Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Just installed my CAI Injens (no mechanical experience) small review

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
wipeoutlol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my CAI Injens (no mechanical experience) small review

Hey all, first performance mod. Ordered my Injen intakes from Import DPS.. Fast shipping thanks to them..

This was my first time doing a performance mod on my car, although not as sophisticated as anything else. I did a short ram on my civic a while ago but that was nothing. I will say this can easily be done by someone without any mechanical experience.

First, taking off the bumper was pretty easy although timely thanks to the DIY write up...

Taking off the actual bumper sounded painful after all the bolts were taken off. there were 2 bolts that were silver the rest were black, I forgot where those 2 go specifically I couldve put em in the wrong place but im not sure. I just put them in the wheel well connecting the bumper.

Next time I'm going to put labels for groups of screws heh.

The only bitch of the whole intallation was removing the drivers side air resonator which took me about an hour heh. Couldnt get the screw driver to pop the clip. But I managed to do it from underneath after a long *** time..

Removing the stock intakes and the washer reservoir was easy as hell.

Putting in the actual Injen tubes required some shoving into place, and the filters themselves had to be pushed against some stuff to fit, but nothing too bad.

Putting the bumper back on was kind of strange, i snapped it back on but it seemed like the clips on the middle passenger side got damage or something cause it seems kind of loose, more of a gap there than there was before. And while bolting on the metal bracket that says (LH) or whatever, i heard a snap when screwing it in, not sure what I broke.

Also dropped 2 screws from my clumsiness...and being the genious that I am I forgot to hook up the power to the motor on the new washer reservoir as well as plugging in the black plug lol. So once I take off the bumper again to hook that up Ill find those loose screws my car has. I'll probably do it in a few thousand miles to clean the filters while Im at it.

All in all the install took me 6.5 hours. A lot of that time taking out drivers side resonator, and reading the instructions on my laptop.

The rubber tubes that hold the intake to the motor on the drivers side is a little awkward shaped since the intake tube is pushing out at it cause it doesnt PERFECTLY fit on the drivers side but its not that bad or noticeable.

The car sounds really loud with WIDE OPEN THROTTLE past 4k RPM and stock exhaust now. I really do notice a speed increase. Sorry no DYNO.

All in all very pleased with the intake, although its the only one I tried. Well worth the price and I would recommend it to a fellow G37 owner.

I could include pics if someone really wants them, but theyll just look the same as any other pic people have uploaded. I might upload the bumper pic in case people are curious.

I had battery disconnected for some hours, and I do notice a LOSS in MPG from 26-27mpg highway to 23-24 mpg highway. and about a ~2mpg loss on city driving. Not sure if its because ECU needs to learn to use it or not.

Anyways, I'll be contemplating which mod to hit up next in the meantime. A twin turbo would be a dream, way too expensive though
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
BocaIvan

Good job, mods are always better when you do them yourself.

Get an exhaust next, you can install that yourself also.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^would highly recommend a lift though.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 PM
wipeoutlol

Yeah heard some great things about HFC, test pipes and exhausts... but also heard it robs some power from the intakes.

I would definitely have to find out how to get a lift.

Had anyone tried to pop out the fake vents for the Injen CAIs for maybe better gains?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM
denishot

don't install HFCs or test pipes by yourself please lol
Old 11-01-2009, 11:52 PM
TommyG37S

Yeah I totally love my Injens too, install overall wasn't too bad...I as well hated taking the bumper off...oh well gonna have to do it again in the future to clean'em. I am as well getting HFC 's soon but definitely gonna get as shop to do it after reading all the horror stories on here
Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyG37S
Yeah I totally love my Injens too, install overall wasn't too bad...I as well hated taking the bumper off...oh well gonna have to do it again in the future to clean'em. I am as well getting HFC 's soon but definitely gonna get as shop to do it after reading all the horror stories on here

That sucks you got to take the bumper off to clean those air filters!

That's the prob with a lot of the Cold Air intakes on the G. When you need to clean the filters. You will need to completely remove the CAI to do so. What a f'ing PITA!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
2010g37sblack

Now, the question is...will you need to remove the bumper everytime the filters need cleaning???
Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Yup. Sure do!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
2010g37sblack

I've read from other postings that the filters only need cleaning or replacement every 25,000 miles and do not need to be oiled.

What's the real info on these filters that are supplied with the Injen CAI?

Obviously, I don't think anyone would want to clean the filter out every other oil change like that of an AEM or competitor product. Imagine spending +1hr to remove and reinstall the bumper and another +1hr to clean the filter.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010g37sblack
I've read from other postings that the filters only need cleaning or replacement every 25,000 miles and do not need to be oiled.

What's the real info on these filters that are supplied with the Injen CAI?

Obviously, I don't think anyone would want to clean the filter out every other oil change like that of an AEM or competitor product. Imagine spending +1hr to remove and reinstall the bumper and another +1hr to clean the filter.
I'm not sure about the Injen, but Stillen says their K+N filters on the Gen3 only need cleaning every 50K miles (I am doing it every 20K just to be safe) so I would imagine it is somewhere in the same neighborhood