Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Not Impressed with the Stillen Gen 3 Intake! :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Igor911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Impressed with the Stillen Gen 3 Intake! :(

So after about 4-5 hours of pure pain on my hands, I managed to get this thing installed.

I started off my removing the OEM intake, dropping the front bumper and then proceeding to dremel out the larger holes for the pipes. All was good, just a very tedious process for something so simple as an intake.

Here is the part that gets me...The drivers side upper tube (that connects to the manifold) seems to rest up against the body of the car! Also, the lower tube on the drivers side, that connects to the upper tube VIA the cupler, hardly fits into the cupler!

Now the part that really gets me...the test drive. During slow turns, I can hear something rubbing inside of my engine bay (I'm guessing it's the drivers side pipe). At wide open throttle there is hardly ANY sound coming from these intakes. I thought that with a dual intake system, I would be blown away with a huge growling sound??? I've had a Injen intake on my Maxima, K&N long tube on my G35 and a AEM on my TL Type S and they all were at least 3x louder than this Stillen Gen 3 intake???

Did I not install something correctly or is everyone getting these same results?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I didnt have amy upper tube rubbing against anything. Mine fits fine into the cupplers. The dremeling the front core support is tedious and a PIA. Mine is louder at full throddel. You may wanna try to adjust the pipes and see if you can get them to sit in there better. If ya want I can take a pic o mine for you to look at how it sits in there.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Igor911

Originally Posted by Buckeye G
I didnt have amy upper tube rubbing against anything. Mine fits fine into the cupplers. The dremeling the front core support is tedious and a PIA. Mine is louder at full throddel. You may wanna try to adjust the pipes and see if you can get them to sit in there better. If ya want I can take a pic o mine for you to look at how it sits in there.
Yes, please. I am going to go out into the parking lot now and snap some pictures of mine so we can compare.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
G-Rocket

Igor,

I really wanna see and hear your intake. I am trying to get an intake but I do not want it loud. I think the car is loud enough....
I have also heard complains from the Stillen that something is not fitting as it is supposed to.
I wander if the short tube intakes are loud....
Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Igor911

Here are photos I just took outside:

Had to position the lower clamp sideways to make the pipe not fall out of the cupler:

Rubbing:

Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Yeah the fitment is not perfect, I have rubbing issues on the driver side too.. However the sound is insanely loud on those. I have test pipes & FI catback and the only thing I hear at WOT are my intakes. You can check my videos
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Injen for the wiiiiinnnn. I think everyone has the rubbing problem with these. I know two people who install
these
Old 07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Igor911

So I wonder why mine are so quiet...wtf
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i just went to Home Depot and got some felt (the stuff that has a sticky side and a felt side) for like $1.99 and cut a very small piece and put it between the car and the pipe on the driver's side (with the sticky side on the car) and it took care of it completely. and because the piece is so small you cant see it unless you actually move the piping.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
you sure it can handle the heat?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Looks like the second part of the intake is not on correctly.

Double check tubes are marked 1 & 2 as i recall.

please do not take the wrong way(there is a left & right side that fits but not ness. on correctly)

mine dont sit like that at all,i have plent of space on my car.

And I also happend to speaking just yesterday about intake.

They make more velocity through tubbing, not more air flow so not really louder just a better air flow.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
That sux. I know a few guys that wish they did not but Stillen . Injen baby !!! No cutting required and looks great ..
Old 07-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Igor911

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Looks like the second part of the intake is not on correctly.

Double check tubes are marked 1 & 2 as i recall.

please do not take the wrong way(there is a left & right side that fits but not ness. on correctly)

mine dont sit like that at all,i have plent of space on my car.

And I also happened to speaking just yesterday about intake.

They make more velocity through tubbing, not more air flow so not really louder just a better air flow.
It's impossible that they are installed incorrectly. If I had switched the pipes, they would not fit (look at the bends)

Do you have pics of your setup?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Remo101

I had the same problem with the tube rubbing on the body. I put some plastic piping (that is used as a door edge projector) on the metel body that was rubbing on the tube. That seems to help.

I switched to an Injen CAI. The Stillen fitment was not very good.

I'm not looking forward to cleaning my air filters with the Injen. Looks like I will have to take the bumper off.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sucks to hear about your issues.

SRI FTW!

Quick Reply: Not Impressed with the Stillen Gen 3 Intake! :(