Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tanabe Medalion question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:25 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tanabe Medalion question

So I know there's a lot of discussion about different bolt-on mods giving/losing power. So my question is, if I were to consider getting the Tanabe Medalion exhaust, what kind of gains/losses might I expect while running a stock system otherwise? I have heard nothing but good things about these with all of the thread searching I've been doing. I just do NOT want to lose low end torque...that's where I spend more of my daily driving, not in the high RPM range where I need a few more horses. Thanks for the help y'all.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 AM
The1andOnly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No gains or losses really with the Tanabe's. You'll definitely shave some weight though. A nice subtle change in tone though. I had these when they came out, and I didn't really feel any difference.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by The1andOnly
No gains or losses really with the Tanabe's. You'll definitely shave some weight though. A nice subtle change in tone though. I had these when they came out, and I didn't really feel any difference.
Thanks man...yeah, the tone still sounds OEM, just a hair louder. I still wish our G37 exhaust sounded like the G35.....there's one that lives a few doors down from me, and I KNOW there's a difference in tone. Any thoughts on what exhaust sounds more like the G35? I think the Tanabe would accomplish this by keeping the Infiniti "purr", but amplifying it.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 AM
The1andOnly

I agree. Honestly, I've gone through to many exhausts already since I had my G35. But the Tanabe does the job to get that louder tone, but still keeps that VQ sound. Even the HKS on my G37 is different from my HKS I had on my G35.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No gain no loss with my Tanabe.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
RedG37SNC

Nobody's ever done a dyno that I know of but I'd have to agree with the butt dyno concensus. Pick Tanabe if you want top notch dual exhaust looks, quality build, lower tone and more volume expecially when stepping on it. Add a Y-Pipe and you'll get even more volume but if you add HFC's as well you'll be droning somewhat.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I felt a slight butt dyno gain when I had them. It could have simply been the large weight reduction.

They looked and sounded great and certainly had no low end loss. They sound and look great; they were a little too loud for me at the time but I now kind of regret selling mine. I disagree with many in that they are only slightly louder - to my ears they are significantly louder and sound much deeper and throatier than stock. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with the sound, build quality, or the gains.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
SEATOWNBOY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I felt a slight butt dyno gain when I had them. It could have simply been the large weight reduction.

They looked and sounded great and certainly had no low end loss. They sound and look great; they were a little too loud for me at the time but I now kind of regret selling mine. I disagree with many in that they are only slightly louder - to my ears they are significantly louder and sound much deeper and throatier than stock. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with the sound, build quality, or the gains.
Totally agree with Betty. I got the Tanabe's on mine and they are definitely louder... in a good way. They sound real good with their deep throaty growl. Plenty of looks. You really need to hear them in person to appreciate the sound they produce.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty

Originally Posted by SEATOWNBOY
Totally agree with Betty. I got the Tanabe's on mine and they are definitely louder... in a good way. They sound real good with their deep throaty growl. Plenty of looks. You really need to hear them in person to appreciate the sound they produce.
I agree!! definitely louder than stock...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 PM
heff

RedG37SNC has the best sounding tanabes IMO search for his vid and it sounds KILLER!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by heff
RedG37SNC has the best sounding tanabes IMO search for his vid and it sounds KILLER!!!

Lol...did that search last night my friend, loved his videos. Damn, my mod trigger finger is getting itchy.....must....not....reach....for......credit card.

Thanks for all of your opinions guys. B.B., are you still running the Invidia exhaust? I know you had gotten rid of the Tanabes for the Invidia, and wanted your thoughts on it.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He misses his Tanabe everyday
Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Lol...did that search last night my friend, loved his videos. Damn, my mod trigger finger is getting itchy.....must....not....reach....for......credit card.

Thanks for all of your opinions guys. B.B., are you still running the Invidia exhaust? I know you had gotten rid of the Tanabes for the Invidia, and wanted your thoughts on it.
The Invidia is not bad but it just sounds very different than the Tanabe, it's quieter and raspier. At the time I made the change, I wanted something just a little quieter than the Tanabe. Now that I don't have them I miss them like ucla bruin said. The volume under hard acceleration or WOT and the amount of in cabin noise at cruising speed were the reasons I got rid of them; but I'm more particular than most and didn't want it too loud. The tone was glorious IMO, just perfect with no rasp.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Just get it already Justin.

ha ha ha.

I want the Tanabe's as well but I'm looking for burnt tips.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 AM
wrathletik1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^tanabes with burnt tips would be sick

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion question