, u won't be seeing any hp/tq numbers increase....
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 AM
worldcrafter

gj on the writeup greg, your mod was done in a pretty professional way, with the grommets and all. i've been wanting to modify my stock air box for some time now to get a better growl from the intake at WOT. I want to cut a gigantic rectangular opening in front of the airbox for an added ram air effect while accelerating, while making sure that the filter is still in its proper place, and is doing its job.

I doubt that you're getting any hp gains from this mod (you're now sucking [more?] hot air in from the engine bay at idle/from a stop), but I think this would be a great intake sound modification.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gtracing
well if u really wanna get technical, your engine can only suck as much air as the intake system allows it to....which is all restricted by your intake manifold, throttle bodies, your post MAF pipes, etc etc...i'm sure nissan did their research when they created this airbox and determined an optimal air hole size to allow 100% flow which inturn is all restricted by how much air ur combustion chambers can hold....by drilling extra holes to bring in more air....yes, there's more ways for the air to get into ur intakes, and yes, it might be slightly less restrictive....but the volume of air ur intaking has not increased due to the rest of the restrictive intake system....which means your car won't increase hp....

as for cai/sri's, the intake diameter has increased with less resistance in the post MAF pipes....majority of the restrictions have been removed from the intake system...therefore u'll see a slight increase in hp....and even with a system that replaces 50% of ur intake system, it only adds a few hp!

therefore, unless u find a way to enlarge the diameter of ur intake system, u won't be seeing any hp/tq numbers increase....
Yeah this is why I did not bother with SRI/CAI. Im just gonna get HFC for now and headers later. I order HKS hybrid filters cuz I do feel like keep buying stupid papers fitlers every 5-10k
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by worldcrafter
gj on the writeup greg, your mod was done in a pretty professional way, with the grommets and all. i've been wanting to modify my stock air box for some time now to get a better growl from the intake at WOT. I want to cut a gigantic rectangular opening in front of the airbox for an added ram air effect while accelerating, while making sure that the filter is still in its proper place, and is doing its job.

I doubt that you're getting any hp gains from this mod (you're now sucking [more?] hot air in from the engine bay at idle/from a stop), but I think this would be a great intake sound modification.
We had a dyno showing 10-12hp gain from the first test so I got excited but those things are so inaccurate in a lot of cases. Anyway we are going to have another dyno with the plugs in place and right after with the plugs removed to resolve the issue. I had a hope for the ram effect but the holes are to small. If I find a grommet big enough I will cut a large hole in the box just for the sound.

Quick Reply: Eliminating air restriction in the OEM filter boxes.