Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tanabe Medalion Owners Past and Present

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tanabe Medalion Owners Past and Present

Few questions on the Tanabes for those that have or had these. Planning to keep the car stock but thinking of changing out to Tanabes. I have a 7AT so that may make a difference and a lot of my driving is around 40-50 MPH.

Now I did do a search and some say that there is droning and some say there isn't so can I get people experience experience with this system? Is there droning and at what RPMs?

Is this loud in cabin? No sure if I can deal with that on a daily basis....

Obnoxiously loud from the outside? Last thing I want is to have my G sound like a Civic screaming LOOK AT ME I"M A RICER.

I did see vids but those can be very misleading.

Last edited by MaxdOut; 08-19-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you just plan on getting the Tanabes you'll be fine, mix them with TP's or HFC's then they are loud
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Tanabe was very quite and had no drone. Then I added BERK HFC and it got like 10 times louder. I also wrapped mine with header wrap and havent had any drone at all still.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Triple_X

^^ sound clips? possibly before and after HFC ?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Raizon

I get a little drone between 2k - 2.5k rpm. The cabin will get a bit more noisy but very minimal. The outside sounds great...not too loud but enough to notice its not stock. Pairing with HFC or TPs will make it scream which is probably something you don't want.

If you want something a bit quieter on the inside, you might want to consider Invidia or Fujitsubo exhausts.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did not do before or afters. But the sound goes up quite a bit when you add HFC.

Tanabe by itself was barely noticable over stock.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I am more conservative than most, and I will say that the Tanabes are noticably louder than stock. Once you get to speed, it quiets down to stock levels, but on acceleration (any, not just WOT), you will notice its louder, deeper, and more aggresive.

I am glad I got them and love to rev in tunnels and stuff, but I can see myself going back to stock once I have had enough...then I will probably put them back on again when I think its too quiet. lol

And IMO, nothing beats the look of duel cans over the big one-piece stock setup.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 PM
DG37

It's the sheeeeeit. I rest my case.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I too had Tanabe and like them but they were a little bit loud for my more conservative taste. However, I did Have HFC before getting them, so I can't say how loud they'd have been without HFC. They are only loud under hard acceleration or WOT, at least noticeably so. With the HFC I had an ever so slight drone at highway cruising at a constant speed. Not much but slight.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I too had Tanabe and like them but they were a little bit loud for my more conservative taste. However, I did Have HFC before getting them, so I can't say how loud they'd have been without HFC. They are only loud under hard acceleration or WOT, at least noticeably so. With the HFC I had an ever so slight drone at highway cruising at a constant speed. Not much but slight.

hmmmmm I trust your reviews so I had a feeling they'd be too loud for my liking, but I missed the part where I made bold. This could be the selling point for me.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:01 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Minimal drone, if at all, inside the cabin. Sounds very nice from inside and outside the car. Not obnoxious at all, deep and has a growl. Noticeably different and louder than stock. I, too, like the dual canister look.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple_X
hmmmmm I trust your reviews so I had a feeling they'd be too loud for my liking, but I missed the part where I made bold. This could be the selling point for me.
Under normal acceleration and idling it is louder than stock but not a lot. When you press the skinny pedal on the right, it springs instantly to life. Under WOT with HFCs this is a loud exhaust, no question about it. Especially in the upper RPM range from about 4.5K to redline. If you drive reasonably most of the time, it's not obnoxiouls even for a more "mature" driver like me. However, some of us find it difficult to drive reasonably most of the time.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Triple_X

hahaha thanks for clarifying. I think I'll wait for the tanabe catback if they ever make it so if it's too loud I can justify it anyways
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
TreSe7en
Registered Member

Ii have tanabes, and they are loud when you want them to be. Normal daily acceleration is noticeably louder than stock, it might sound loud to you at first , but you'll get used to it quickly cause it sounds good nothing in anyway like a fartcan civic.

BTW, I have one for sale in the classifieds =]
Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I talked to Tanabe a little while ago, they have no plans to make a catback because during R&D, it was deemed to be not worth the cost.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Owners Past and Present