Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Butterfly Exhaust Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 AM
daBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Butterfly Exhaust Valve

Hi All,

I have been searching the Forum on this topic but couldn't find what i was looking for.

I have been searching the Internet for a solution for controlling the sound of my exhaust system but only came across this. As i have not heard anyone talk about it, i am in a doubt on whether i should or not try this.

I read the following article:
Browser Warning

Please let me know what you think and if anyone has experienced anythiing similar then i would appreciate any comments you may have.

Thanks
daBlue
Old 02-12-2010, 08:43 AM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just looks like an electronic dump valve. They've been around forever. Its more for race applications to switch b/t muffler and straight pipes.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
daBlue

Well, then is there any other solution? I remember getting into a Holden and it had a button that switched between through pipes and normal exhaust system. Te sound difference was noticeable, and i would like to acheive something like that but without losing on the HP
Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
JLai

Originally Posted by daBlue
I remember getting into a Holden and it had a button that switched between through pipes and normal exhaust system.
That's exactly what an elecronic dump valve does. What are you trying to do? Just make the exhaust sound different via a button?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 PM
daBlue

Well, that is exactly what i want
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
JLai

Well, that is exactly what i want
Then you should get the dump valve. Do a dyno afterwards. Open dump should produce more hp but lose low end.

Last edited by JLai; 02-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
daBlue

i will pm you
Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Just google for "electric exhaust cutouts"
Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
See if your aim is to reduce the exhaust note without hurting performance, you'll need some mufflers and resonators, those valves will hurt especially in the high end.

If you however plan on getting them to bring the exhaust note down when you approach cops etc.. then it might be a good idea actually and I have been considering it for a while, especially after my headers come in.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Dieseldoug22

That valve takes it one step further. Like JLai says you lose bottom end with freer flowing exhaust. This valve works off vacuum so that it closes at low RPM to give you the get-up and go, and then opens at higher RPM for better breathing. Kind of the best of both worlds. Motorcycle manufacturers have started doing this their sport bikes so you get the torque and the HP.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I'm not sure OP is doing this as an HP mod, as this would require some R&D, don't expect to just throw that in, close it down low and start burning rubber.

He just wants a simple mod to control his exhaust note to avoid unwanted attention, correct me if I'm wrong please OP
Old 02-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Dieseldoug22

I understand that. I was saying what I was saying for anybody that is performance minded. This valve is more than OP probably needs. This would be a great addition for people with Test Pipes and a high flow exhaust... performance wise.

But for the OP he should just look up electric cutouts.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
You might research active or removable tail silencers. I think that Apexi makes the active silencers.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 AM
daBlue

Hi All,

This conversaton is becoming very intersting for me now.

Originally Posted by G37Sam
See if your aim is to reduce the exhaust note without hurting performance, you'll need some mufflers and resonators, those valves will hurt especially in the high end.

If you however plan on getting them to bring the exhaust note down when you approach cops etc.. then it might be a good idea actually and I have been considering it for a while, especially after my headers come in.

Sam, you are right on the spot, i am looking at a Mod by which i can install headers, exhausts and all the lot, yet void being caught by traffic police for a noisy car.

Mind you, you may also want to be quite and avoid attraction when you are out with your girl and trying to have a peacful quite time

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
You might research active or removable tail silencers. I think that Apexi makes the active silencers.

Kahboom, i have come across the Apexi silencers, but i am not sure of how easy are they to install and control. Any idea?

Can anyone else provide feedback on similar exprience on other cars?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
JLai

Sam, you are right on the spot, i am looking at a Mod by which i can install headers, exhausts and all the lot, yet void being caught by traffic police for a noisy car.
Then you have this all wrong. These valves will make your car louder when you have the valve open. Open pipes = louder than going through exhaust.

Its not going to quiet your car down from what you already have. If you want to make it quieter, then you need a silencer like Kahboom mentioned.

Quick Reply: Butterfly Exhaust Valve