Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen HFC's & Cat Back Exhaust & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM
edge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen HFC's & Cat Back Exhaust & More

I have had my G37 6MT for a year and a half now and I am ready to do something more to it.

I have a Stillen G3 Intake on it since Feb and I love it, but the mod bug is bitting hard and not giving up. I was looking at getting some HFC's and and Exhaust while I was at it. I am not looking for the loudest sound, but I just want to open up the flow some. I was recently on the phone with Stillen, and they priced out a set up for me. This included the HFC's, CBE, Lightweight Pulley (w/ belt), Grounding Kit, and Sway Bars (why not go for it all while I have the exhaust off). They quoted me around US $2100 shipped. I would do all the install myself, so that save me a few dollars.

I guess my question is, is this a good deal and would this be a good set up? How much power would i be putting to the wheels? Would this require me to get on the dyno and get a tune, or would getting a Cobb be a better option for tuning this setup?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
BocaIvan

Sounds like a good deal. You may lose some low end power but makeit up in the top end. As far as a tune Cobb is a good product because you can change the stages or go back to stock if need be.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 AM
SOLISIMO

There are a ton of exhaust that make more power than stillen. There is a reason why little to no one is running the full stillen exhaust.

HFC's = Berks or Fast Intentions
Exhaust = MXP, Fast Intentions etc. these are equivilent to a true dual. Do your research
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Buying a Stillen exhaust for the Coupe (in my opinion) is like going to pizza hut for pizza
Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 AM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Buying a Stillen exhaust for the Coupe (in my opinion) is like going to pizza hut for pizza
Holy crap thats one way of putting it
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM
edge540

How much power are we talking about? 2-3 hp for what, another 400 dollars or so? I don't think it would be worth it for myself. I don't want anything too loud either, if I could get the FI CF exhaust for about the same price as the Stillen Exhaust then I would be more apt to look into it.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:24 AM
SOLISIMO

Ok............

Remember we've been here for a while
Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by edge540
How much power are we talking about? 2-3 hp for what, another 400 dollars or so? I don't think it would be worth it for myself. I don't want anything too loud either, if I could get the FI CF exhaust for about the same price as the Stillen Exhaust then I would be more apt to look into it.
Then in that case, might as well get an exhaust custom fabricated locally.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
edge540

What is it about the Stillen Exhaust that everybody does not like? I have seem plenty of threads saying to not get Stillen, but have not really seen a reson yet. Not loud enough? Does not open up the flow enough? It's hard to judge these things when there is no shop where I live and no one else has a G37 atleast that I have seen here. I am solely basing my decision on the opinions I have read.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM
BocaIvan

Let's assume there is nothing "wrong" with the Stillen exhaust/products. What the others are saying is that you can get a much better exhaust for a couple hundrend dollars more. Personally, if you have a coupe, I would go with either MXP or FI. If you want to save a little bit of money, buy a used one from a member on the forum.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 AM
SOLISIMO

Stillen was the first company to come out with an exhaust I believe when the G37 was released and I mean it was quick. Personally I think they make parts in quantity rather than quality just to make the money

I had a Stillen Splitter, it fell off
I had a Stillen Roof Spoiler it didnt fit and ended up selling it

Im done with them and apprently youve done your research and can see others have the same feeling. Now the 370z guys love them but that is bc once again they were the first to come out with the exhaust and all the impatient people went and bought them, now there are tons of better sounding and better options
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 AM
SOLISIMO

On the other hand their intakes are good but it took them THREE tries to get it right, way bc the rushed the product for the money
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

When stillen first came out with their exhaust (as they do with every other product basically) for the coupe, it had poor fitment & quality. It sounded "ok" but had the tendency to rasp at high revs. That's why they lost it. Now they're saying they revised it and it has better quality & fitment.

Personally, if I'm upgrading, might as well do it right. Not necessarily saying FI, there's MXP, ARK and many other nice ones. It's your car in the end, if you feel comfortable going for the stillen go ahead and write a review. Sedan guys swear by the stillen exhausts though.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
Now the 370z guys love them but that is bc once again they were the first to come out with the exhaust and all the impatient people went and bought them, now there are tons of better sounding and better options
Agree with Solis! With all the other options now (especially FI, have a look their thread over there), many are regretting jumping on the stillen wagon when it first came out.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 AM
BocaIvan

Sedan guy here, I went with Greddy, couldn't be any happier with it

Quick Reply: Stillen HFC's & Cat Back Exhaust & More