Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tanabe Medalion Owners Past and Present

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Triple_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn
Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
gthal

I had the same concerns as many here. Wanted the deep growl and louder exhaust just not TOO loud. I found it REALLY hard to find sound clips that I could judge from inside and out. They exist but it was hard to tell because the car also had either HFCs or a y-pipe or something.

I ordered and am expecting to have them on this weekend. I am then taking a little road trip (6 hours) during which they should break in a bit. Within a week or two I will try to do some quality inside/outside videos that REALLY help answer these questions. My car is now stock except the Tanabes when they are installed so any sound will only be the axle back exhaust.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Triple_X

^^ awesome thanks man. that would help a ton of people, including myself
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Definitly would like to hear it too! Yeah the videos I found, it seemed everyone of them had something more than the Tanabes.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

One thing that I am really interested in knowing is how does the sound compare to the new ARK cat back. If it's not too much more than the Tanabes, maybe that would be the way to go. Plus I would be getting rid of that annoying crackling sound from the stock exhaust as it cools after driving.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
the head tech at my infiniti dealership installed mine and said this was the best sounding aftermarket exhaust he ever heard on a g. no rasp, very little drone if any at all, stock sound only a bit deeper and louder at hard acceleration.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 PM
pharmade

I've said it many times....the Tanabe exhaust is the shiznit. First, as everyone I think will agree, fit and finish is fabulous. The dual cans look great. I am a professional in my early 50's and do not find this car too loud and no droning under normal driving conditions, including cruising at 70-80 mph. My car is completely stock except for the exhaust. If you want to make it loud, just open her up to 6500 rpm and listen to the beautiful music. Come on, it's a 330 hp GT sports coupe, how quiet do you want it? Absolutely no regrets here.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:58 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will tell you this, my fiance HATES me modding my car. I have to do everything without her knowing (I had to tell her my rims were only 1000 dollars).

I actually installed my Tanabe exhaust one afternoon and she rode in my car several times after that and never once knew. Even I could barely notice a difference.

Then a month later I added the BERK HFC.... next afternoon we were going to dinner. She got in my car and I turned it on, instantly she turned to me and scoweled at me. But for a month before that I drove all around with her and she never realized it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Triple_X

looks like I'll be getting these. Thanks guy.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I will tell you this, my fiance HATES me modding my car. I have to do everything without her knowing (I had to tell her my rims were only 1000 dollars).

I actually installed my Tanabe exhaust one afternoon and she rode in my car several times after that and never once knew. Even I could barely notice a difference.

Then a month later I added the BERK HFC.... next afternoon we were going to dinner. She got in my car and I turned it on, instantly she turned to me and scoweled at me. But for a month before that I drove all around with her and she never realized it.
you should have said something was wrong with the engine and you will get it fixed soon.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
you should have said something was wrong with the engine and you will get it fixed soon.
lol...honey i think i need new headers...they are malfunctioning
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've had the Tanabes for a couple of months now.

At first, it was pretty loud in the cabin, but like what everyone said, the sound settled down a bit.

Drone is there but very minimal. Doesn't really bother me at all.

One negative is that it totally changed the sound of the VQ's stock exhaust. Although I like the Tanabe's sound, I would rather have that amplified stock exhaust sound.

Overall though, I'm happy with them.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

If you just want amplified stock, then put your stock muffler back on and get some high flow cats.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Triple_X

^^ but then it is raspy as hell isn't it??
Old 08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by myk1013
I've had the Tanabes for a couple of months now.

At first, it was pretty loud in the cabin, but like what everyone said, the sound settled down a bit.

Drone is there but very minimal. Doesn't really bother me at all.

One negative is that it totally changed the sound of the VQ's stock exhaust. Although I like the Tanabe's sound, I would rather have that amplified stock exhaust sound.

Overall though, I'm happy with them.
How do you have Titanium tipped Tanabe exhaust? They dont make that for the G37
Old 09-11-2009, 02:44 PM
TIMMAY

I have the Tanabes without anything else and LOOOOOVE em!

Deep, rich tone on acceleration. Noticeably louder than stock but definitely not annoyingly so. When at constant speed, such as 40 mph street or 70-80 mph highway, it's basically silent! Only when you change the air flow going through the exhaust, letting off the gas or accelerating, does it growl.

With the windows up, even with hard acceleration, it's relatively muted/quiet and still enjoyable to be in the car. One of my friends had heard my car from the outside but i just took him for a ride the other day and he commented how surprised he was that it was comparatively quiet inside (with the windows up). With the windows down, the Tanabe's deep tone COULD be considered a bit much for some of the more conservative, but it's not that loud, in general, to bystanders as you drive by. As others said, just about the right volume to be sporty but not annoying. Fits the car.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Owners Past and Present