Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review MXP Exhaust w/ Before & After *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking MXP Exhaust w/ Before & After *Video*

Well, many of you know of my struggle to find the perfect exhaust for me. So here is the result.

I finally got the MXP exhaust installed and even made a before and after video. I have to say that this is the perfect exhaust. The video does not do the sound justice. It sounds so great in person. It keeps that great stock tone but makes it louder. And not obnoxiously loud either. Just enough to turn heads and make you grin from ear to ear. I can't wait to get it on the track to see the difference. I also have a dyno day coming up soon where I will be able to determine the hp increase.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nVtIGokReGI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nVtIGokReGI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Here are a couple of grades that I give this exhaust:

Quality - (A) - The quality the superb. Very sturdy, Great welds, quality bolts. The flange gaskets could have been a little better since they looking more like coated cardboard. Not sure if there was a reason behind this though.

Fitment - (A) - The entire thing was very easy to install. Had one minor issue with the tips not lining up right. (right was 1/4 inch higher than left). Other than that, it was perfect. We just went back and adjusted the connections, which the flanges allowed for minor adjustments. Front flanges could have been an 1/8 thinner to allow the nut to thread a little more on the bolt.

Install - (A) - Took about an hour to install AND adjust the the tips and the fitment. This does not include the additional hour that it took for us to uninstall the stock exhaust.

Value - (A+) - IMO this is the best exhaust for the money as far as quality and fitment.

Tips - (A) - One of the tips was angled just a hair off, which I could tell since I am very detail-oriented. However, with that exception, I thought the tips were perfect. They walls were not super thick and bulky and the burnt was not extremely aggressive. As some of you know, I was not into burnt tips. However, these tips are extremely nice and I am very impressed. They actually compliment my paint rather well. I love how there is not too much gold in them and don't look like a rainbow of colors. The length of them are even adjustable depending if you prefer conservative/aggressive look. I chose aggressive.

Air Flow - (A) - Keeps that dual exhaust yet still has an H pipe to balance it out. It has dual canister mufflers which was a big deal for me. I did not want an exhaust that only had one muffler since it creates an air restriction. Great mandrel bends.

Sound - (A++++++) - This was my biggest concern when looking for an exhaust. I did not want a ricey or raspy sound. I really liked the stock sound but just wanted it more aggressive and louder. And IMO, no video clip will give you that ear to ear grin as listening to this exhaust in person. WOW! I love it! Perfect! When I took it for a test drive right afterwards and receive many head turns. Not because it was loud either. At idle, it sounds stock, but give it a little gas and it comes to life. I even had some complimentary pictures taken, okay maybe that wasn't the exhaust but it sure helps. From the cabin, it doesn't really get much louder than stock. You can tell if you are listening for it driving casually, but I could talk on the phone without the other person hearing anything. When you get on it, you can hear it but it is too loud that you couldn't talk on the phone. The only downfall is that now I would rather be on the outside of my car listening while someone else drives.

Ground Clearance (A) - Being lowered on Eibachs, I became concerned as we were installing and I saw that it was going to be an issue. However, I tested it out, by accident of course, and had to go over 2 speed bumps and a driveway dip. Had no issue with the normal height speed bumps. Actually hit my cats on one of them but no damage whatsoever to the exhaust. Had no issue without the dip either. IMO as long as you are aware and be careful you should be good. I was going extremely slow in all three of these incidences.

Exhaust Leak Issues (A+) - None

Overall - The perfect exhaust!

Hope this helps all those out there that are having to make the tough decision of choosing an exhaust. I understand that some of you may disagree with my opinions as stated above, but for me, this was the best decision that I could have made and I know for sure that I won't feel the need to re-modify my catback.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 PM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do people insist on making exhaust videos in a tunnel, parking garage, or between two buildings.....

nice review otherwise
Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Heat

The buildings didn't make any difference. Didn't realize it would be an issue.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:45 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by Heat
The buildings didn't make any difference. Didn't realize it would be an issue.
Buildings echo the sound big time

Im dying to hear this thing with test pipes though
Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO

Theirs a member with MXP and test pipes dude. It sound pretty sweet
Old 10-04-2009, 03:23 PM
heff

would love to hear without buidings like stated above : ) good write up tho heat, thnx
Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up, looks like a great exhaust
Old 10-04-2009, 03:51 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Finally bro! Congrats
Old 10-04-2009, 03:56 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Finally bro! Congrats

Oh ****, watch out this could get ugly. lol
Old 10-04-2009, 04:00 PM
SOLISIMO

bwahahahahahaha
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Finally bro! Congrats

Good one Sam
Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM
gan78mao

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO

im running AAM non resonated test pipes with this setup!
i was tryign to make a video of underload the other day but video cam acted dumb and it was wayy too loud so i have to find anotehr time to do it again!
ill get that video made soon.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Originally Posted by gan78mao
im running AAM non resonated test pipes with this setup!
i was tryign to make a video of underload the other day but video cam acted dumb and it was wayy too loud so i have to find anotehr time to do it again!
ill get that video made soon.

Let me borrow ur car Alex...
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
nogoodname
Banned

lol Sam... not again............. interwebs slap to come ur way

also, JKashat has this with test pipes...
Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds great Heat congrats!

I have a feling you're gonna hate me soon tho

Quick Reply: Review MXP Exhaust w/ Before & After *Video*