Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

WTF how long do HFC's last for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Nickkg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF how long do HFC's last for?

So for the past two weeks I was convinced I had and exhaust leak in my driver side flex pipe. Today I was finally able to sneak to the exhaust shop during lunch, as they put my car on the lift we started looking at the exhaust and realized the flex pipes are a little ripped up but they are deff not letting air out. After the mechanic realized there was no leak he was like its fine be happy your not spending money because everythings fine. I knew something was wrong and was like no I'm tellin you I've lost a good amount of low end and top end power and the car sounds like **** at WOT. So after forcing him to lift the car back up and rev it we realized there was all kinds of really loud metal clanking sounds on de-accel coming from the passenger side Fast Intentions HFC. It sounds horrible! Then we even turned the car off and he started tapping it and it sounds like some big metal peice is stuck inside of it. What do I do? Is it a bad idea to maybe just gut the cats? Is it possible to just buy one HFC? or Maybe move on to test pipes? Any ideas??
Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
SOLISIMO

Have you considered calling FI instead of posting this and getting answers from people that have no clue what they are talking about? Tony will take care of you
Old 12-14-2009, 03:06 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Call up tony. I'm sure he will take care of this asap.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:12 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
could always gut the HFC and making them test pipes, that is if FI doesn't replace them
Old 12-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Nickkg37s

Well one of the main reason's I posted this was to see if there was a quick easy way to get around having call up tony and see If hes will to help me out, then have to wait for a new hfc's ect. Thats if hes even willing to help. Does gutting the cat hurt the car, I figure it would be like a res test pipe if i have it gutted no?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:39 PM
SilverBullet

Yea. A gutted cat is the same as a resonated test pipe. It just looks like a cat. Should be a warranty on your HFCs.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM
saparda

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you know,

i think this is a sign for you man>>>>>to get the LTH
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Nickkg37s

How long does the warranty usually last for I've had my HFCs for over a year now and put over 15 thousand miles on them. What does LTH mean?...Also gutting the cat doesnt sound like to bad of an idea. Maybe I'll give Tony a call later on today. The way I look at it though if im going to have to go take off these hfcs might as well move on to test pipes or something that will give me more sound and power no?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
SilverBullet

LTH is long tube headers. It is headers that have a test pipe too. I don't know the warranty for FI, but Kinetix is a million mile warranty.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Lth means long tube headers...

Tony will help you out for sure. Ask him what to do.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Nickkg37s

Ohhhhhh lol learn something new everyday. And ok ok you guys talked me into it I'll call tony after work! Thank you all for the quick responses!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
FastIntentions
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Yea. A gutted cat is the same as a resonated test pipe. It just looks like a cat. Should be a warranty on your HFCs.
A gutted cat is not like a resonated test pipe. It does not have a resonator and is straight through so in theory it is closer to being a test pipe...

Thanks, Tony
Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
SilverBullet

I guess you are right. Haha. My mistake. If you get the resonated HFC and then gut it, it will be a resonated test pipe.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
FastIntentions
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickkg37s
So for the past two weeks I was convinced I had and exhaust leak in my driver side flex pipe. Today I was finally able to sneak to the exhaust shop during lunch, as they put my car on the lift we started looking at the exhaust and realized the flex pipes are a little ripped up but they are deff not letting air out. After the mechanic realized there was no leak he was like its fine be happy your not spending money because everythings fine. I knew something was wrong and was like no I'm tellin you I've lost a good amount of low end and top end power and the car sounds like **** at WOT. So after forcing him to lift the car back up and rev it we realized there was all kinds of really loud metal clanking sounds on de-accel coming from the passenger side Fast Intentions HFC. It sounds horrible! Then we even turned the car off and he started tapping it and it sounds like some big metal peice is stuck inside of it. What do I do? Is it a bad idea to maybe just gut the cats? Is it possible to just buy one HFC? or Maybe move on to test pipes? Any ideas??
Not to say that it impossible for a cat to go bad, but it is very, very rare.

-How long ago did you buy them?
-Are they our Metallic or Ceramic cats?
-DId you buy them directly through us?
-Do you have pictures of the damage?

If it did indeed go bad, I need to see it at least pictures of it and we can go from there. do not worry, we will not leave you out in the cold. Just give me a call when you have a chance...

Thank you, Tony
Fast Intnetions Inc.
(818) 882-2788
Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
SOLISIMO

Problem solved, now onto the headers

Quick Reply: WTF how long do HFC's last for?